Home » Decorating & Home » Tiki Dreams – Inspiration For Our Tiki Redo

May 17, 2010

Tiki Dreams – Inspiration For Our Tiki Redo

By RetroRuth

I am SO EXCITED! Tom and I have finally saved enough money to start work on some of our redecoration and small renovation projects. And if I am careful, I might even have some money leftover to buy some furniture.  Cross your fingers on that one.

One of our priorities is to turn this room:

Into a Tiki room!!! That is our three season porch, or Florida room, and it already is more than 50% Tiki-ed out if you ask me!  The panelled walls and dark beams are perfect!

So, here is a gallery I made in Flickr of some fabulous vintage Tiki I am going to use for my room inspiration.  How about you guys?  Got any great Tiki or Tiki decorating ideas to share?  Any big projects going on this summer? Leave a comment or email me!

7 Responses to Tiki Dreams – Inspiration For Our Tiki Redo

1. Annie B. Reply

May 17, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Merciful Heavens! What a fabulous room as is. So glad that the Tiki Fund is doing well. With your decorating smarts and all that great inspiration, you’ll have this room turned into Luau Central before you can crack open a coconut. My ideas? Hmmmm, right off the ukelele, I’d say lots of funky monkeypod items, and – by golly – a ukelele. Ruth, you are going to have a blast with this!! Congrats!

My current summer project is to find the floor of my house again. It’s been covered up by the boxes of treasures I’ve been collecting since the Mid Mod bug bit. I sorted through a number of boxes over the weekend and managed to talk myself into parting with 173 pieces of Hull and McCoy Brown Drip pottery. Yeah, I know….I’m still throwing up over it (the idea, not the pottery).

2. Annie B. Reply

May 17, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Oh..sorry…meant to add that if you’ll let me know when you’re close to completion of the Tiki Room, I’ll send you some Tiki surprises as a “room warming”. No kittens, I promise.

3. Brini Reply

May 17, 2010 at 2:16 pm

We did a whole Tiki themed episode of my show for the Style network. Here’s the write-up on it: http://www.brinimaxwell.com/show206_main.php Definitely check out Oceanic Arts in Whittier CA for great accents, and for a fun tiki craft project have a look at the sand painting instructions under “Putting it Together”

May 17, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Oh Ruth, your house is so dreamy! That is the perfect room for a Tiki Lounge and all your Flickr Tiki items would look Fab in there!

Brini – That sand pic with the Tiki is waaaaay cool, kinda like the old gravel art pics. Ruth, you should totally do one of those for your room.

Ummmm, Annie B. 173 pieces of pottery!!!!! Wow!!!! How are you going to sell all of it? Ebay or Etsy or something????

5. Annie B. Reply

May 17, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Brini, those sand paintings are great. I’d forgotten how cool sand art is. Thanks for the reminder.

Sara, oh, yeah…..I’m actually going sell the entire collection, or at least hope I will. I have a dealer coming over this week to take a look. I have a strong feeling I will regret this, but it’s a matter of “dish prioritizing”. I’m just a Dish Freak, what can I say?

May 18, 2010 at 1:20 pm

You know that my sun room is going Hawaiian/Tropical, too. Since a hot tub was included in the sale and doesn’t look at all tropical, I got some artificial (natural color) table skirts to put around the bottom. Fortunately, they fit perfectly, as I do not measure anything and “guesstimate” and ultimately have to send stuff back. Will I ever learn? Nope!

To cover the door windows leading from the garage to the sun room, I’m still working on stringing beads to make curtains. I’m using glass, bone and wood beads, in colors of dark red, orange/rust, brown, cream, yellow and natural stains. I found some resin pictures of palm trees on sale at Lowe’s (2 bucks for both) and I have some lovely bamboo wind chimes to hang.

Don’t forget bamboo roll-up blinds for the windows!

May 18, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I need new glasses; I clearly missed your 173 pieces of Hull and McCoy pottery, Annieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

If you put them on Etsy, Ebay or Bonanzle, let us know ASAP, girl!