Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Thrifted Turquoise Hair Dryer!

July 15, 2010

Thrifted Turquoise Hair Dryer!

By Sara In AZ

I don’t know how the Goodwill stores across the US normally operate, but here in Phoenix  we have dollar day on Thursdays. Everything that they sell has a week number attached to it and if you wait it out, and the item is still there, you can get it for a dollar on Thursdays. I think it is about 4 weeks before the item would sell for the dollar price. So you have to wait and hope…….and wait and hope…….and wait and hope that your item will still be there on dollar day – if you are really cheap like me. 🙂 Soooo, I saw this old 50s/60s Sears turquoise hair dryer for sale right after it came into the store for $99.99. I was like “What, a hundred bucks – no way!” I decided right then and there if it was still there on dollar day it would be mine! So I stalked it each and every week to make sure it was still there. On the appointed Thursday I was there before the store opened. There was a bunch of other people there too. I thought, “Crap, they are probably all going to run over to my turquoise dryer.” When the doors opened I quickly walked over to the dryer and grabbed it, everyone else went to other stuff they were obsessing over! Hooray, it was all mine – and for just a dollar!!! I think it is missing a plastic hood on the bottom, but heck who cares for only a dollar!

I have not had the courage to plug it in yet. 🙂  But it looks like it would totally work.

So, what do y’all think? Did I do OK for a dollar?

I have no earthly idea what I am actually going to do with this old hair dryer, but I just could not pass it up. Maybe I should start up a beauty salon in my house???

Bouffant anyone?

21 Responses to Thrifted Turquoise Hair Dryer!

1. Miss Marwood Reply

July 15, 2010 at 6:27 am

I admire your patience and willpower! 🙂 I was at the edge of my seat until I read you actually got it, thinking you were talking about a hand-held hairdryer!! I love the idea of 1$-Day. Let us know whether it actually works or whether lights went out all over Phoenix when you plugged it in! 🙂

2. Kelly Reply

July 15, 2010 at 9:31 am

Oh my gosh, Sara! A dollar!? It’s sooooooo pretty. You deserve it too for your determination and patience. I can just see you in line that morning, looking at each person trying to figure out of they look like a turquoise hair dryer kind of person!

When you plug it in, maybe put it on the porch and run an extension cord out. I bet you that it does work though!

I wish that our Goodwill had dollar days.

July 15, 2010 at 10:40 am

Miss Marwood – Thank you so much! He He – yes, it might just blackout all of Phoenix when I plug it in! 🙂 I will definitely let y’all know.

Kelly – What are you reading my mind? That is exactly what I was doing that morning – trying to figure out who was a turquoise dryer kind of person. 🙂 You must be reading my husbands mind too, that is exactly what he said – let’s plug it in on the porch!

4. Shen Reply

July 15, 2010 at 11:21 am

Sara, you’re my hero! Love that hair dryer!

I just found out about dollars days at Goodwill too so I shall start stalking things I may want. haha

July 15, 2010 at 11:59 am

Thanks Shen! 🙂 You definitely have to check out dollar day girl!!!

July 15, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Wonderful find, Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! I need to come down there just to thrift!

LOL, while I was reading your story, I was also thinking that you should find a turquoise pnuematic chair, a shampoo station in turquoise and open up a beauty parlor!

Great minds at work!

July 15, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Nice! It probably does work fine, and better than today’s hairdryers, LOL. I LOVE the turquoise colour. I have a avocado green portable hood dryer (a portable version of what you have there, really) that I got for $2 at a garage sale. However, my daughter promptly stole that one, so I lucked out and found another one – this one is different, it looks more like a showercap with a hair dryer hose attached to it, but it also has a nail dryer, so I kind of like it better, heh. I paid a whopping 50 cents for that one.

8. Alex Reply

July 15, 2010 at 1:56 pm

LOVE IT! You could put it behind a cool MCM chair. It would be a like an MCM beauty electric chair. I know, I know. I can be weird. You could also see if you could gut it and make it a lamp. I’m not sure if that’s possible, but there are lamps kits you could buy. Just my two cents.

9. Annie B. Reply

July 15, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Congratulations, Sara! That baby is positively sculptural! And in turquoise, my favorite. Wouldn’t it be hootie if you could turn it into a lamp!

Please let us East Coasters know when you’re ready to fire that girl up; we’ll be watching the skies for the light show.

Seriously, you have found yourself a real prize, lucky girl!

10. Miss Sews-it-all Reply

July 15, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Freakin’ cool find!

July 16, 2010 at 1:51 am

Sableeeeee!!!!!! – You should come down here just to thrift – you would go back with a truck load!!!! Oh, now you have done it – I will HAVE to find a turquoise pneumatic chair and a shampoo station to go along with the dryer! 🙂 Question is, can I find them for a dollar too???????

Andrea – You are probably totally right that it would work better than dryers today! It seems like people always say that about the old appliances vs. new. I can picture just the dryer you have, and it sounds like you got an awesome deal too!!!

Alex – Thanks so much!!! Maybe I will put it behind my new pink chair. 🙂 Funny that you mentioned making it into a lamp, my husband mentioned doing that too – if we can’t get it to work. We will see………

Annie B. – Thanks girl!!!! It would be a pretty crazy cool lamp wouldn’t it! I will definitely let you know when we get the courage up to flip the switch. 🙂

Miss Sews-it-all – Thank You!

12. Miri Reply

July 17, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Its just beautiful!

13. maureen Reply

July 17, 2010 at 6:00 pm

I was so thrilled to find your blog (while searching images of 1950’s kitchens). Then I saw the hairdryer! My friend gave me a professional aqua stand-up beauty of the same vintage and my husband installed a lamp in the hood. We gave it to our son who at the tome,, loved in a mid-century bungalow. He eventaully passed it on to a friend. It made a great reading lamp behind a couch or beside a chair!

July 17, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Miri – Thank You!

July 18, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Maureen – Thanks for letting me know it can be successfully turned into a lamp!

16. Amy Reply

July 19, 2010 at 3:50 am

Love it – great buy!

17. Betty Reply

July 21, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Sara, My daughter and I were shopping at goodwill today and we found a hairdryer just like the one you have. We were so excited. She also was a little scared to plug it in, so I did and it worked. She plans to take hers to college with her. Do you know what it costs when it first came out?

July 21, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Betty – OMG! That is SO awesome!!! I LOVE my dryer, I know y’all will love yours just as much. I forgot to post back that we finally worked up the courage to plug mine in too and it works like a champ! They sure made these to last, I tell you! I tried to find any info I could on this dryer, but I had no luck. I imagine they sold them through the catalog. If anyone out there has ever seen this for sale in the Sears Catalog could you please let us know how much it sold for?

19. Pingback: Kool Kitsch For Sale on e-Bay | No Pattern Required

20. anna Reply

March 1, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Sara, I picked up a dryer just like yours and was doing a bit of research on it while trying to explain my electrically-savvy friend how i wanted to rewire it. but i just wanted to say that for a dollar you did extremely well. the only thing to note – and I stumbled upon it while taking the motor out of my dryer – there is a sealed glass (!) container with mercury mounted inside, right next to the motor. use caution.

good luck)

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 1, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Way to go on scoring a super FAB hair dryer Anna, I really love mine! And, thanks so much for the heads up on the mercury container….we will definitely use caution if we ever open it up!