Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » MCM Home Improvement-Pumping Iron; Wrought Iron That Is!

May 7, 2010

MCM Home Improvement-Pumping Iron; Wrought Iron That Is!

By Sablemable aka Jan

I’m certain that you’ve seen or even have the wonderful wrought iron railings that don the front steps of MCM homes.  I think they add so much character to these homes.  In fact, my dentist, Dr. Mary Anderson, has her practice  in a MCM house, complete with the original white iron railings!  Lovely!

But just in case you’ve forgotten what wrought iron railings look like, I’ve found some nice examples of them from the internet.

From www.drewironworks.com

Lowe’s has some  columns, lambs tongues and railings at reasonable prices.

Balusters with classic scroll  centerpieces at www.stairpartsusa.com

Finally, I’d like your input as to whether i should add iron railings, et al, to the front entry of my 1955 ranch. Psst!  Between you and me, those new front doors, address plaque and porch light will be history!

Tell me your thoughts, gang!

12 Responses to MCM Home Improvement-Pumping Iron; Wrought Iron That Is!

1. Deb Reply

May 7, 2010 at 8:18 am

Wrought iron would look great on your house!

2. Leah@Storybook Ranch Reply

May 7, 2010 at 8:21 am

I always stop to admire front doors with wrought iron on them, I think it looks great!

3. Uncle Atom Reply

May 7, 2010 at 9:06 am

I agree, wrought iron would look very nice. Our front entry looked something like yours before I made some changes: three-window light kit from Crestview Doors, some paint and a starburst escutcheon really changed our solid door to my liking. Also replaced the original wood screen door with a newer mill-finish aluminum door with added vintage aluminum scrollwork off a salvaged aluminum door. We have 50-year old wrought iron and it’s still in good shape. I still need to deal with some repointing of bricks on the entry, fix a loose attachment for the wrought iron, change our address numbers and find a better alternative for the porch light replacement I went with. It takes time to get the right results. Good luck!

4. Annie B. Reply

May 7, 2010 at 9:15 am

Yeeeeeeeeeesssssss, Saaaaaaaableeeeeeeee!
    You most certainly should add the wrought iron to the front of your fabulous ranch (lucky girl!!). And, use it inside anywhere you can! I like the indoor wrought iron room divider, etc. Our very serious rust problem precludes the use of very much wrought iron, though I do love it. The salt air and salt spray here make quick work of automobiles, so you can imagine what it does to wrought iron.

Thanks for a super post!!

5. Ron Reply

May 7, 2010 at 10:26 am

I think that would be the perfect way to highlight your front porch! I looked at your first picture and thought I was looking at my own back stoop. I am lucky enough to have wrought iron on both my front and back porches. My wrought iron needs to be scraped and repainted but it is on my list.

May 7, 2010 at 10:37 am

LOL, my minds made up, then, wrought iron on the front stoop it will be!

Stay tuned for next weeks Friday post as I’ll need everyone’s input again. It will involve the front again.

May 7, 2010 at 12:19 pm

I absolutely love those wrought iron railings. Unfortunately, my house does not have one 🙁 However, my neighbors have one that I utterly love, it has stars in the design. It must have been a popular choice around these parts, as I’ve seen it on a few houses in town here.

As for your house – yes, definitely! Wrought iron will definitely help bring back the MCM character to your house!

May 7, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Hooray! Sable is getting Wrought Iron. I think it will look FAB on your MCM house!!!

May 8, 2010 at 8:14 am

Uncle Atom: While you’ve replaced the wood screen door, I’m trying desperately to find one for the front entry. A lot of the MCM houses in my neighborhood had them originally and of course, people have dumped them for new doors. The door I like has 4 divided windows and screen for the summertime. I have one going from my garage to the sun room, but that’s it.

You have the Crestview light kit that I want for my new front door! And the escutcheon is the bomb!

You’re right about changes taking time, but I look at it as an adventure, what I can find out there in MCMland!

You’ll have to send photos of your front door/aluminum storm door w/scrolls, Uncle Atom!

10. Uncle Atom Reply

May 14, 2010 at 8:04 am

Hi Sablemable,
    I did keep the old wooden screen doors, will not get rid of them. They have the four-pane glass panels that pull out and replace with screens. They’re all showing 50 years of wear, and since we have a frisky young dog (Lucy the Corgi) I needed doors that latched, etc., so the mill-finish aluminum was period correct and works better for me.
    Here are some links to photos of our front entry

Before

After

11. Uncle Atom Reply

May 14, 2010 at 8:06 am

Doh, I guess my old wooden screen door had 8 glass panels, not four as mentioned earlier.

May 14, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Uncle Atom! Oh, I L-O-V-E your vintage screen doors!!!!!!!

Beautiful house, too!