Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Reader Shen Spots A Phoenix Time Capsule!

May 13, 2010

Reader Shen Spots A Phoenix Time Capsule!

By Sara In AZ

First off, let me offer my many thanks to reader Shen for doing some retro recon for us all! Shen is a great time capsule spotter and lover of vintage homes, in fact she has a vintage 50s house herself and I am dying to see pics of it. Please Shen, Please! Shen knows how hard it is to find time capsule houses here in the Phoenix area – where everyone seems to love granite, granite, granite – so she has been trying to help me in my search for a time capsule (thanks, Shen!). Here is a rare Phoenix time capsule that Shen recently visited while there was an open house. She was kind enough to take mucho photos for all of us to drool over. Fasten your seat belts kids, we’re off!~

Cool 1950s  brick rancher.

Check out that Rad-A-Licious Starburst Door Escutcheon!

Door Interior. The good ol’ days when you still had mail through the door. Now everyone in newer houses gets to go to the big gray community box!

Cool planter on the inside! Who didn’t want an indoor planter in the 50s?

Looking down the entry hallway. By the above planter.

Super cool flooring in the entry hallway!

Waaaaay rad living room! Check out the original lights and the blonde paneling and the built-ins! LOVE that fireplace!

Cool matching pole light by the patio door.

Pass through to the kitchen.

The kitchen. Hey Shen, what kind of floors were those in the kitchen?

Original tile and stove top in the kitchen.

Double ovens, but I am not sure if  these are from the 50s??? Looks more later 60s to me.

Cool atomic drawer liner paper in one of the kitchen drawers.

Awesome mint green bathroom, though I think the tile looks like it has been renovated  more recently.

Such a cool shower door!!!

Cool old heater in the wall and one of those rotating toothbrush holders. Gotta love that!

And, the built in Kleenex holder.

Vanity area.

Even more awesome shower door in the other bathroom!

I think this could be original wallpaper in the powder room. Looks like seashells.

Cool retro light fixture.

Retro wall sconce.

This house is in central Phoenix and was built in 1954. It is for sale for $295,000.  It is a 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath with 2,400 sq. feet.  Thanks again Shen for all these great pictures, we really appreciate it! Great job!!! Does anyone want to save a time capsule in Phoenix?

***ALERT*** Mary Deluxe of Welcome To Deluxeville is having a giveaway! She is giving away this cool 1950s lamp.

If you haven’t checked out her blog yet, you definitely should. Click HERE for the link. She has the best retro atomic pad and she always has great pics of her vintage clothes. Here is a pic of Mary D. I don’t know about you, but I’m gonna enter right now!

11 Responses to Reader Shen Spots A Phoenix Time Capsule!

May 13, 2010 at 10:44 am

LOVE this house, Shen! Holy crap!!! Way to do some serious recon! Love the front door, the lamps, the bathrooms, even the shelf paper. So nice…thanks for posting this, Sara!

May 13, 2010 at 11:52 am

I am agog, Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!! Please, please buy this home, it NEEDS you and Mike (and your pink metal cabs)!

Smelling salts!

May 13, 2010 at 12:25 pm

OMG, this house is GORGEOUS! I am loving that huge indoor planter and the starburst on the door!

4. Shen Reply

May 13, 2010 at 3:46 pm

The house is even more amazing when you see it in person. I have never ever seen an atrium in a home before you get to the rest of the house. It has 2 living rooms. So the part where the planter is is the atrium area. If I ever build a home from scratch, I ma going to copy the floor plan of this fabulous house! They have a guest house in the back too but it was brand new so I didn’t take any photos. I am so glad everyone is enjoying the pictures!

5. Alex Reply

May 13, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Awesome house! The indoor planters are back in style. They are hanging them on walls now. I’ve missed you, Ruth!

• RetroRuth Reply

May 14, 2010 at 8:51 am

Alex! Alex! Alex! Girl, where have you been??? Glad to see you back!

6. Annie B. Reply

May 13, 2010 at 4:53 pm

akd;lfH*):BJKLhh;………oh, heck; I’ve drooled into my keyboard again. Sara! What a house! They don’t get any cooler. Thank you, Shen, for those eye-popping photos!!

May 13, 2010 at 8:03 pm

So glad y’all liked the pics so much. Again, great job Shen! Let me know if you find anymore time capsules.

Annie B. – You better clean that drool off. 😉

Alex – Welcome back!

Sable – Unfortunately, this house is not quite right for Mike and I. 🙁 I really hope the house finds a MCM lover though!

May 14, 2010 at 11:03 am

Sara, I KNOW your house is out there, but where? LOL!

May 14, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Yes, where Sable???? That is what I keep asking myself. Let me know if you come across it! 🙂

10. Pingback: Shen Finds Another Time Capsule! | No Pattern Required