Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » MCM Home Improvement: Lawn Decor Part 1

July 9, 2010

MCM Home Improvement: Lawn Decor Part 1

By Sablemable aka Jan

I have always loved gazing balls or gazing globes and remember seeing them frequently in the front yards of MCM homes during the Sixties.

Gazing balls originated in 13th century Venice and were very popular in the kingdoms for warding off evil spirits, sickness, and other no-good-niks, and when they finally reached the front yards of America in the early 20th century, gazing balls meant wealth and success.

Gazing balls come in an assortment of sizes and colors, plus now they’re constructed of stainless steel.

You must have a stand to place your gazing ball upon and as I remember, the plainer the stand, the better it blends in with MCM architecture.

Nowadays I seldom see a gazing ball/stand in a MCM front yard, but, surprise, surprise, I was looking out the window and saw one in my neighbors yard!  Yippee-skippee!

I have a spot or two in my front yard for one of these.  How about it, gang?

7 Responses to MCM Home Improvement: Lawn Decor Part 1

July 9, 2010 at 11:09 am

Hmmm … those might actually be perfect to add a little more colour to my front yard! It is definitely not traditional MCM, and tends to be a little too green, but one of those might do the trick!

July 9, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Hi, Andrea! I used to see more of the silver and gold gazing globe colors, but occasionally I’d see a blue or green one. I kind of prefer either a gold or green one for my yard.

July 9, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Pretty!!! I have always wanted one of these, I love little yard ornaments.

Hmm…I wonder if I could put one in a mid-century sink? Do you think Tom would go for that, J-J?? 🙂

4. Annie B. Reply

July 9, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Love these! They remind me of Krystal hamburgers.

Go for it, Sable. Then, you can add a cement bird bath with a seahorse pedestal, a pair of cememt deer, a white wooden rose trellis, and a huge planting of Elephant Ears. Man, I love ’50’s yard art. Don’t even get me started on what you can find here in the South, even these days.

Speaking of neighbors, one of ours has the archetypical ’50’s lawn ornament: the stable boy hitching post. I did a double-take when I first saw it. Something about those things gives me the willies!

Great post, Sable! Hope you’ll do more on yard art.

Ruth…….how about two gazing balls in a mid century double sink?
    The mind reels at the analogies!

July 9, 2010 at 5:14 pm

LOL, Ruth! Can imagine the expression on Tom-Tom’s face!!!!!!

Annieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! Forgot about the seahorse bird bath! I am planning on buying a white wooden rose trellis, fan-shaped, no less!

6. Alex Reply

July 9, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Thanks for ideas, Annie and Sable! Mr. B just ripped up the nasty outdoor carpet on our front porch and painted it. I bought a “retro” chair from Lowes, and I found those doormats that were astroturf with the daisy on them. So far, we are off to a good start. I can’t wait to finish off the front yard.

July 9, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Sableeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mom had a gazing ball and stand. The stand was not just any stand though, it was an cool old chimney topper from England that we found at the antique flea market thing in Texas. Unfortunately, when she moved here the idiot movers boke it! 🙁 So now she just has the gazing ball.