Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Won’t You Be My Neighbor?

August 29, 2010

Won’t You Be My Neighbor?

By Sablemable aka Jan

Nothing new in MCM homes for sale here in my area of Michigan, soooo, I paddled my canoe (the poor man’s yacht) across Lake Michigan to the Chicagoland area for a look-see.

At 108 Howe Terrace in Barrington, Illinois, is a 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom MCM home built in 1954.  There is 2,334 square feet of living space, a walk-out basement and 2 car attached garage.  Everything looks pretty original, except someone talked the owner(s) into replacing the entry doors.  RE/MAX of Barrington is the broker and has it listed for $398,500.00.  Photos are courtesy of Keller-Williams (www.kw.com).

The only drawback I see with this house is the flat roof, which in freezing cold temperatures can be a problem, but I still love the house!

What was my favorite original piece from the home?  The door chimes in the foyer!

7 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor?

August 29, 2010 at 12:31 pm

I don’t know, Sable, I looooooooooove flat roof houses! There’s actually quite a few of them in the town that I live in, and I am up in super cold Alberta, Canada.

I am loving the fireplace, and the green bathroom as well. You don’t see too many green ones!

2. Lisa Reply

August 29, 2010 at 12:57 pm

The mint green bathroom, love it. LOVE IT. And what a neat idea to have seating built around that support post in the basement, it reminds me of one they’d have in a skating rink or something. I’d be their neighbor!

August 29, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Andreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! Oh, I adore flat roof homes, too, and there are a few homes here in my neighborhood that have flat roofs. Yes, that green sink is a winner!

Lisaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! LOL, didn’t think about the seating around the beam looking like those in a rink, but you’re right!

4. Kelly Reply

August 29, 2010 at 4:56 pm

You have the most killer cool houses up there!

That green sink is tugging at my heart strings especially.

August 29, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Totally great house Sable!!! That garage door is way cool too! Love it all girl!

August 29, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Kelly! I have the same green colored ceramic tiles on my bathroom wall. That particular shade of green is very pretty.

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! I can picture your pink kitchen cabs in that kitchen.

Would anybody do a different paint color on the outside?

August 29, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Oh yeah I would do a different paint color! You gotta kitsch that house up a notch. 🙂