Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » MCM Home Improvement: Playing By The Numbers

June 11, 2010

MCM Home Improvement: Playing By The Numbers

By Sablemable aka Jan

Remember the ugly “updated” house numbers on my ’55 ranch?  Just in case you’ve forgotten, take a look.

Yes, ugly updated house numbers that have no character at all.  Poor house!  It wasn’t meant to go 21st century!  I need to revive the ol’ girl and return her to 20th century mod!

At www.mahvelousmailboxes.com, they offer cursive style numbers that are MCMC (for Mid-Century Modern Correct).  These come in different sizes and finishes.

Another site is www.customhousenumbers.com,  where you can enter your house numbers/street (click on FONTS menu) to see what they’ll look like in the different font styles.  Even better,Custom House Numbers offer Neutraface numbers, named for Richard Neutra who specified specific fonts, metals and finishes for his architecture.  Depending upon your choice of metals and finishes, Neutraface numbers can be expensive.  You can enter your house numbers to see what they’ll look like and you can price them as well.

I am really liking the Neutraface in the satin finish.  What do you think, readers?

6 Responses to MCM Home Improvement: Playing By The Numbers

1. K Reply

June 11, 2010 at 10:12 am

Hmmm . . . I think for your house I would go w/ something a little more traditional–something more ranch and less modern.

2. Barbara Reply

June 11, 2010 at 10:52 am

I love the Neutra numbers – they are really expensive though. Have you seen the Eichler numbers? I think that’s what I’ll use on my house once it’s painted…http://www.eichlernumbers.com/

June 11, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Hi, Barbara! Yes, I took a look at the Eichler house numbers and liked them, too.

June 11, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Ahh, I got all excited for a minute – I have been looking for script house numbers forever – however my problem is that I need an “O”. I know they did exist at one point, as a house a couple of blocks away from me has script numbers for “Fifty O Seven”. I see your first link will do them in plastic, but I was really hoping to find them in metal.

The Neutra numbers are gorgeous, but my house isn’t quite mod enough for them!

June 11, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Andrea! Dadgummit! I’ll take a look around for more cursive numbers to see what’s out there and post it.

6. Kelly Reply

June 24, 2010 at 12:56 pm

What a fun selection! We have the cursive numbers on our ranch and we absolutely love them.