Home » Decorating & Home » Mid-Century Decorating » Curb Appeal » Trim, Trim, Trim – Choosing Paint For Our House

June 28, 2010

Trim, Trim, Trim – Choosing Paint For Our House

By RetroRuth

Tom and I were ridiculously busy this weekend, as always.  Truthfully, it is kind of a relief when Monday comes and I can scuttle back to the safety of my computer and my writing deadlines.  I love Tom dearly, but sometimes he is exhausting! 🙂

One of the many goals for this weekend was to pick out and buy paint for the trim on our brick ranch.  As you can see, the original (awesome) yellowish brick of our house was “stained” a cream color a few years back, and everything that wasn’t brick was painted various shades of purple.  Well, we aren’t very fond of purple, so another color is in order.  Or several other colors, actually.

Our first choices were some that we had used with great success inside the house.  Sherwin Williams Sycamore Tan, Caribbean Coral and Fairfax Brown from the Suburban Modern Collection.

Those didn’t work out too well.  The Coral was too melon-y, and Sycamore Tan was too close to the brick stain.  The brown was just too dark with both of those.

Here is a second attempt with a few other colors.  Tom was out painting, repainting, washing brushes and making judgements.  I sat in the chair most of the time. See? Exhausting.

We added Harvest Gold, Avocado, Plymouth Green and Rookwood Terra Cotta to the mix. All were still from the Suburban Modern palette, except for Rookwood Terra Cotta, which was (embarrassingly) from the Victorian Color palette.

We tried many colors in many spots. Tom washed a lot of brushes.

And finally (!!!) I think we have decided on the Fairfax Brown and Rookwood Terra Cotta.  The brown is still drying in this photo.  It actually dries pretty dark.

What do you think, guys?  Good choices?

9 Responses to Trim, Trim, Trim – Choosing Paint For Our House

1. Natalie @ Chadwell Chronicles Reply

June 28, 2010 at 8:42 am

It’s funny how I can vizualize all those colors without seeing them. I stared at those palettes for hours when we were painting our bedrooms. We used Plymouth Green for our bedroom and I love it. So if you ever need a happy green, go for that one. =)

June 28, 2010 at 11:55 am

Yes! I think you have definitely chosen the right colors. They look GREAT! Or, you could just keep painting the different color swatches all around your house. 🙂 Just kidding!!!

3. Ron Reply

June 28, 2010 at 12:24 pm

I like your color choice, it will look great. You could always go for the Partridge family bus look and continue the multi color swatches around the house :D.

I’m still in the process of repainting the trim and awnings on my place. Awnings are going to be tan using automotive glossy paint and the shutters are going to be “Florida aqua” from Benjamin Moore.

June 28, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Ruth, exactly what color is the brick? It looks gray to me.

June 28, 2010 at 12:54 pm

LOL, I need new glasses! Why did they paint the brick? If you’re keeping it the cream color, then go with the brown; it will contrast nicely.

6. Annie B. Reply

June 28, 2010 at 2:44 pm

What a great house! The Rookwood palette actually looks really mid-mod on the chip to me. Think “Cliff May” ranch house….

Can’t wait to see the results!! Have fune!

7. Annie B. Reply

June 28, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Uh, that would be FUN, guys. I’ve been camping up in the hills for several days and have forgotten how to type!

June 28, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Thanks for the help, guys!

Natalie – I also love the Plymouth Green, I think we are going to use it in the craft room downstairs. And I know what you mean about recognizing the color names! Tom and I throw those around so often we don’t need the sheet either!

Sara – I am glad you like the colors…and I think Tom made that same joke about leaving the swatches! 🙂

Ron – Ha! Partridge Family! Also, we must have pictures of your ranch. During and after painting. Must.

Sable – Yeah, they used a “brick stain” rather than a paint, so you can’t blast it off. Nice, huh? Anyway, it is a cream color that isn’t bad, but wouldn’t be my first choice. Ever.

Annie – How was camping? Fune?? 🙂 Just kidding. I am glad you haven’t cursed me soundly for our color choice. I actually really like it!

9. Pingback: Painting The Trim Of Our Mid-Century Ranch House | No Pattern Required