Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Mid-Century Modern: In Living Color

May 11, 2010

Mid-Century Modern: In Living Color

By Sablemable aka Jan

The use of color during the Fifties was daring, not only in appliances, clothing and cars (think pink), but in items common and not so common.

Colored TP

Cigarettes

Lightbulbs

Eyeglasses

Tuxedos

Telephones

Towels

Shoes

Soap

Medicine

Boxer Shorts

Even dishwashing powder

Do you know of or remember, readers any other MCM products that were colorful?

12 Responses to Mid-Century Modern: In Living Color

1. Uncle Atom Reply

May 11, 2010 at 7:49 am

Is it me, or does that blue light bulb make my Voodoo Shorts look kinda funny? Great collection of old ads!

2. Karen/SmallEarthVintage Reply

May 11, 2010 at 9:03 am

That was so much fun to scroll through! Great collection of ads.

3. P. Reply

May 11, 2010 at 10:15 am

I remember quite a few. Transistor radios, pink cake mixes, Comet cleanser (we even sang a song: “Comet will make your bathroom clean, Comet will make your hair turn green…”) Spic and Span was also a green powder. Prell shampoo was green. I guess green was pretty popular with the P&G folks.

May 11, 2010 at 11:06 am

Love the post, Jan!! That colored toilet paper brings back memories. I am pretty sure my grandma used to have blue toilet paper. Do they even sell that anymore??

May 11, 2010 at 11:46 am

LOL@ voodoo shorts/blue light, Uncle Atom!

Karen! Glad you enjoyed the ads! It was fun finding them!

Ruth-I remember very well the colored TP, but can’t remember why it was stopped. Something about the environment, I’m sure. I’m thinking that it wasn’t breaking down in the sewage system.

6. Annie B. Reply

May 11, 2010 at 11:54 am

I miss the colorful days! This was great, Sable! Thanks for the memories! Yep, I think the colored TP caused some environmental issue. I still buy colored Kleenex as a nod to the “pastel decade”.

May 11, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I’ll take all the pink stuff! 🙂

May 11, 2010 at 2:23 pm

LOL@the Comet song, P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Annieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Thought you’d like the colorful TP, LOL!

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! I was thinking of you when I found the pink shoes ad!

9. Annie B. Reply

May 12, 2010 at 9:21 am

I really do wish they still made colorful TP. I remember when Scott Tissue came out with beige as one of their TP colors. Oh, how totally sophisticated I thought that was back then! I know that “sophisticated TP” sounds a little oxymoronic, but it was the vibe of the era.

10. renee Reply

May 12, 2010 at 11:43 pm

I love those old ads,and have collected them for years my kichen floor is decoupaged with them, lots of work but I smile every time I’m in the kitchen.

• RetroRuth Reply

May 14, 2010 at 8:49 am

Uhhhhhhh…Renee???? I think you MUST send us pictures of your floor!!!!!!

11. rachel Reply

May 22, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I went to an estate sale today that still had the colored toilet paper in the bathroom. Yellow. To match the house, which was all yellow.