Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Mid-Century Modern Motels: It’s All In The Name

June 22, 2010

Mid-Century Modern Motels: It’s All In The Name

By Sablemable aka Jan

I could not resist these MCM motels with the unique names, and  I apologize in advance for ruining your own hilarious thoughts with my comments.  He-he.

THE 40 WINKS MOTEL IN MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN

Just the name itself makes me want to curl up and take a nap.

THE BLINK IN’N NOD MOTEL, ELK GROVE, WISCONSIN

Where in the heck is Winkin’?

THE WAIKIKI MOTEL, MIAMI BEACH, FLORIDA

Make up your mind! Is this Hawaii or Florida, for God’s sake!

THE PAR-A-DICE INN, LAS VEGAS, NEVADA

We get it!  We get it!

THE DANDEE MOTEL, FREDERICK, MARYLAND

I wonder if the owners are  Andy Dandee and his wife, Sandy Dandee, along with son Randy Dandee and  daughter Mandy Dandee?

THE TIP OF THE MITT MOTEL, MACKINAW CITY, MICHIGAN

If giving directions, do the following:  Put a mitten on the left hand.   Extend the left arm straight away and flex the left hand up from the wrist and hold it!  Take right index finger and place directly on the mittened tip of the second finger of the left hand.   And, there you are!  In Mackinaw City!

6 Responses to Mid-Century Modern Motels: It’s All In The Name

June 22, 2010 at 10:42 am

Love seeing these old motels! We have some old ones still, here in Mesa – but it seems like they are getting sort of run down. It’s too bad because some of them look pretty cool.

2. Steph @ Tart Deco Reply

June 22, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Hello from Milwaukee! Do you have an address on the 40 Winks? It looks suspiciously like part of a hotel near our airport that is still there.

June 22, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Hi, Steph! Don’t know if this is still the address, as the postcard is from the Fifties/Sixties, but it’s 11017 W. Bluemound Road.

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!! Couldn’t find any motels named the “No-Tell Motel,” darn it!

4. TimC Reply

June 22, 2010 at 6:27 pm

A favorite for me is the Generic Motel in Mc Millan, Michigan (MI) where the cabins are (what else) black and white. Mc Millan – also home to the Poor Boy Restaurant and also. . . not much else! LOL

June 22, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Hi, Tim! LOL, the Generic Motel is a new one on me! Thanks for the heads up!

6. Lorie B. Reply

June 22, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Do you have any pictures of the old Snowflake that was in St. Joe? That was a classic MCM motel. I can’t say I was sad to see it go because it ad gotten to such a state. If someone would have bought it and totally revamped it to it’s previous glory…how awesome that would have been.

That, and do you recall the name of that hotel/motel that was on the hill in Stevensville on Red Arrow Highway? It was about a mile north of the skating rink near where Midwest Glass is now… My Grandma has some film from when a friend stayed there, but there wasn’t a pic of the hotel name. I do remember when it was still there, though. It had a real Spanish med look about it.