Home » Our Houses » Our Sputnik Light Is Finally Installed!

July 5, 2010

Our Sputnik Light Is Finally Installed!

By RetroRuth

Wow.  So after many trips to the hardware store, lots of poor planning and some just downright guessing, our Sputnik light is finally installed in the entryway.  But I can’t argue with the results!

Nice, huh???

I am just happy that it is up…

And Tom and I didn’t kill each other!

Hope everyone had a great 4th!

18 Responses to Our Sputnik Light Is Finally Installed!

1. Deb Reply

July 5, 2010 at 7:08 am

Looks gorgeous!!

July 5, 2010 at 12:37 pm

wow, that is so gorgeous! I am jealous! 🙂

July 5, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Oh My!!! That light really does look fantastic in your entry! I am jealous tooooooo! And, that is good that you and Tom didn’t kill each other – we need you guys around! 😉

4. Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese Reply

July 5, 2010 at 10:53 pm

It literally took my breath away! A small-town vintage shop about 75 miles from me has one for $450, which seems like a fair price (although still not in my budget). Unfortunately, we don’t plan on staying in our current home for much longer, so I can’t justify buying it. But every time I’m in that shop, I just gaze at it longingly…

5. blackberry Reply

July 5, 2010 at 11:59 pm

It looks great.

6. WP Reply

July 6, 2010 at 10:00 am

Not to take away from the light, but I am more mesmerized by the doorway.

7. KDA Reply

July 6, 2010 at 10:09 am

It looks great! What’s your flooring?

8. Annie B. Reply

July 6, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Absolutely spectacular! A sputnik light has been one of my heart’s deepest mid mod desires. Still cannot believe you were lucky enough to find a vintage one which works, and for a fair price. I’ve been fascinated with these light fixtures since childhood…..always SO cool! Congrats on owning something really wonderful.

July 6, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Ruuuuuuuuuuuth! I love it! It’s spectacular there in the entryway!

LOL @ you and Tom-Tom not getting into a fight over installing it! Been there, done that with Bobby!

10. Alex Reply

July 6, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Beautiful! I would put on a vintage dress and gaze at it, while sipping a dry martini. Mmmm.

11. P. Reply

July 7, 2010 at 1:43 pm

That is flippin’ awesome!

12. Annie B. Reply

July 7, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Ruth,

What is the diameter of your sputnik and how many arms does it have? Just curious for the sake of reference. Yours is the closest to the sputniks I remember from childhood and the exact kind I would love to have. Thanks so much!

13. Lara Jane Reply

July 7, 2010 at 4:43 pm

The door/sidelights + slate(?) floor + Sputnik = perfection.

July 7, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Thanks, everyone! We think it is pretty great, as well. At night it is amazing…

I love that door too, WP. It is one of the best parts of the house!

KDA, the flooring is actually marble, and is original to the house. I actually didn’t care for it at first when we bought the place, but with some polish and a different color wall paint it became amazing.

Annie, the light is 36 inches across and has 24 arms on it. The tag inside the light said it was “Harmony House”. Glad you like it and approve!!! 🙂

July 7, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Thanks, everyone! We think it is pretty great, as well. At night it is amazing…

I love that door too, WP. It is one of the best parts of the house!

16. Kelly Reply

July 7, 2010 at 5:41 pm

It looks glorious! You just can’t beat those lights for dramatic impact. Your foyer and front door area is very cool too.

17. Annie B. Reply

July 8, 2010 at 11:07 am

Ruth,

Thanks so much for the info. I want to say that “Harmony House” was a mid century Sears line of housewares and home decor. You’ve made the score of the century, in my opinion.

I located an online company in California (modernartifax.com)last year who makes repro’s which are darned close to the vintage in style. Their prices aren’t too awful; beats what you’d pay for the real thing on ebay or at a retail dealer’s. You can buy the star bulbs on line reasonably, too.

My Holy Grails of mid century lighting are (1) a glorious sputnik like yours and (2) a George Nelson saucer shaped bubble light. One of these days, I’m going to bask beneath the warm glow of both of them hanging somewhere in my wannabe rancho. Vodka Gimlet, please!

18. Paul Smith Reply

January 31, 2016 at 1:16 am

I love this sputnik light. Where did you get it and how much was it!