Home » Decorating & Home » Mid-Century Decorating » Bathroom » 1952 Crane Bathroom Fixtures

August 31, 2010

1952 Crane Bathroom Fixtures

By Sablemable aka Jan

Who can say anything bad about MCM bathroom fixtures?  All those brightly colored fixtures with matching or coordinating ceramic tiled walls that makes our MCM  homes so special.

Crane has been around for about 160 years and has acquired American Standard and Eljer.   Here are some of their classic fixtures from 1952.

First off, the color chart.   Starting on the left and going down the columns are Pale Jade; Citrus Yellow; Persian Red; Shell Pink; India Ivory; Sun Tan; French Gray and Sky Blue.

Our favorite sink from the Criterion Group.

The Diana Group in Pale Jade.

Now I know this blog has the most intelligent readers and would know what that little green sink attached to the wall was for, but I, your trusty composer is not that smart.  I thought it was a child’s sink.  Wrong!!!!!  It’s Crane’s oral hygiene lavatory from their Drexel Group!  There’s not a lot of information about these dental lavatories, however, at www.vintageplumbing.com, a customer asked the what and what for of these sinks.  It was believed that one should not brush one’s teeth in the same basin where one washes one’s hands, thus, the dental lavatory was born.  According to Vintage Plumbing, these sinks were seen mostly in homes of the well-to-do.  I adore them!

Who has original Crane or other companies’ fixtures in their homes?  If you have photos, send them to me and I’ll do a follow-up post!

7 Responses to 1952 Crane Bathroom Fixtures

1. Barbara Reply

August 31, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Technically, it’s to show you the different sized sinks, but all of my old magazines show a separate sink for kids to brush their teeth, get a glass of water, etc., as being very popular then.

August 31, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Actually Barbara, Jan is right. It is a dental sink, believe it or not. I am running a post in a few weeks of a vintage Crane catalog and it says right there “Drexel Dental Lavatory” with a pic of the exact same sink!

August 31, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Yes, the Crane catalog from whence I garnered these pictures, show the Drexel dental lavatory. Wouldn’t one in Shell Pink look great in an MCM bathroom?

4. Kelly Reply

August 31, 2010 at 8:52 pm

All of those illustrations are just SO swanky. I’d love to have any of them – and even one of those dental sinks even though it would be double the sinks to clean!

We have original fixtures in our house but they are American Standard.

5. Barbara Reply

August 31, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Well, I did say a separate sink to brush your teeth at!! 🙂

6. Annie B. Reply

September 1, 2010 at 9:33 am

Love the Jade Green color! Reminds me of Palmolive soap!

7. Sheila butler Reply

November 1, 2014 at 10:36 pm

My 1968 ranch has a mother I law suite with a sort of lemon colored tub, toilet and sink. It’s like new. I would like to replace the sink only. Where can I find these fixtures? They say American Standard, but I am sure it is the crane citrus yellow