Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Won’t You Be My Neighbor

April 25, 2010

Won’t You Be My Neighbor

By Sablemable aka Jan

Yippee-skippee!  Here’s a time-capsule home in my neighborhood!!!!!  A limestone dandy at 400 Chippewa in Benton Harbor, Michigan.

Here’s the living room and oh, my!  Is that the original front door?

The other end of the living room.  Love the fireplace and the arched entrances!

Oh, Lord, help me!  Not only are the cabs original but it looks like the counter top is, too!

Now I know I’m going to faint!  An aqua wall oven!

A sun room in all its paneled glory!

I just know some of you are becoming lightheaded over this pink bathroom!

The basement.  Another beautiful fireplace.

There are three bedrooms, two bathrooms and 2600 square feet of living space, loaded with closets for the price of $138,000.00!

Excuse me while I ring up my real estate agent!

PS:  I have the strong belief that this home was built by the late, great Joe Cheevers, whose trademark was closets, lots and lots of closets.  He, along with Joe Sorce, were exceptional builders and built the majority of the brick ranches in our neighborhood.

10 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor

1. Kelly Reply

April 25, 2010 at 11:16 am

April 25, 2010 at 1:16 pm

That house is SERIOUSLY awesome. Check out that bomb-a-licious original front door.

3. Lorie B. Reply

April 25, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Ummm…I live about 15 minutes from Benton Harbor. There is NO way I would buy that house. Put it this way, about 4 years ago, they had race riots there. Bombs, guns, gangs…the whole nine yards.

Sad…would be a lovely house to have, but NOT where it is at.

April 25, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Lorie, I say this with all sincerity, but I have lived in this neighborhood most of my life and I have never had problems. Not only did I graduate from Benton Harbor High School, but I worked for the city and the school district, again, no problems. As for race riots, there have been several of them over the past decades (Sixties and Seventies)in the city and the police department did a fine job in controlling them.

Here in Fair Plain we have outstanding residents, all seeking the American dream-to own a lovely home in a well protected neighborhood.

Thank you, Lorie, for stopping by to view the post!

5. Lorie B. Reply

April 25, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Sorry, I just have a friend who lived on Cayhuga (or however it is spelled) and they had LOTS of trouble. I also knew some folks who lived on Union…their house got broken into several times.

Only going from what people I know have told me. If you have had good luck, thank God. I pray it continues.

6. frankieswife Reply

April 26, 2010 at 11:05 am

If I lived where you live, I would be begging Frankie to buy me this house…I love it! I love the size of it…huge…I love the pink bathroom…I love the fireplaces…and my absolute favorite…THE KITCHEN!!!

April 26, 2010 at 11:14 am

Hi, Lorie!

What I should have said was crime happens everywhere, but in the township in which the featured house is and where I live have wonderful police protection. Yes, Cayuga Street is in our township, but the police usually end up making an arrest. Union Street runs from the city through Benton Township. Benton Township PD is a good department and the city police should become better now that they have a new chief, Roger Lange, whom I know personally and is a fine man and a fine cop. When I’m finished with decorating/furnishing my home on Lombard Street, Lorie, I’d like to invite you over for a visit.

8. Annie B. Reply

April 26, 2010 at 11:51 am

Oh, baby! What a cool house! Love the kitchen and the bathroom.

Today’s to-do list: 1.) Call the bank; 2.) Load the truck; 3.) Get on road to Michigan …………. you have the grandest houses up there!

April 26, 2010 at 12:33 pm

TY, Annieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL @ your to-do list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. MarkSpizer Reply