Home » Decade » 1950 » Super Secret Project – The FINAL Reveal!

August 19, 2010

Super Secret Project – The FINAL Reveal!

By Sara In AZ

_________________________________________________________

So I am sure y’all have just been on the edge of your seats wondering, “Which fabric did Sara choose?”

Was it the wool boucle? No.

Was it the ice blue one? No.

Was it this Chartreuse one? No.

It WAS this chartreuse fabric that I picked for the one armed couch and the little bandido! The last one on the list. I know a lot of y’all liked the above chartreuse better, but the scanned picture below does not really convey the texture of my fabric very well.  So read on and see why I picked this fabric – and you can also see better pictures of the texture below too!

I really could not find anything in a teal color that had the texture I was looking for. So, I went for the chartreuse green color. I really liked the wool boucle fabric, but the color was all wrong for me. I guess I wanted a color that was a bit more out there – if you know what I mean. I was going back and forth between the 2 chartreuse fabrics, but I finally settled on the last one because it actually had a bit more texture and it was a much heavier weight upholstery fabric, so I thought it would hold up a lot better over time.

I tried in vain to find my fabric listed somewhere on the web so I could give y’all a link, but no such luck. It is made by a company called Marcovaldo. The pattern is ‘Madrid’ and the color is ‘Fig’. The fabric is a Viscose/Poly/Cotton blend. The fabric was $16.50 a yard from Mesa Sales, so I was happy with that price. It was A LOT better than $60 a yard anyway.

I was kind of worried that I would not like my fabric after I ordered it. I mean, I only saw a little  square of it in the sample book. I was worried the big bolt of fabric would look different somehow, or the color would be off. But not to worry, when the fabric arrived I liked even more! Whew!!!

So I rang up Austen, the wonder upholsterer, and he said “Bring them on over!” A few weeks later here is what I had.

Wait a minute! Do y’all know I have not had one victim, err, client for my lovely turquoise hair dryer yet!

Y’all aren’t scared, are you? Look at the lovely couch you could be sitting on while getting your hair done!

How will Sara’s Hair*A*Rama ever stay in business? 🙂

Here is the little Bandido!

Here are some pictures with the flash off so you can get a better idea of the detail. Though the true color is more like the pictures above with the flash on – more chartreuse, not light green at all.

I told Austen I wanted these couches done EXACTLY the same way as they were before – all the cording, all the buttons, all the channels of the back – everything. I think he did a really great job! He even added some cording on the back, that was not there before, just to make it look a bit more polished! Thanks Austen!

Here are some close up pictures of the texture.

These were also with the flash off.

One other thing I did was sand down all the little legs to the natural color and spray them with a wood lacquer. For some weird reason all of the legs were different colors. Some were natural maple, some were reddish stained, and some were brown stained. Hmmmmm???  I thought leaving them the natural color was the easiest thing.

So, that is it! What do y’all think?

Oh no, George has already found the couches! At least she doesn’t have claws – whew!

She is winking at y’all. *Wink*Wink* 🙂

Please remember to vote for Eartha Kitsch in the Kozy Shack Contest! Please spread the word if you can, we need to get Eartha’s votes up! Click HERE for the link. Thanks y’all!

15 Responses to Super Secret Project – The FINAL Reveal!

1. Deb Reply

August 19, 2010 at 7:17 am

Sara, it looks gorgeous!

2. Eartha Reply

August 19, 2010 at 7:42 am

Thanks, Miss Sara! Your couch looks glorious! I think that you made the right decision on the fabric and on redoing those legs. It’s so cool that you have a great upholsterer at the ready. He does a great job. Here’s to many happy decades on your lovely new couch! (Keep an eye on George though..)

3. Magnarama Reply

August 19, 2010 at 7:52 am

Sara, if you are ever found murdered in your home with just dust bunnies where your couches used to be, I will be the obvious suspect. Those couches are SPECTACULAR and I couldn’t be more jealous. And your upholsterer did an awesome job!

That color is so perfect on those gorgeous lines.

One question: did your upholsterer have to use any additional padding on the frames, or is that all original padding?

4. Annie B. Reply

August 19, 2010 at 8:59 am

Lordy! I need CPR. My heart just turned cartwheels! Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! You could NOT have done better. These are knockouts! Austen is a genius. Green is actually my favorite color and this shade is awesome! Just delicious! I, too, am jealous!

August 19, 2010 at 9:34 am

Sara, I LOVE the end result. Austen is stuper-talented, and that fabric you picked looks gorgeous. Great job! You have the BEST retro taste. 🙂

6. Barbara Reply

August 19, 2010 at 10:30 am

I am so, so jealous that you have Austin. I swear, I’m packing up the sofa and staying with you until it’s done!!

Your sofa is GORGEOUS!

7. Uncle Atom Reply

August 19, 2010 at 10:49 am

Great work by the upholsterer and the genius behind the whole secret project! Love the results, and thanks for the sleuthing on materials.

August 19, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Deb – Thanks so much! 🙂

Miss Eartha – Thanks sweetie! I really do love the new couches. And, would you believe I found George on the couches again today! 🙂

Magnarama – Thank you, I really appreciate it! I do have to say Austen really knows what he is doing with upholstery. He told me, when we dropped the couches off, that he would check out everything on the old frame and padding to see if anything needed replacing and or repair. He did not have to change any of the old padding, but he did put in additional padding. He said padding just gets really compressed over the years so he wanted to add in some extra! *Checking to see if doors are locked now* 🙂

Annie B. – CPR coming your way girl! Thank you! That green color is one of my most favorite colors too. I’m glad I finally found a fabric that I liked!

Ruth – Thanks Hon! I really do appreciate it. If I ever find another Bandido I will be sure to let you know! 🙂

Barbara – Oh, thanks so much girl! We need to get you and Austen hooked up!

Uncle Atom – Thank you, I really appreciate it! Sorry I could not find any Frieze for you (or me), but I still really love the couches anyway!

August 19, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Gorgeous! I don’t think those couches could have come out any better! The chartreuse picks up the chartreuse nicely in your curtains as well. Good choice of fabric and kudos to your upholsterer!

August 19, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Oh, Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!! That is so MCM beautiful that I’m sobbing for joy!

Now for some pastel pink tufted throw pillows……..

August 19, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Andrea – Thank you so much! You know, I thought the green in those barkcloth curtains matched well too!

Sableeeeeeee!!!!!!! – *Handing Tissues* 🙂 Thank you! Yes, now I need just the right pillows!

12. Dr. Julie-Ann Reply

August 21, 2010 at 11:08 am

Late to the party but wanted to throw in my “Wowzer!” at how terrific the couch looks! I’m chartreuse with envy!

August 21, 2010 at 11:53 am

Thanks Dr.Julie-Ann! 🙂

14. Starla Reply

August 22, 2010 at 11:45 pm

I love the finished product! I really need to get off my duff and get a vintage chair of mine reupholstered. I’m going to have to go check out the Mesa Sales store you mentioned earlier and then find a reputable reupholstery place. Hopefully my chair will look as awesome as your chair and sofa/love seat. Trust me when I say I’m totally jealous. lol

August 23, 2010 at 10:55 am

Starla – Thank you so much! Definitely check out Mesa Sales for fabric, but leave yourself A LOT of time to see everything! Send me an email if you want the info for my upholstery guy he is the best -sara@nopatternrequired.com.