Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage Crafty – Mosette Gravel Art Pamphlet

July 10, 2010

Vintage Crafty – Mosette Gravel Art Pamphlet

By RetroRuth

We went a little wild at the last Friends of the Library Book Sale. I couldn’t help it.  Tom couldn’t help it. They handed us a paper grocery bag and told us we could cram the thing full and it would only be $5.  $5!  That’s it.  So, we ran around like idiots and crammed it full until it was to the bursting point.  Luckily it didn’t burst until we got it to the trunk of the car, but burst it did.

But I digress.  I grabbed up a bunch of excellent vintage crafting and decorating books, which I plan to scan like crazy for all you lovely folks.  And when I cracked the first one open to begin the scanning, this lovely order form for crushed marble art kits literally fell out of it!

Of course, I realized I had to post it immediately because I was pretty sure I recognized Sara’s thrifted gravel art from this post. Sara!  The reason you can’t match missing gravel is because it is marble!!! Crazy, huh?

But I think that some of these designs need to be enlarged, copied and made into art right now.  Seriously.

In fact, I think I might die a little over the birdcage in this last scan.

What do you guys think?

6 Responses to Vintage Crafty – Mosette Gravel Art Pamphlet

1. Miss Marwood Reply

July 10, 2010 at 10:11 am

WOW. This is amazing… my grandma has a butterfly-picture on her kitchenwall made like this. I never knew about “gravel art”!
    Brings back fond memories!

…love the birdcage!!

2. Felicity Reply

July 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm

These pics are so awesome! I’m a huge fan of gravel art (and matching art). I’ll have to post pics of some of my gravel art on my blog soon.

3. Miri Reply

July 10, 2010 at 12:28 pm

I’d never seen this before but in the 5th grade our wonderful substitute art teacher (he was really a football player with the SF 49ers but then they didn’t make the money they do now, so he was a substitute teacher in the off season) had us go out and collect the fancy gravel/crushed stones from the school’s new garden and we made gravel art! Mine was a picture of a tulip and I can still picture it!

July 10, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Oh MY Gosh Ruth!!!!! This is the BEST! Thanks so much for posting this, I really do appreciate it. Marble chips – who wudda thunk it! I just tried looking up marble chips and it looks like someone in India has just what I need – wish they were a little closer because there is no chance I am going to India anytime soon. 🙂 I was kinda surprised to see the suggested price was $13.95 for the ones I have – that seems kinda high for the 50/60s don’t you think? But then again, I guess it is made out of mable! I do like the bird cage, I also really like that weird music note one too. Thanks again, it is really fun to see an original brochure of this stuff.

5. Sharon M. Reply

November 4, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Holy cow. I love gravel art. I have the Japanese Blossums picture: found it in a Salvation Army story. Have you tried making these yourself?

6. Emily Reply

April 3, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I love gravel art! I have two, one of which is the cat one in the flyer. Thanks for posting! It’s cool to know where it came from 🙂