Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Trains and Boats and Planes-Traveling The Mid-Century Modern Way

April 27, 2010

Trains and Boats and Planes-Traveling The Mid-Century Modern Way

By Sablemable aka Jan

What fun it must have been to travel across the nation and the world in trains, boats and planes during the Fifties!  Take a look at the advertisements of that time and see if you don’t agree with me.

I had fun.  Did you?

7 Responses to Trains and Boats and Planes-Traveling The Mid-Century Modern Way

1. Brini Reply

April 27, 2010 at 10:18 am

Such glamour! It’s so much fun to look back at a time when the economics of travel permitted commodious luxury…

April 27, 2010 at 10:39 am

How awesome would that be if planes were still like that and not the cattle car they are today?

3. Annie B. Reply

April 27, 2010 at 11:26 am

Thank you, Sable!! These are SO great! My mom was a “stewardess”, as they were called, with American Airlines in the late 1940’s. We still have some of the airline flatware used in meal service……really cool! She has a thousand stories about having celebrities, etc. on her flights. What an elegant era!

April 27, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Wow, look at the size of those airplane seats!

I do really wish train travel wasn’t so expensive – these ads make it look so elegant, too!

5. Miri Reply

April 27, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I love the beds on the planes! I recently saw an old movie that had beds on a plane(looked like a Pullman car).

April 27, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!! LOL @cattle cars! More like sardine cans.

Annieeeeeeeeeeeee!!! How neat that your Mom was a stewardess! My late sister-in-law stewed for TWA in the Fifties and early Sixties.

Too bad we can’t travel back in time just to take a all night flight to Europe so we could sleep on those beds!

April 27, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Awesome post, Jan! LOVE those airline beds…what I wouldn’t give for one of those now…