Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » MCM Home Improvement: New Construction

July 30, 2010

MCM Home Improvement: New Construction

By Sablemable aka Jan

Whew!  Quite a feat in home improvement, however, if I could tear down some of these new-fangled houses and replace them with a MCM home, so much the better!  Right, gang?

Seriously, somebody out there wants, needs, desires to build an authentic MCM home and in one of my Popular Home magazines, this one house stood out among the many home plans that I have from that era.  The plans shown are from the Spring 1955 edition.  An interesting note about this home and the others featured in this issue was they were part of experimental construction by United States Gypsum’s Research Village.   Six homes were built in Barrington Woods, Illinois near Chicago.  They had an open house event back then during the months of April and May.  Dadgummit!  We just missed it by fifty-five years and two months!  Wonder if any of these homes are still standing?

I don’t know what attracted me to this particular home, as it is on the small side, but I love the front door!

On this home, the architects called for steel and gypsum planks for quick construction and easy maintenance.  The downstairs rec room has a “glass” wall that opens to the terrace and an extra bedroom and bath.  Kohler bathroom fixtures, Mosaic Tile, Trane baseboard heating, Pittsburgh Plate Glass and Congoleum -Nairn Gold Seal vinyl flooring were used in the home.

Here’s a larger image of the floor plans.

What are your thoughts?

8 Responses to MCM Home Improvement: New Construction

July 30, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Hmmmmm, maybe I can get Mike to whip me one of these houses right up! 🙂

2. Lorie B Reply

July 30, 2010 at 12:24 pm

A lovely house, Jan. However, it would be WAY too small (as is my house NOW) for my family of 6. Still, modifications could be made to enlarge the home. I like that it ‘feels’ like a split level. I adore them for some reason. I ever get te money, that is likely what I will have built for us. But, that is a dream, LOL. Thanks so much for sharing!

July 30, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! IMO, it is the perfect size for a house, but we’re only 2 adults, soon to be 2 kids and 2 Chihuahuas, heh, I can see how it might be a bit small for a larger family.

4. Sharon Reply

July 30, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Yum! I love vintage home ogling!

5. Annie B. Reply

July 30, 2010 at 3:39 pm

What a honey! This house has all the right elements of MCM. I am drooling! The front has a really Eames-ish look, which I adore.
    Love the split level, the abundance of glass, and the patio. How many square feet is it? The long kitchen/dining combo room would be fabulous for entertaining. Look at the cool Kentiles on the floor!
    Wonder what is behind the curtains??

It might hearten you know know that there is a young builder in our area who is sincerely turned on by mid century design. Of course, I would be his only client assuming that I win the lottery. We live in a rural coastal area where the styles of architecture tend toward condo megaliths and McMansions on the beach. At least, that’s how the “other half” lives! it’s made me really happy to know that a young
    person is as enamored with MCM as I am.

Thanks a million for the inspiration, Sable. I would love to get my paws on some issues of ’50’s “Popular Home”. Great post!

July 30, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL, yeah, Mike, whip one of these homes out ASAP!!!!!!

Lorie!!!!!!! Sorry about the small size house; I can see how it would be like living in a sardine can with a fam of 6, LOL!

Andreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!! Same goes with you re the size! Hey, puppies are kids, too! Mazel tov on your soon-to-be kiddies! Twins?

Sharon!!!!!!! Love ogling, too, so stop by often!

Annieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! Tell your builder friend to stop by here for MCM shmoozing and ogling! Personally, I love this house. With the living area upstairs, it’s like living in a tree house!

July 30, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Sable! Thanks! No, not twins (fortunately, heh!) I already have a 14 year old daughter (who would think that the bedroom/bathroom on the lower floor of this house would be utterly cool!), and I have one on the way, due in October. So I should have said my one, soon to be two kids, heh. And yes, the puppies definitely think that they are kids, too, LOL

August 3, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Andreaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! LOL, sometimes 14 year olds are a bit infantile in behavior, eh? Good luck anyway!