Home » Decade » 1950 » Thrifted Vintage Clothes!

August 5, 2010

Thrifted Vintage Clothes!

By Sara In AZ

_________________________________________________

Sooooo, one of my huge obsessions is vintage clothing. I love it. I have loved vintage clothing ever since I was in High School. I remember I would watch all the black & white shows back then and want to dress exactly like the women on them. I really loved Laura Petrie from the Dick Van Dyke Show. And Donna Reed too!  I was always particularly obsessed with the super full skirts with the petticoats – I just am soooo in love with that look. My only problem is finding vintage that fits me! It seems like all the women back then were sooooo tiny! But, I still love it all anyway.

I was out thrifting last week and came across a few interesting items I wanted to share with y’all.

First up is a cute little aqua blue shirt dress/day dress.

I soooo wish I had a mannequin to put this on so I could show you how pretty the full skirt is.

Here is a close up picture of the pleats at the waist.

The dress has a nice detail down the front where the buttons are, and also some cool button closures.

Here is the tag. Looks like it is ‘Avalon Classics’ – I think!

Next up, and gorgeous taffeta flocked glitter skirt. I love this skirt sooooooooo much but it is teeny-tiny. I had to buy it anyway!

I almost hate touching this skirt for fear the glitter will all fall off.

Here is a close up of the flocked glitter areas.

There was no tag in this skirt. It is possible it was homemade, but I did not really think so. Maybe the tag fell off?

Lastly, this super cute maternity top. I am not pregnant, but I just thought this was the most darling top. I cannot remember ever, in all my years of shopping vintage, coming across any maternity  clothes. I wonder if they are hard to find?

The shirt has all these little pleats down the front and back. Here are the pleats down the front.

And here are the pleats down the back. Just darling!

The buttons are so cute, they each have a rhinestone in the middle.

The tag is the best! Stork – A – Lure Maternities! Love it!

So that’ it y’all! What do y’all think? Did I find some treasures?

Please remember to vote for Eartha Kitsch in the Kozy Shack Contest! Please spread the word if you can, we need to get Eartha’s votes up! Click HERE for the link. Thanks y’all!

12 Responses to Thrifted Vintage Clothes!

1. Kelly Reply

August 5, 2010 at 6:54 am

Thanks Miss Sara! 🙂

Those are some beautiful pieces. I’d have to wear that last blouse whether it was maternity or not – the edging details and tied neck are SO cute!

August 5, 2010 at 10:24 am

Love that spangley skirt, and the tag on that maternity top is almost as precious at the top itself! Love them all!

August 5, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!! LOL@buying it anyway!!!!!!!!

Love the maternity top. Wish the women-in-waiting would wear clothing like this instead of belly shirts (no pun intended).

August 5, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Miss Kelly – Thanks! 🙂 I love that blouse too. Do ya know I tried on that top and the arm holes are teeny-tiny! Did women eat back then?????

Ruth – Thanks girl! I thought the same thing about that tag – Love it! 🙂

Sable – Yes, must buy it all anyway! 😉 I totally agree about the maternity fashions of today, I do not like the belly shirts either!

August 5, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Cute finds! I would say that vintage maternity is hard to find – since I am pregnant now, I have looked, and I haven’t come up with anything. Vintage clothing tends to be hit or miss in the town that I live in, anyway, but maternity has DEFINITELY been slim pickings.

August 5, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Andrea – Yeah, I kinda thought it was a rare find – the vintage maternity top. Maybe women back then didn’t want to spend the extra $$$ on maternity, so they just wore their regular clothes?

August 5, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Sara – hmmm, when you think about the styles of the time (or at least when I am guessing that maternity top to be from), they were so fitted, not much room for a pregnancy, LOL. I am guessing that either A) women had more kids back then, so they just hung on to the clothes for subsequent pregnancies, and wore them until they wore out or B) in a similar vein, maybe they passed on their mat clothes to pregnant friends who also wore them until they wore out?

I can understand the not wanting to spend money on maternity clothes part, it’s something I’ve tried to avoid myself!

August 6, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Andrea – Yeah, you are totally right about the fitted thing. Everything I have is *VERY* tight on the top with a full skirt. Definitely no room for a pregnancy there! I know sewing your own clothes was a lot more prevalent back then. Perhaps women made most of their maternity clothes, and then passed them on when they were done with them, as you said.

9. Miri Reply

August 7, 2010 at 4:55 am

Oh I just love that maternity top! When I was pregnant with my first my friend had a vintage maternity top and she lent it me for the duration…I felt like Lucy every time I wore it!

August 7, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Miri – This top totally remids me of Lucy too!!!

11. Laura Altmann Reply

October 8, 2016 at 5:50 am

Looking for “Laura Petrie ” pants. Not skinny jeans , or type of ankle pant , but the soft ankle length “cigarette pant that was actually exactly like hers. Same material same type pattern. Does anyone know where to find them.?