Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Shen Finds Another Time Capsule!

June 17, 2010

Shen Finds Another Time Capsule!

By Sara In AZ

_________________________________________________________

I have to say that reader Shen must be the “Goddess” of all time capsule spotters! Shen is the one who spotted the time capsule gem with the Starburst door escutcheon a few weeks back. Click HERE for a link to that house. Shen recently spotted this totally bomb-a-licious MCM time capsule house in Phoenix, and I knew I had to share it with y’all. I think the only thing that had been updated in this house was the flooring. I have to say that this house would be THE PERFECT HOUSE for Mike and I – if it was not for the $995,000 price tag! EEPS!!!! This  house was built in 1956 and has 5 bedrooms and 4,114 sq. feet. On with the tour………………..

The front of the house with awesome brick and stone work. I think(???) the light stone could be limestone – not sure though.

The mailbox was a new, custom made, mailbox- but it looked so cool and MCM I had to take a pic of it.

The front entry also had planters with the same stone as the outside planters.

The original doorbell/clock to the left of the entry.

And now we step down into the formal living room. You can see the fireplace is done in the same fabulous white stone and has a really cool design! Love all the windows! And the lights!

Formal dining room.

Now for the kitchen! I believe the painted wood cabinets were original, but the I do not think the paint was original. Obviously, the appliances and faucet are new and the counter tops were a Corian type material. I have to say for a million dollars I thought the kitchen would be in better shape. You can’t really tell from the pics, but the cabinets were not in that great of shape. The paint was sticky/tacky and you could not close some cabinets or open other ones. Some of the cabinet wood was falling apart too. I thought the kitchen was charming, I guess it just needs some metal cabinets like yours Ruth!

Family room, with cool fireplace.

Laundry room.

OK, here is the first of 4 bathrooms. Get out your smelling salts here kids! They have THE BEST shower doors in this house!!!

2nd bathroom. Get a load of the Crane fixtures, I love the faucets! All the bathrooms, except for the yellow one above, had the cool Crane faucets. I believe all the mosaic type tile on the floors and tub surround is new. And, it looks like there was a slight accident with the toilet lid cover – oops!

3rd bathroom. Love the turquoise!

OMG! Really get out your smelling salts now kids, this is the 4th and final bathroom – the master bathroom- and it does not disappoint! PINK, PINK, PINK! This is the pink bathroom of my dreams!

The master closet is HUGE, with TONS of built ins!

Most of the bedrooms had these cool original ceiling lights.

And finally, the backyard. Lovely!

Oh boy, this one is a real doozy! I really do love this house, but it is soooooo far out of our price range we can only dream about it. Who knows, maybe we will win the lottery! I really do hope whoever does get this house really loves all the charm it has to offer and does not rip out all the retro bathrooms. Please, please, please don’t rip out those cool bathrooms!!! Thanks again Shen for an awesome find – keep them coming girl!

11 Responses to Shen Finds Another Time Capsule!

1. crash pad girl Reply

June 17, 2010 at 10:13 am

I’m speechless.

June 17, 2010 at 12:25 pm

OMG, I am absolutely drooling. I am crossing my fingers that you do win the lotto, Sara, so you can buy that place – it really looks to be worth every penny!

3. Lorie B. Reply

June 17, 2010 at 1:06 pm

I love the house, but for the money…I would have expected somethings to be a little nicer. Like the whole kitchen thing. It looks to me like they removed the cabinets to paint them and put them on in the wrong places. The people who had our house did that. Some of mine won’t hardly open, and some of them will not stay shut (GRRRR). Oh well, I am going to paint and redo my kitchen sometime and that will all be fixed.

Still, a truly lovely home that I could move into in a heartbeat. I must say that I would give some of my teeth for that fireplace in the front room. *sigh* And those bathrooms!!!! WOW!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

4. Leslie Reply

June 17, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I love looking at mid-century time capsule homes, and this one was lovely! I love the stone/brick work in the entryway and the fireplaces, and the tile floor in the foyer is to die for!

June 17, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Holy Tile, Batman! Shen, you are the best correspondent eva! I am floored by those bathrooms, and that master suite???? Get outta here. But I agree the kitchen could be a little better for the price. But I would still take it and paint all those cabs pink! 🙂

Great post, guys! Love it!

6. Annie B. Reply

June 17, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Oh, Ladies, I’m sobbing! What a house!! Dig that Franciscan “Starburst” pattern tile in that bathroom. Let me run get a Kleenex.

Thank you for the joy!!

June 17, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Glad everyone enjoyed the tour!

Andrea – I pray every night that I win the lottery! 🙂

Lori B. – There were a few other weird issues with the house too like really horrible lighting in the bathrooms – and a some other things that I would expect to be taken care of for a million dollars. I don’t think they will get that much though, values have fallen a lot here and I think they are just trying to make their money back.

Ruth – A kitchen like yours, and I would have been sold! 😉

June 17, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Annie B. – I was really looking at that Starburst tile because I collect the Starburst pattern and I actually have some original, old, Starburst tiles. I think they were new tiles with the Starburst decal. They did not have the same speckled background and the glaze on top was totally different than the old tiles. It makes me wonder how they did it, or where they got them from though???

June 18, 2010 at 7:03 am

OMG!

10. RubyLemons Reply

May 22, 2013 at 10:35 am

SWOON! Wow, what a gorgeous place! And obviously the owners have impeccable taste. LOVE those Argyle chairs in the dining room! I suppose they are real. Beautiful home. Love the kitchen, too!