Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » MCM Home Improvement: Mailboxes

June 18, 2010

MCM Home Improvement: Mailboxes

By Sablemable aka Jan

I have to admit, I sweated over this topic, but, I aim to please and I hope you will enjoy my finds!

I have one of these monstrosities out front.  Shamefacedly, I first adored these mailboxes, but then I saw the MCM light.

I searched the Internet looking for something new that resembled this…

And, I found the Vista Mailbox  at www.morganhomeaccents.com. It’s constructed of cast aluminum (Yeah!  No plastic!), and comes in a variety of colors with a powder finish coat.    The price is $69.95 sans S&H.

Of course, you’ll need a retro-style post and Morgan Home Accents has a cast aluminum post that comes in the same colors as the Vista Mailbox.   Price is $179.95.

At www.mahvelousmailboxes.com is this monogrammed cast aluminum post.  It also comes in the same colors as the Vista Mailbox.  It’s price, however, is quite steep; $468.00 plus $25.00 S&H.

You’ll need a newspaper holder, too.  I found the RAIN OR SHINE at www.getnewmailbox.com.  Also of cast aluminum, it comes with a black post and your choice of red, yellow, white, black or green holder.  The lettering colors are white, black, yellow and green and the fonts are Standard or Gothic.  The price is $219.99.

Sadly, I couldn’t locate any mailbox address markers that were era appropriate, but I’ll find them one of these days!

Readers, do you have plans to change your mailboxes?  Tell us your plans, puleeseeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

7 Responses to MCM Home Improvement: Mailboxes

1. Uncle Atom Reply

June 18, 2010 at 7:51 am

Great topic. We have a mail slot in our door so no need for the mailbox, but for others it’s good to see some acceptable alternatives to those awful plastic monstrosities. My parents had a wooden topper for our steel mailbox when I was a kid. It had our last name in hammered aluminum letters about 1.25 inches tall. You used to see those mailbox toppers all the time, but I can’t find a source from online searches, so if you do turn something up please post it.

2. Lorie B. Reply

June 18, 2010 at 12:07 pm

We had the mailbox topper letters when I was a kid. I thought they were SO COOL!! Thanks for the tip on the MCM looking box. I am going to have to replace ours sometime. It is just an old metal one, very standard looking. It is rusty, however and needs replacing.

June 18, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I guess you could always have one made, like the dude in my last post did. Hope you are feeling better Jan! 🙂

June 18, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Uncle Atom, a mail slot would sure be a lot easier than having to walk out to the mailbox everyday, LOL!

Lorie, yes, those address markers were and are the bomb, IMHO! I should look for manufacturers of them and email them and demand (!) that they make retro ones, LOL!

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the good wishes; I am feeling a whole lot better! I’m behind on reading your posts, so I’ll get with it!

5. Annie B. Reply

June 18, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Wow, Sable, what a timely post(no pun intended)! I was in mailbox mode this morning while taking my pre-work walk. Sadly, that thing which looks like ET is pretty prevalent in the neighborhood.

Those repro vintage posts are fabulous, but dang that price! Wonder if you could find something comparable at your local Habitat ReStore? Or fashion something similar yourself? My ultimate mailbox post would be made of those vintage concrete screen blocks, but they are harder to find than hen’s teeth.

Hope you’re doing well. Sorry to hear you’ve been under the weather.

June 18, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Annieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!! Geez, girl, where have you been? Glad to see ya!

When I drove to the grocery store this afternoon, I was looking to see if there were any original mailboxes like the 2nd photo, the black one. Saw only one, but it was in pretty good shape. Wonder if I could trade the owner my monstrosity for their MCM beauty? Too bad they didn’t have one of those posts, otherwise I’d be bartering like crazy!

7. Miri Reply

June 20, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I’ve never seen such a fancy mailbox post…our 50s neighborhood (in the 50s!) had plain wood posts!