Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » MCM Home Improvement: Awnings

June 25, 2010

MCM Home Improvement: Awnings

By Sablemable aka Jan

One of the virtues of Mid-Century Modern homes is their versatility.  You can do almost anything to these homes; make them country, traditional, classic and they still look great!

Case in point:  awnings.   Take a look at the images I found of MCM homes with aluminum awnings.

A bi-level or split-level making a bold statement.  Love the red accents!

A brick  ranch with complimentary color awnings.

A brick step-ranch or bungalow with contrasting dark green awning stripes.

Another multi-level brick home with awnings in reverse: dark brown with white stripes.

Are you toying with the notion of adding awnings to your MCM home?  Or have you already taken the plunge and added them?  Tell us your story with all the details!

7 Responses to MCM Home Improvement: Awnings

1. Kelly Reply

June 25, 2010 at 10:17 am

I love those red and white ones! We don’t presently have awnings but I had them in a childhood home and they were cool because when the rain hit them, it sounded amazing like rain on a tin roof.

2. Barbara Reply

June 25, 2010 at 10:25 am

I don’t have to toy with the idea, my 1953 cottage has them already. Of course, they haven’t been painted in years, so this year is paint time – for the house and the awnings!

June 25, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I can imagine how soothing the sounds would be reverberating off the metal awnings!

Barbara-what color(s) are you planning to paint them?

4. Barbara Reply

June 25, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Well, when I paint, the house will be a cocoa color, the awnings and trim will be white and the shutters and accents will be Montana Dust, which is a rusty orange color.

5. Barbara Reply

June 25, 2010 at 5:20 pm

And yes, the rain sounds great on the awnings.

June 25, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Oooh, Barbara! Those colors sound wonderful! Be sure and send us pics when you’ve finished!

June 25, 2010 at 8:25 pm

I wish they still made those awnings with the starbursts underneath!