Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » MCM Home Improvement: Garage Doors

May 21, 2010

MCM Home Improvement: Garage Doors

By Sablemable aka Jan

My overhead garage door is original and if I ever had to replace it, God forbid, I’d have a hard time finding a replacement that said “I am a Mid-Century Modern garage attached to a Mid-Century Modern house.”

And, if you are lucky enough to have your original garage door or maybe you’re having to replace it and need some ideas to bring that retro feel to your home, here are some examples of great looking overhead doors, courtesy of Keller-Williams Realty (www.kw.com).

By far, in my opinion, the Chicagoland area has the best crop of MCM garage doors around.  I’m not going to mention the names of the neighborhoods and suburban areas, just show you that there are some fantastic ways to show-off your garage.

Aren’t they beautiful?  I think my favorite is……..all of them!  What’s your favorite?  If you have something just as beautiful on your MCM overhead garage door, tell us about it!

13 Responses to MCM Home Improvement: Garage Doors

May 21, 2010 at 8:24 am

Ooooooo, Jan, love ’em all! But I have to say my fave is the “morse code” one, with the dashes and the stars. So pretty!

May 21, 2010 at 9:20 am

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuth! There were so many photos of these wonderful doors! I can remember seeing a lot of them whenever Bob and I would go over to Chicago for bagels and we’d ride around the neighborhoods looking at houses and eating warm bagels (with lox and cream cheese, thank you very much).

3. Ron Reply

May 21, 2010 at 9:58 am

Thank you for posting these photos! Unfortunetly, my MCM home’s garage door was replaced before I bought it. I do have the original garage door opener and vintage remote both still working after some 40 years of service. I’m getting ready to start painting and was wondering what I could do to make the garage feel more vintage. These photos have filled my head with ideas.

May 21, 2010 at 11:10 am

Hi, Ron!

Yes, it is almost a sin whenever someone “upgrades” these lovely homes. Makes me want to cry.

Glad to have helped out!

Come back next Friday for more MCM Home Improvement ideas, Ron!

May 21, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Oh, I am totally in love with the second last one with the stars! My house was built in 1949, but my garage was built sometime in the 80s (no idea if there was an original garage that was torn down and replaced, or what), and the garage could use some help getting back into character. This gives me some great ideas!

May 21, 2010 at 12:41 pm

That design so far has been the most popular. And woe to those who upgrade, LOL!

7. Annie B. Reply

May 21, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Saaaaaaableeeeeeeee! These are so fine! The atomic stars are my favorites, hands down.

8. Annie B. Reply

May 21, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Ruuuuuuth! I missed the Morse Code part. If I remember code correctly, this garage door is saying “NDB”.

• RetroRuth Reply

May 21, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Ha ha ha, Annie, good job! Better than S.O.S., which is the only thing I could ever remember!

9. Deb Reply

May 21, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I like the first one best…

May 21, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I forgot to mention that Raynor and Overhead Door Company still make garage doors, but, of course they’re not like these. However, on both web sites, if you click on Commercial doors, you can still get the ones with the vertical windows and checkerboard pattern.

Maybe we should send tons of email to them, and to Schlage (for the front door backplates) and insist that there is still a need for the MCM designs.

May 21, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Deb, I like that one, too, but like I said, I like them all!

Annnnnnnnnnnnnieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! LOL, you are too funny, girl!

12. Garage Door Replacement Reply

May 31, 2010 at 10:57 pm

I think I should have a section like this on my website to showcase the different ideas and styles that people can implement. Thanks for posting this as it gives me a few marketing ideas of my own now.