Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » MCM Home Improvement: Storm Doors

July 2, 2010

MCM Home Improvement: Storm Doors

By Sablemable aka Jan

Too bad it’s not 1964 where we could call Montgomery Ward and order the storm doors that we need and at these prices!

Alas!  We’ll have to settle for what I’ve found online.

At Columbia Windows, their Royal Storm Door of  mill finished aluminum run about $136.00 each.  They have standard sizes available and will also customize a door for you.  Visit their website at www.columbiawindows.com

Next up-  a grille.   This was a tough find!    I’m sorry for the small size of the picture, but I couldn’t get one any larger.  Screen Tech USA have these for about $15.00 each, but they only fit a 36″ door.  I’m tempted to buy one to check the quality and fit.

However, if you are a welder, you could make your own grille.  Decorative cast aluminum and other metals are available at King Architectural Metals (www.kingmetals.com) or at www.sssonlinestore.com both whom have all of the scrolls, bars, letters, clips and other supplies a welder would need to make a MCM storm door grille.

Have you had any luck finding these storm doors and grilles, either new or used?

And, if you know of other businesses that carry the storm doors and grilles, please let us know and I will do an update.

6 Responses to MCM Home Improvement: Storm Doors

1. Missouri Michael Reply

July 2, 2010 at 10:26 am

Croft, LLC. also makes these mill finish storm doors. You can see their website here: http://www.croftllc.com/

My local Do It Best hardware store also carries a curly mill finish storm door grill for around $30, but I’m not sure what sizes they come in.

July 2, 2010 at 11:49 am

Hi,Missouri Michael!

Thanks for the info! I’ll check out both places!

3. Annie B. Reply

July 2, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Sableeeeeee,

Thanks for a great post. How I would love to have one of these bad boys on my house this very minute. I remember the storm door with monogrammed grille so well. It just seemed to be the height of sophistication to me as a child in the mid century.

July 2, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Annieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! It’s still sophisticated to have a monogrammed grille cos we MCMers got CLASS!

5. Kelly Reply

July 2, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I haven’t checked lately but at one time, smaller hardware stores like Ace could order these doors in. There is a door insert with a horse on it that I have been swooning over on eBay. It’s ridiculously good if you like horses or the ranch look. I won’t be getting it though as some things are more important – like paying the electric bill. 🙂

My next door neighbor has an old door with a sailboat inset into it. Her house is from the late 40’s.

July 2, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Hi,Kelly! I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything different on the grilles except the monograms, but the sailboat and horse sound great!