Home » MCM Fun » Guest Bloggers » Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Sara Spots A Tempe Time Capsule!

April 6, 2010

Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Sara Spots A Tempe Time Capsule!

Thanks for the great post, Sara!  This is amazing!!!!

Someone, I need smelling salts……..Ruth…….Jan…….somebody! I have fainted, and I am in need of serious resuscitation here because I have actually come across a time capsule house here in Tempe – built in 1959!!!! I mean seriously, coming across a time capsule here in the Phoenix area is about as likely as spotting a purple cow walking down the street – it just really ain’t gonna happen because most people here want NEW, NEW, NEW…………….wait, I think I see a purple cow! 🙂 This is a time capsule MCM house with pink bathrooms too!!! HOORAY!!! The reason I went to this house in the first place was because there was an Estate Sale going on there – that is why there are random people in the pictures and stuff all over the place. People were looking at me like I had dun’ lost my mind taking all these pictures. I am sure they were thinking, “Girl, don’t you know there is an Estate Sale going on here?” But, I had to get pics for you all to see how FAB this house is.

OMG! First up the the FAN-TAB-U-LOUS front entry/courtyard with the AWESOME open blocks! Who would not kill for this?????

And here is the inside of the courtyard with the cool MCM light!

I am totally OBSESSED with these type of fireplaces. I think it is Flagstone, I completely love it! I don’t know if you can tell from the pic, but there are 3 little stone ledge shelves built into the fireplace.

Onto the kitchen! It still had the original birch wood cabinets – unpainted! Hooray!

Cool built-in’s in the dining room area.

The original counter-tops were a light brown linen look Formica. So Cool!

OK Y’all get out your smelling salts now for the best part of the kitchen……………………………..

The AWESOME OVEN!!!! It is the same concept as the Frigidaire Flair – only these doors swing out to either side, not up. This oven is a Tappan. I wanted to pull the burner slider out, but I just knew if I did all the stuff would fall off. 🙁

These super cute wall sconces were all along the hallway!

This was a cool glass ceiling light shade in one of the bedrooms.

OH! MY! GOSH!  OK y’all get out those smelling salts once again because we are ready to enter pink bathroom territory! As you can see we have a double vanity with all pink tile and 2 pink sinks! The cabinets (and walls) were kind of a light aqua blue. I’m almost wondering if the cabinets originally looked the the wooden ones in the kitchen?

The original vinyl tile flooring, which I think is SUPER cool with all those different colors; and the pink American Standard toilet!

And finally the ultra cool angled pink tub!

LOVE IT!

A retro dresser hides amongst the Estate Sale goodies up for grabs!

The original NuTone Doorbell and a cute little light in the laundry room.

This was the Master Bedroom. It was a little on the smaller side as you would expect for a house back then.

And…….here is the pink Master Bathroom!

Cool black and white vinyl tile in the Master Bathroom.

WOW! What a cool house!

Now, for the bad news kids. The house will be put up for sale, but unfortunately it is not the right size for Mike and I – otherwise I would be all over this place like white on rice! The Real Estate sales flyer said “Price To Follow Home Updates” …………..and we all know what that means! 🙁 I called the agent to see if there was anything they would be willing to sell me but he has yet to return my call. I sincerely hope they do not just throw all of the cool retro stuff out in the garbage. HELP! Does anyone want to buy a time capsule house here in Tempe?

Meanwhile y’all, watch out for those Purple Cows – and let us all know when you spot one! 🙂

11 Responses to Tuesday’s Retro Guest – Sara Spots A Tempe Time Capsule!

1. Leah@Storybook Ranch Reply

April 6, 2010 at 12:48 pm

That is a really rad home!! The oven! The lights, oh my it’s lovely.

p.s.
    Wanna know something funny? I actually brought home some PURPLE COWS at a pretty cool mcm estate sale a few weeks ago

2. Shen Reply

April 6, 2010 at 1:28 pm

That is soooooo fabulous! I love it! Sara, I remember you were looking for a house a few months ago, I had posted a comment on another time capsule house you saw off Camelback. I saw another one to die for, the MLS# is 4341390 and it is in an amazing neighborhood. I am not sure what your budget is but it’s worth looking at. I have never seen a house like that. I want to get my old realtor to just takeme there for a look. haha Thanks for the wonderful photos!

3. Annie B. Reply

April 6, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Pass the smelling salts, Sara!!!!!!!!!!!
    The concrete block screen, the pink tub, that speckled VCT, the light fixtures…..oh, baby! What a house!
    Thanks for scouting this out.

My obsession of the last few years has been mid-mod concrete blocks. They are practically impossible to obtain around here.

April 6, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Leah! Those Purple Cows are adorable! I am totally jealous that you were able to go to that Estate Sale (I saw it over on RR). I was so in love with that curvy couch, like everyone else, but definitely could not have afforded over $1000 for it. Thanks for the comment!

Annie B.! Passing along the smelling salts… 🙂 I think I am finally revived now! I am WAY obsessed with those MCM open block walls too, I would love to have it on a house I lived in. They seem to have been fairly popular here in AZ, so I may find one yet! Thanks for commenting!

Shen!!!! I totally remember your comment on the Camelback house! 🙂 THIS HOUSE, MLS# 4341390, IS AWESOME! Check out the front door – it has the Starburst door knob thing! I love the fireplace too! I will definitely show it to my husband, but unfortunately we were hoping to stay a little closer to the Tempe area since that is where he works. Do you already own a retro house, or are you currently looking for one? Thanks for the MLS link and the comment!

5. Shen Reply

April 6, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Hi Sara! Yes I am a proud owner of a 1952 ranch in Central Phoenix. The house is in most of it’s original glory, I should probably post some pics. I have a pink tile bathroom too with black lino floors.
    I am always on the look out for time capsule homes though because they are now becoming extinct. My realtor who loves vinatge retro homes too says she hardly sees any all “original” homes anymore. 🙁
    Where was this Tempe house at? It is so cool!

April 6, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Hi Shen! OMG your house sounds AWESOME!!! I would love to see pics of it. Please, please, please send some in!!! I am going to show my husband the house you gave me the link to before, maybe I will get lucky and he will like it too! I do not really know that neighborhood at all, you said it was pretty good? I have really been looking for a time capsule for about the past 2 years now and nothing has worked out at all – they are really hard to find. And then, my husband does not want a tiny house – so that is one of my biggest obstacles, if we only had basements here it would make life so much easier! The house in Tempe is at 2111 S. Sierra Vista. It is such a cool house, I wish it were right for us. 🙁 I do not think it is up on the MLS yet because I keep looking and I have not seen anything. I guess they are doing all the “updates” before putting it up on the MLS. 🙁 Let me know if there are any other time capsules you have come across lately.

April 6, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Man, that gorgeous courtyard alone sold me on that place, but it just kept getting better and better!

I really want that Chihuahua statue on top of the retro dresser. Heck, I’d take the dresser, too!

8. Arlene Reply

April 7, 2010 at 3:40 am

Hello! I LOVE this house. I am in Tempe too!! Are you in Tempe? Where are you? I got confused, are you Sara? Or someone who writes and Sara just found the house and sent pics. Where in Tempe is the house?
    I LOVE vintage/retro and would LOVE to meet people in my area who also do!…
    Hope we can chat !
    Arlene

9. Shen Reply

April 7, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Sara, I promise I will take pictures soon and have them posted to share with everyone!
    Time capsule homes, especially big ones, are few and far between nowadays. The first one I sent you and the latest one are a pretty decent size. I think the older one was 1800 sq. ft and the latest one is 2400 sq. ft. or so. I am not sure how big of a house you are looking for. My realtor and I are actually going to go check out the house on 14th Drive on Friday. She is moving away and my final wish to her was to take me to this house! The neighborhood is really nice, it’s worth checking out! I will definitely keep an eye out for you!
    Hopefully we’ll go to the time capsule house on Friday and I will take some pics to share. 🙂
    Central Phoenix is a really nice area, not much cookie cutter stuff here! Even the shops and restaurants are very unique. And it is close to the Melrose district where all the vintage shops are, off 7th Ave between Camelback and Indian School. You must check out this area!

10. Sara In AZ Reply

April 7, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Andrea – So glad you liked the house. The courtyard is the absolute best! Bummer – you should have been here to get the Chihuahua and the dresser. 🙂

Hi Arlene – This blog is Ruth’s (Retro Ruth)and she lives in Michigan, but another lady (Jan) and I alternate every week and do a guest blog for Ruth on Tuesdays. The house is in Tempe and it is at 2111 S. Sierra Vista. You should check it out, it is very cool!

11. Sara In AZ Reply

April 7, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Hi Shen! Definitely looking forward to seeing your house, I know I will be totally jealous!!! 🙂

I think the problem I am running into (with house hunting) is most of the houses are 3 bedrooms, and my husband is pretty adament that if we move it HAS to be a 4 bed. A 3 bedroom would not be a problem if the houses around here only had basements for petes sake, but you know as well as I do that is like spotting a purple cow around here.

Bummer that your realtor is moving away, she sounds like a good friend to have. PLEASE take pics of that house, it looks super awesome – maybe ask them if they want to sell the Starburst on the door? 🙂 I hate how the listing says “In need of a complete remodel”. 🙁

I have looked a around a tiny bit at homes in Central Phoenix, so I know the area a little bit – not that well though. I don’t know if you saw my post a month or so ago when I visited Hollywood Regency Vintage. My friend Jenny works there. The Melrose District does have a lot of cool retro shops. Hollywood Regency just moved to the corner of 7th ave and Indian School inside Zinnias. It is right next to Landis bike shop.

Let me know if you come across any 4 bedrooms! 🙂 Can’t wait to see all your pics!