Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » MCM Home Improvement: Meanwhile Back At The Ranch……….

May 14, 2010

MCM Home Improvement: Meanwhile Back At The Ranch……….

By Sablemable aka Jan

Last Friday, thanks to your help, readers, we decided to go with wrought iron railings on the front stoop.  Today’s project is enclosing the area to the right of the front door, where the lovely vertical window and the awful porch light is located.

The main reason to enclose this space is to keep out the icy cold winter winds, which come through the thin paned window, into the coat closet and into the living room.  Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!  The second reason is that dastardly female whim of wanting something different.

I did some research on natural brick and stone veneers, something that me and Bob (hubby) could do ourselves.  I found www.brickit.com and reviewed their products and installation directions.

Now mind you, the Brick-It products are all natural brick and stone sliced thin and not the artificial stuff that not only is cheaper in price, but cheap looking as well.

Here are two samples of Brick-It that I thought would go well with the existing brick.

OHIO LIMESTONE

GOLDEN BUFF

There are loads of colors and textures that can be viewed on Brick-It’s web site and one can even request special colors.  The bricks and stones are also insulated on the back side of the panels, which would really help with keeping the heating costs down.

Installation looks easy, even for the novice mason like myself.  Bob knows enough about masonry to make up for my lack of experience.   NOTE:   You do not need any footings or supports to install the bricks.   Here are  the directions in a nutshell.

Fasten Brick-It panel to wall or substrate.

Apply adhesive.

Place bricks.

Add mortar to the joints.

Strike the joints for desired finish.

Prices weren’t listed on the web site, so I contacted them via email to have a representative ring me up.

And if any of you have had Brick-It or something similar installed on the exterior of your home, please tell me your experience with it.

Okay, gang!  Fire away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 Responses to MCM Home Improvement: Meanwhile Back At The Ranch……….

1. Uncle Atom Reply

May 14, 2010 at 8:09 am

So are you going to put up a wall or half wall point outward from the side of the house? Will you try to match the bricks to the facade of the house? I had not seen this Brick-It approach before. I’ll be following how this goes for you, sounds interesting.

2. Annie B. Reply

May 14, 2010 at 8:56 am

Oh, my word! This is lovely!! Infinite possibilities abound with this Brick-It business. Your porch will be fabulous. Keep the photos coming!

3. Alex Reply

May 14, 2010 at 10:55 am

I can’t wait to see the finished product! I’m glad you posted this. We’ve wanted to do something similar, but it’s been hard to find a good match to our brick. Our brick was a part of the old county jail where I currently live. The original owners believed in recycling before it was cool, so they bought the old brick and built their house out of it.

May 14, 2010 at 11:02 am

Uncle Atom: We’ll have to cover the outside of the window area (and the inside, which is cedar paneling)but we don’t have to extend out the area. As far as matching the bricks, no, I want something to contrast them.

Annieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! My cheerleader, LOL! Yep, I’ll keep the photos coming of the projects!

Aleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeex! Welcome back, girl! I’ve missed you! Brick-It does have some products that could possibly match your house.

5. Kristine Reply

May 14, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Hi Just had to let you know I’ve recently discovered
    your blog and OMG!!..sooooo entertaining!!
    Keep those crazy vintage recipes coming…oh and thank
    your hubby for me for being such a willing contestant!!..lol
    I’ve never laughed so hard!!..;-D
    You’ve got a new reader forever!!!
    Best wishes!
    Kristine;-)

May 14, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Welcome aboard, Kristine! Yes, Ruth (owner of the blog) has the best blog around! Myself, Sablemable aka Jan and SaraAZ were asked to guest write full-time, so you’ll see posts from the both of us.

Glad you enjoy Ruth’s vintage menus and Tom’s expressions!

Thanks for stopping in!

7. Annie B. Reply

May 14, 2010 at 3:29 pm

A big howdy to you, Kristine, and welcome to Ruth’s wonderful world of Retro! She’s created the most joyous blogging experince just for us. Stay tuned and enjoy!

May 14, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Ya know Sable, I kinda like the limestone. Were you leaning towards either one in particular?

May 14, 2010 at 4:33 pm

I adore the limestone, Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Good taste!