Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » We’re Goin’ Hoppin’

July 6, 2010

We’re Goin’ Hoppin’

By Sablemable aka Jan

Whenever teenagers ( like me)  in the mid to late Sixties wanted to learn how to do the Cool Jerk and  the Watusi,  we watched shows like Hullabaloo,

Shindig

and Where The Action Is.

But the best teen program to watch and learn the latest dance steps was American Bandstand.

A-B began as a local program in Philadelphia, broadcast  from the WFIL-TV station downtown.  Dick Clark, America’s oldest teenager, took command of the program in 1956 and in the mid-Sixties, the show moved to Los Angeles.

In the beginning

From lanolin to the dry look two decades later.

Where it all started: the WFIL-TV station in Philadelphia.

The kids danced and we copied them.

There was always the American Bandstand Top 10,

And the Rate-A-Record (I’ll give it a 75; it’s got a good beat and it’s easy to dance to).

From Chuck Berry to Madonna, to the Spotlight Dance and Dance Contests, we listened to the music and tried our best to dance to the beat.  Those were great times!

What do you remember about American Bandstand and other teen shows?

7 Responses to We’re Goin’ Hoppin’

1. Annie B. Reply

July 6, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Wow, Sableeeeeee! Thanks for the memories. I’d forgotten about “Where the Action is”……..Paul Revere and the Raiders, remember? As a child, I had a crush on Fang!

2. Miri Reply

July 6, 2010 at 2:16 pm

I loved American Bandstand…my sister, Mom and I would watch- Mom always did her ironing and I think she knew the “kids” as well as we did. The only one whose name I remember is Franny! 🙂 You described Rate the Record perfectly.

My sister and I actually got to go to the Dick Clark Saturday Night Show which was in NYC. We saw Frankie Avalon and Jerry Lee Lewis-I can still see Jerry Lee standing up and banging on those piano keys! This must have been in the early 60s-pre Beetles.

I really can’t forgive my husband-he grew up in Philadelphia and never went to American Bandstand!!

July 6, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Annieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! My crush was on Mark Lindsay. Luved the ponytail!

Miri! I know about the Saturday Night Show, but don’t remember actually watching it as I was probably too little yet. LOL! Jerry Lee Lewis was a great act! I know he used to have leopard lapels on his jackets! Probably scared the parents to death, jumping around, banging the keys with those lapels! If you and I would have been able to dance on Bandstand back in Philly, we would have done it in a heartbeat (good beat, easy to dance to)!

July 6, 2010 at 7:01 pm

I totally remember Bandstand! I watched it in the 70s and 80s – seemed like it would go on forever, but I guess MTV took over. I do not remember the other shows, but they sound awesome!

July 6, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That’s because the other shows only lasted about 1-2 years. Funny thing though, Where The Action Is was a Dick Clark Production. Go figure!

I watched A-B until I got married as I didn’t need to learn new dance steps to impress the guys, LOL!

6. Heather Reply

July 7, 2010 at 7:39 am

What I remember about this show is that it signaled the end of the Saturday morning cartoons; when you saw it starting-up, it was time to shut off the TV. As a kid in the ’70’s, I never forgave it for that!

7. Kelly Reply

July 7, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Oh wow…I mainly remember that since I was a poor kid in a tiny Southern town, I would sit in front of the TV and marvel at how cool the kids looked – amazing outfits and perfect hair and dance moves. They might as well have been from the moon as far as I was concerned – they were THAT different from folks where I was. We didn’t have MTV for most of my years so it was really special to see American Bandstand come on. I also had a Dick Clark crush.