Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Refinishing A Heywood Wakefield Corner Table!

June 24, 2010

Refinishing A Heywood Wakefield Corner Table!

By Sara In AZ

__________________________________________________

I really, really love Heywood Wakefield furniture. If I can find the stuff at a reasonable price, I will always pick it up. It seems like most of the Heywood I find are pieces that need total refinishing because I am cheap and don’t want to pay hundreds/thousands of dollars for the “perfect” furniture. Check out the post on my Heywood dining table HERE. I have to say this corner/end table was probably my best find ever, though you probably think I am insane for saying that from these first few pics. I bought this Heywood table at a thrift store here in Phoenix for $15. This table is marked c 3755 G and was made from 1940-1944 when Heywood Wakefield was using paper labels instead of the burned in ‘Eagle’ logo. I almost passed this by at the thrift store, but then I was thinking “That sure does look like Heywood”. So I went for a closer look – only hand written numbers on the bottom, no paper label at all. I was positive 3755 sounded like a Heywood number, but I was not totally sure. So, I took a chance that it was really Heywood and bought it ! It was beat to hell, as you can see from the pics. It had these huge dents in the side edges of the wood, most of the stain was in really bad shape, and it looked like some water had gotten on the bottom of the legs. I think Mike thought I had gone ‘looney tunes’ when he saw this one come through the door. I looked the table up when I got home, and sure enough it is a Heywood Wakefield table. I am assuming the paper label just fell off over time. I am sure the thrift store would not have sold this for just $15 had they known what it really was- though it did need a HUUUGE amount of work.

Oh boy, starting the sanding process……………. There was really no way of removing the legs for sanding/staining, so I just had to work around that! And yes, I did manage to sand out all those dents!

And onto the staining process. I always like the staining process, the furniture always looks so pretty and fresh. I always use this ‘Heywood’ stain I get off of E-Bay. There is a guy on there who mixes stain to match Champagne and Wheat finishes. It is a stain and topcoat all in one so you do not have to worry about too many steps. I have always had really good luck with his stains, and he will mix custom colors for you if you need that as well. HERE is a link to his E-Bay store.

And here is the finished product! Ta Da!

I think it turned out pretty good! Has anyone else out there refinished any old furniture? If so we would love to hear your story!

15 Responses to Refinishing A Heywood Wakefield Corner Table!

1. P. Reply

June 24, 2010 at 10:59 am

That is amazing! You did a wonderful job restoring it to its former beauty!

June 24, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Gorgeous! You did an awesome job!

The extent of our furniture refinishing adventures thus far would be the 1915 Singer Treadle machine I have that I refinished the cabinet that it is in, and our bedroom set is from the 1940s, it belonged to my hubby’s grandparents. We did a quickie paint job on that, as it was badly in need of something being done to it. Someday we will probably refinish it properly. The Singer came out really well, though.

3. Kelly Reply

June 24, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Girl, you are a miracle worker! That table looks showroom new! I am never patient enough to refinish furniture so you earn extra brownie points in my book.

4. Shen Reply

June 24, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Sara! The table looks amazing!!!

June 24, 2010 at 3:21 pm

That looks completely gorgeous! I am always so envious of your DIY ability. Tom takes one look at battered, lonely furniture and says, “pass”, so we haven’t taken the plunge into furniture refinishing yet. But some day…I’m gonna get him…

June 24, 2010 at 3:59 pm

P. – Thanks so much!

Andrea – It sounds like you are doing pretty well with your refinishing projects! You should send in some pics sometime. Thanks for the comment.

Kelly – Thanks girl, I appreciate it! I do have to admit you need patience to refinish the stuff, sometimes it seems endless to me………….. Hooray, extra brownie points for me!

Shen – Thank You!!!! I appreciate it!

Ruth – You could totally do it too, I know you could. But, like I said to Kelly, it does take A LOT of time. I would recommend starting small if you did want to try refinishing – not with the big dining room set like crazy me did. 🙂

June 25, 2010 at 9:42 am

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the step-by-step process as you know I have 2 Hey-Wakes to refinish.

The tables looks bee-you-tiful!

8. Sharon Reply

November 1, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Just acquired the corner table and is painted white!!! Any suggestions for removing paint/refinishing – as far as products to use?

November 2, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Sharon – I have removed paint from wood using paint remover/stripper products I bought from Home Depot. I cannot remember the brand. You should test your old paint first to make sure there is no lead though. The stuff I bought sprayed on (kind of like an aerosol can), sat for a few minutes, and then you scrape it off. After you get the paint off I am sure you will need to sand everything down. I always sand 3 times – once with 60 grit, once with 150 grit, and once with 220 grit. Then you can apply whatever stain you choose. I recommend the stain the guy sells on E-bay – see the link above. Good luck! Let us know how your project turns out.

10. Pingback: Refinishing Our Heywood Wakefield M328 Desk Bookcase…….The Definitive Post on Refinishing! | No Pattern Required

11. Pingback: Refinishing Our Heywood Wakefield Encore Night Stands | No Pattern Required

12. Abbey Reply

July 20, 2014 at 8:56 am

Sara…I have inherited a Heywood Wakefield butterfly dining table, hutch w/ top, & small drop leaf table…in the process of refinishing the dining table..stripped it, but has loads of water rings, etc. How do I go about getting rid of them before refinishing..I want it to look like new!! Its a beautiful piece..HELP!

13. Abbey Reply

August 27, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Thanks for the info..we’ve bleached and sanded..still some rings..suggestions???

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 27, 2014 at 8:07 pm

I don’t mean to keep repeating myself, but it sounds like y’all haven’t sanded enough. If you click through to my definitive post on refinishing (that I linked to above) you can scroll down and you will see how I managed to sand out an ink stain from the wood…yes – ink. It took me a very long time – probably more than 30 mins. You REALLY have to be careful not to over sand the area or you will have a depression in the wood…but it can be done. Also, be sure that you are using 60 grit sandpaper when you are sanding out those rings.