Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Vintage MCM Books – Trixie Belden

April 13, 2010

Vintage MCM Books – Trixie Belden

I have a fond affection for Trixie Belden books as they were the first mystery stories I read as a young girl.  They are also pure MCM Americana, which makes them even more delightful.

The original author, Julie Campbell, began writing the series in 1948 through 1958 and had six books published during that time frame.  After that, “ghost writers” from the publishing company took over using the pen name of Kathryn Kenny.

Since my own original collection are in a sad state of disrepair, I have been buying up vintage copies.    The following books were put out during the Fifties, in hard cover with a cellophane finish.  Here are Miss Campbell’s books by their original publishing date.

1948

1950

1951

1954

1956

1958

At age 56, I still read my Trixie Belden books, enjoying all of their vintage charms!  Do you have any classic literature that you read over and over again?  Tell me about them!

-Jan

13 Responses to Vintage MCM Books – Trixie Belden

1. Karen/SmallEarthVintage Reply

April 13, 2010 at 9:24 am

I love this! I remember these. I read Trixie, and of course, Nancy Drew. I also remember obsessively checking out Bobbsey Twins books from the library. And I also adored the John R. Neill illustrated Oz books. I was a young reader in the 70s/early 80s, and apparently loved older books and things even then!

April 13, 2010 at 10:24 am

I plumb forgot about The Bobbsey Twins! I think they were also written in the Twenties.

What about Roald Dahl’s James and the Giant Peach?

3. Sara In AZ Reply

April 13, 2010 at 12:42 pm

What cool books Jan! Oooh – the mystery in Arizona, what could that be about? 🙂

4. Annie B. Reply

April 13, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Oh, these are wonderful! What memories.
    My favorite re-read is “The Fifties” by David Halberstam. I highly recommend it for anyone who loves MCM; great history of my favorite era.

April 13, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! You’ll just have to get the book and find out! LOL!

Annieeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! Thanks for the tip on The Fifties. If you re-read it, then I know I will, too!

6. Amanda Reply

April 13, 2010 at 7:24 pm

I loved the Trixie Belden series, when I was sick my Dad would buy me a book to read. My parents had a flea market stall on weekends and there was an older lady who sold books in a stall next to ours, I was hooked. I used to perch myself on a small stool and read. This was the 1970’s. I have some rather old books I’m saving for my neices!

7. Amy Reply

April 13, 2010 at 11:32 pm

oh how I use to love those books, my daughter likes them now too.

8. Annie B. Reply

April 14, 2010 at 10:45 am

Laaaaaaaaadies,

Forgive me for turning this post into “Oprah’s Book Club”, but here’s another must-read for 50’s-loving folks: “Populuxe” by Thomas Hine.
    This book covers the decade from 1954 to 1964; great reading material suggested by Pam K. over at RR.

9. Roxanne Reply

April 14, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I never read the Trixie books. Instead, I read the Donna Parker series.

Anyone remember those? I have all seven books and recently reread them.

Now I’m going to have to find a Trixie book!

April 14, 2010 at 2:42 pm

LOL, Annie! I’ll get that one, too!

Roxanne, I’ve never heard of the Donna Parker series, so thanks for the heads up!

11. Garnet Scarabin Reply

April 15, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Is anyone else familiar with the Happy Hollisters series? It was published from the early 50s until around 1970 (I think). They were sort of like a full family version of Nancy Drew (which I also read devoured, while growing up)… they travel around the world, solve mysteries, have mishaps (but nothing too serious, of course!), etc.

I wonder where those books are now? Probably in my mother’s basement somewhere! :/

April 16, 2010 at 11:05 am

I am totally coming late to this one but….

I read the Happy Hollisters!! Didn’t they start out as kid’s picture books in the 1930’s? Or maybe that was a different set of Hollisters.

I have a ton of favorite classic children’s literature, but most isn’t MCM. I read:

Besty-Tacy
    The Five Little Peppers
    Daddy-Long-Legs
    Baby Island
    Nancy Drew
    101 Dalmations (the original!)
    Little House on the Prairie

Okay…I should probably stop now…

13. Cheryl Reply

May 3, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I also read Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew books as a young girl. Another favorite book was Minnow Vail. I don’t remember if that was the title, or just the main character.

I’m wondering exactly where I could have stored those books… I would love to read them now.