Home » Decorating & Home » Mid-Century Menu » Desserts » Mid-Century Menu – Seafoam Cantaloupe Pie

June 23, 2010

Mid-Century Menu – Seafoam Cantaloupe Pie

Oh God.  You know we are going to make something truly terrible when we recieve a mid-century recipe from reader that has fascinated and horrified them for months, but also freaks them out too much for them to make it!  Thanks to reader Miss Marwood, who sent us this amazing submission from the BH&G Cookbook, Pies And Cakes.  This baby was published in 1966, and, if the recipe sent to us by Miss Marwood is any indication, is completely insane.

Well, maybe not completely insane.  But at least lacking in judgement.

Even those cherries cut into the pie crust on the cover look wrong to me.  I mean…look at them!

But I am just stalling for time here, drawing out the introduction as long as I can before I show you….THIS PICTURE!

Duh…duh…DAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!  *Screams* Oh my god its…hideous!! There are…balls in it! Balls!

Ha ha, I love this!  Really?  A standby for summer entertaining??

Well, I am excited! Let’s get started!

Notice the improved pictures??? Tom got a new camera, and so was more than happy to play photographer.  Enjoy the carnage!

*Note, I did use pasteurized egg whites for this recipe because I am ultra-cautious.  I want Tom to suffer, but I don’t want to kill him.

Well, either someone was sick in this bowl, or my gelatin is ready. Yuck!

Check out the “cantaloupe” peeking out from the bowl!  Its just…wrong.

My photographer got a little woozy at this point.  “This smells terrible.”

Slllllllurrrrrp!

Okay, am I crazy, or do you guys see a face in this too? Cantaloupe eyballs, crust mouth.  Yeaaaaahh. That’s creepy.

You know, I think I have seen this somewhere before.  Where was it? Oh yes, I remember now…

Lane’s mystery dessert from Better off Dead.

“It has…raisins in it. You like raisins.”

Try some!  Tom’s thinks you will like it….

The Verdict: Scary, but actually pretty good. The lime and cantaloupe don’t really go together, but the lime pie by itself was pretty tasty. Tom liked it, but not enough to eat several pieces.  I declare this Seafoam Cantaloupe Pie edible, but no way in hell would I serve this to guests!

Thanks, Miss Marwood!!!

10 Responses to Mid-Century Menu – Seafoam Cantaloupe Pie

June 23, 2010 at 12:17 pm

So, perhaps it would be better if you just left the cantaloupe out, then? Although that wouldn’t have anywhere near the scare factor, LOL

2. Lorie B. Reply

June 23, 2010 at 1:06 pm

OK…lets just acknowledge that I LOATHE (giant flashing neon letters here) cantaloupe. The color, the SMELL (gack!!!) and the texture (shudder). So this NASTY combination would NEVER be made in my house.

However, ROTFLMBO!!! I love “Better off Dead”. One of the greatest movies ever made…that they would never make now. There are so many ‘politically incorrect’ things in that movie. Everytime I watch that scene, and the one where she BOILS the bacon…I think of you now, LMBO!

Thanks for the laugh!

June 23, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Hey, at least they didn’t throw mustard in there too. 🙂

4. Dianna Reply

June 23, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I like lime and cantaloupes but not together. Ick! Though I remember while growing up with a Midwestern mother she was always making something with Jello. I ate a lot of Jello as a child. On a side note, I noticed Tom’s t-shirt with Oshkosh on it. I am heading out to Oshkosh from Denver tomorrow to visit my parents to probably eat something with Jello. 🙂

I enjoy your blog! Love the mid century menu.

5. Amy Reply

June 24, 2010 at 3:34 am

Some of those old recipes do look really scary but its good to know this one came out ok.

6. Miss Marwood Reply

June 24, 2010 at 7:40 am

OH MY, I am speechless… First of all: YOU ARE ALIVE!!!!!!!! I am so glad you survived this. The responsibility for your wellbeing had been weighing me down all week.
    Tom’s expression is just fantastic, as if he actually really enjoys it??? Or is he just mocking me? And it looks so much like on the picture in the book! Well done you both!! Just amazing… THANK YOU SO MUCH! This pie still looks extremely grim, though, I cannot help it. However, I have taken a trip into the world of Chiffon-Pies last weekend (same book, previous page) and the result has astounded me. Quite delicious. But then it was raspberry flavoured not like the cantaloupe pie which looks like alien brainmatter indeed. Your bravery knows no bounds. Looking forward to next week! 🙂

7. Kelly Reply

June 24, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I love how the cantaloupe balls seems to leap from the pie!

Good call on the “Better Off Dead” shot. That’s hilarious!

And your new camera takes great photos!

June 27, 2010 at 6:45 pm

I didn’t know you were taking requests, Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuth!!!!! LOL!

9. Lilliancooks Reply

October 3, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I just have one question…Is that a very young John Cusack in that picture of the young man who is just about to eat the pie?

• RetroRuth Reply

October 4, 2010 at 10:15 am

Yup! Good eye Lilliancooks! It is from the movie Better Off Dead.