Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Won’t You Be My Neighbor?

June 27, 2010

Won’t You Be My Neighbor?

By Sablemable aka Jan

Today’s home is at 251 Cherokee Trail in Benton Harbor, Michigan.  It has 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, 2,133 square feet, a 2 car attached garage and is listed at $124,900.00.  The house is located in St. Joseph Charter Township and is about one-half mile from my home in Fair Plain.   The home was built in 1965 and from the looks of it, it appears to be in time-capsule condition.

251 CHEROKEE TRAIL FRONT & BACK

THE ENTRY

THE LIVING ROOM (2 VIEWS)

THE KITCHEN (2 VIEWS)

THE FAMILY ROOM (3 VIEWS)

A WHITE BATHROOM (2 VIEWS)

A BLUE TILED BATHROOM

7 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor?

June 27, 2010 at 1:01 pm

What a lovely house Jan! I love those iron room divider things in the entry – and the indoor grill is a killer!

June 27, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Gorgeous! I love the room divider things in the entry as well, and the woodwork in the living room!

June 27, 2010 at 3:47 pm

How about the hanging lights in the white bathroom and the snack-bar area in the kitchen?

Also, I believe the kitchen faced the street, which I personally like. You can wash the dishes and spy on your neighbors all at the same time!

June 27, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Holy Nuts! I love the entryway and that sunken tub! Sweet!

5. Tim Reply

June 28, 2010 at 11:35 am

What’s the story on sunken tubs? We have two in our mid century home in Texas. They don’t seem common even in houses of the time period, and I definitely haven’t seen them since. Was it the height of luxury? For people with mobility issues? It seems like putting it into the slab foundation must have been a decent expense so it can’t have been done for no reason.

June 28, 2010 at 11:49 am

Tim – Is your house more of a custom house? My husband and I have been looking for a time capsule house to buy for about the past 2 years and I have seen some sunken tubs in the 50s/60s homes we have been in, but only in the more custom and expensive homes.

7. Tim Reply

June 28, 2010 at 12:23 pm

We’ve been trying to figure that out. We think it’s possible it was a model. We’ve seen a couple versions of our house around town, but they appear to be slightly smaller, have lower quality windows, smaller beams, no fireplace, etc. We have the blueprints and you can see where they made custom changes. We don’t know a lot about it, though.