Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Vintage Thrifted Linens!

July 8, 2010

Vintage Thrifted Linens!

By Sara In AZ

_________________________________________________________

Wait………. Hold the presses………….Before we start the post I HAVE to let y’all know there is a new blog up and running! Who, you ask? Well, it just happens to be the one, the only, the fabulous Eartha Kitsch. Click HERE for the link. She is having an awesome giveaway to kick things off. Here is what you can win.

So y’all head on over there and spread the blog love! And now, on with the post — if anyone is still with me. 🙂

I just love old linens. I have to hold myself back from getting tooooooooo many, otherwise my house would be overflowing with old linens. I especially love the old embroidered dish towels. Here are a few old linens I picked up recently at different thrift stores.

Here some are hanging on the clothesline after they have been washed. I promise, promise, promise I ironed all of these like a good girl after they were dry! 🙂

And now some close-ups.

I love this pink stripe table cloth with the old coffee pots and grinders!

Cute little embroidered hand towel.

I think this was a *kind of* baby blanket, but more of a sheet. I just loved it because it had rabbits on it. There were also initials embroidered in the bottom of this.

A super cute chenille baby blanket with a kitten on a train!

I love this old towel with the pink poodle on it!

This towel is a real hoot. Does anyone know what the “Little Brown Jug” is supposed to be? Maybe Moonshine???

And finally, an old Mammy type of laundry holder bag.

Does anyone else have a problem with buying to many old linens? Maybe we could start a support group! 😉

Hope y’all enjoyed!

11 Responses to Vintage Thrifted Linens!

July 8, 2010 at 8:52 am

Thanks, Sara! 🙂

Yes, everyone please come over and say hello and enter the contest! (after you’re finished enjoying the posts over here, of course…No Pattern Required rocks my world as well!)

What amazing linens! I can’t believe that those came from thrift stores. The thrift stores here have mostly used beach towels (and we don’t even live near the beach).

There is something so satisfying about bringing old linens home and cleaning them, isn’t there? I can’t get over that knitting poodle…and that laundry lady…and my word, how often does one see a cute kitten on a train?? Not nearly enough, if you ask me! 🙂

The little brown jug usually does refer to alcohol of some kind. One of the lyrics to the song is:

“And when I die don’t bury me at all,
    Just pickle my bones in alcohol;
    Put a bottle o’ booze at my head and feet
    And then I know that I will keep.”

Coincidentally, I wrote that exact same thing in my will. Boy, will my family be surprised! Just think of the money that they will save! 🙂

Thanks for linking to me, Sara. Y’all have a great day!

2. Annie B. Reply

July 8, 2010 at 10:01 am

Where do I sign up for the vintage linen hoarders support group??
    Actually, I don’t want to be “cured”…..I adore ’em.

Sara, these are fabulous! What a haul; I’m pea green with envy!
    Glad to know that you share my addiction. I’ve pared my collection almost to the bone, but have a few embroidered items left which could use a new home. If you’ll e-mail me your mailing address, I’ll pop some into the mail.

Thanks, also, for sharing the good news on Eartha’s blog!

3. Dr. Julie-Ann Reply

July 8, 2010 at 11:36 am

Oh-my-oh-my-oh-my-o! I am TOTALLY jealous! I LOVE vintage linens but my primary source–the PCC Flea Market–always seems to be out of my budget range (which I purposely keep low). It was much easier to indulge my love for them when I lived in the Midwest, that’s for sure!

July 8, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Those are gorgeous finds! I never find anything that nice around these parts, it seems.

I am wagering that the “Little Brown Jug” is definitely moonshine – based on how happy the people with the jug seem to be, LOL

July 8, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You hang out a nice looking laundry, girl, LOL!

No, one cannot have too many vintage linens IMHO. I really liked the Mexican towel with all the bright colors.

July 8, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Eartha – Love your new blog girl, and it is so nice to have you back! Hmmmmmm, used beach towels do not sound too appealing. 🙂 I totally agree about the cleaning and washing of old linens, it’s like cathartic or something! Ya know, I think I need to write that verse in my will too – that is perfect! These are the words written at the top of my towel: Ha, Ha, Ha, You and Me, Little Brown Jug, Don’t I Love Thee. Yep – has to be moonshine! 😉

Annie B. – Girl you are toooooo funny – let me know if you ever find a vintage linen hoarders support group, I will be signing up right after you! 🙂 I really do have to be careful or my house would probably be bursting at the seams! Can you send me an e-mail at sara@nopatternrequired.com about your linens.

Dr. Julie-Ann – We were going to go to PCC this past weekend but we could not make it with the holiday and everything. I should have you watch for old ceramic mermaids and fish for me at PCC and I will watch for linens here for you! It seems like I am ALWAYS passing linens up around here because I do not have a lot of room. I’ll bet the Midwest had MUCH better prices!

Andrea – The people on the towel do seem to be awfully happy don’t they! Glad you like them. Stick with the hunt – you never know what you will find in thrift stores!

Sableeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the compliment on my laundry. 😉 I do love hanging stuff out on my clothesline, and it seems like the stuff dries in about 2 seconds here because it is so hot and dry! I thought the Mexican guy was really cute too.

July 9, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Sara! I love your stuff! You have my props for passing up vintage linens. I can never seem to pass them up. I have two cabinets full in my laundry room right now. I even buy the old, stained holey ones and put them in a “future crafting” pile. Like I ever have time to make anything!

Oh, and I also love the mexican guy! Ole!

8. Annie B. Reply

July 9, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Saraaaaaaaaa,

I have some goodies for you!

Ruth,

Great idea about future crafting projects! I’ll bet I could incorporate unusable linens into vintage collages somehow.
    Thanks for the idea.

July 9, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Ruth – It is really hard to pass them up sometimes – I have to force myself! 🙂 And yes, we need to see you make a craft girl! But yeah – where is the time?

Annie B. – Thanks!!!! 🙂

10. Miri Reply

July 10, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Fabulous vintage linens! The baby summer spread and the baby chenille spread are just precious (actually the baby chenille spread is something of a rarity). The laundry lady looks crayon colored…is she?

July 10, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Miri – Thanks for the comment! I did not know the baby sheet was called a summer spread, and I did not know the baby chenille was rare either. Thanks for the info! I am not really sure how the laundry lady got her color. I washed it and ironed it and all the color totally stayed, it did not fade at all. Would crayon have stayed on during washing???