Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » MCM Home Improvement-Tiled Floors

May 28, 2010

MCM Home Improvement-Tiled Floors

By Sablemable aka Jan

One of the things I seek when searching for time-capsule homes is interesting tile floor patterns.  All of the floors that I’ll share with you today are in the basement, but if you’re looking to re-tile another room and want something unique, then look no further for ideas.

Ruth, this post is especially for you, since you and Tom are “upgrading” your basement.  Upgrading is such an ugly word in the world of Mid-Century Modern, isn’t it?

As an added bonus, look at this ceiling!

Let me remind you that Pam Kueber’s blog, www.retrorenovation.com has information on the hazards of removing asbestos tile and has an oodle of web sites of companies that make new and improved vinyl floor tiles that speak MCM so clearly.

Do any of you plan a tile floor re-do?  If so, tell us your plans.

9 Responses to MCM Home Improvement-Tiled Floors

1. Uncle Atom Reply

May 28, 2010 at 8:28 am

Thanks for posting these. My basement flooring is all original beige asbestos tile. A couple years ago really heavy rain got in and loosened up a few small areas, so I’m pretty set on sticking with tile. Thinking of putting down new tile on top of the old rather than trying to remove it, and I’d like to do one of these patterns. I keep putting it off because I know how much backbreaking work it will be.

• RetroRuth Reply

May 28, 2010 at 8:57 am

Jan! Love this post! We are planning on pulling up the old carpet in the basement and putting in Armstrong Commercial Tile as you mentioned, and these pattern ideas are awesome! BTW, did anyone else die a little bit over the desk in the first picture? Maybe a little?

Uncle Atom – I would totally recommend putting down new tile on top of old, since asbestos tile is such a health hazard to remove. That is what we did in our kitchen and it worked out great.

For all you readers out there, heed Jan’s advice! Make sure you do your research and read the laws in your area regarding the removal and disposal of old asbestos tile. Safety first!!! 🙂

May 28, 2010 at 9:32 am

Uncle Atom! I’m having the same problem in my basement at the bottom of the steps. I’ve been searching for a close match, but so far haven’t found it. The basement tiles are brown/beige marble-y look.

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuth! Ha-ha! Yes, I did drool over that desk! Can’t wait to see your “new” basement floor!

BTW, I should be whipped with wet spaghetti for not snapping a photo of my other basement floor (1958 ranch) which looks like Joseph’s Coat of many colors! The 1st owner had a flooring business and took all of the leftovers from jobs and did his basement floor.

3. Ron Reply

May 28, 2010 at 10:17 am

Jan,

You’ve hit the nail on the head for the second week in a row! My kitchen and bathrooms all currently are carpeted. The kitchen and one bathroom have industrial brown carpet, YUCK! but I think it was done because the former owners were elderly.

Luckily for me, my local Habitat for Humanity received about 6 pallets full of Vinyl composite tile. they had it for 40 cents a tile. Color choices were all over the color spectrum and I bought enough to tile my areas. I’ve been thinking about the pattern I should use for my kitchen. I bought an emerald green and a speckled tan tile to use there. I was thinking of an alternating tile checkerboard pattern but I kind of like the look of the 2nd and 5th photos down. Thank you once again for the food for thought.

May 28, 2010 at 11:32 am

Jannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great floor pics girl! Maybe someday I can find a house with floors as cool as these!

May 28, 2010 at 11:45 am

Ron! LOL, now if only you could strike gold the third time! Glad to have helped you out.

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!! We MUST find you a home, girl! All of those cool MCM goodies that you have stored away for your home have got to come out of the closet. No pun intended, LOL!

May 28, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Is that last ceiling wood???

Ruth – yes, I definitely died a bit over that desk in the first picture … that desk is gorgeous!

May 28, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Andrea, yes, I believe it’s that parquet wood flooring tiles. I loved it!

8. ALFRED E. NEUMAN Reply