Home » Decade » 1960 » Mad Men Clock!!!!!!

September 2, 2010

Mad Men Clock!!!!!!

By Sara In AZ

Who amongst us caught the Mad Men episode “The Rejected”  on August 15th or “The Chrysanthemum and the Sword” on August 22? Well, I did and I was floored by what I saw! My Sunbeam clock! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Here is a picture from “The Chrysanthemum and the Sword” and it shows the clock right between Peggy and Joan.

Picture from video clip on http://www.amctv.com/originals/madmen/

I bought this clock a few years ago at an Estate sale, and it is the same clock Joan has in her office!!!

Totally bizarre!

Here is a close up of the hands, I think they are so cool.

This clock is really interesting because you can hang it vertically or horizontally. Here are the instructions on the back.

Here is a close up of the Sunbeam label.

And, finally, here is the clock hanging in it’s natural habitat – on the wall above my one armed couch!

Please remember to vote for Eartha Kitsch in the Kozy Shack Contest! Please spread the word if you can, we need to get Eartha’s votes up! Click HERE for the link. Thanks y’all!

16 Responses to Mad Men Clock!!!!!!

1. Annie B. Reply

September 2, 2010 at 9:15 am

I got so excited over your clock’s appearing on Mad Men that I deleted my first comment by accident! Now that’s excited!

That’s one glorious clock, girl. Would love more photos of your house. Looks like you have some super cool stuff!!

2. Kelly Reply

September 2, 2010 at 9:39 am

Thanks girl! 🙂

I love, love, love your clock and I love it even more than that now that I know that Joan has one too. 🙂 It’s gorgeous!

p.s. I also love your lamp! Pull-down?

September 2, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Annie B.- Oh, that is too funny that you deleted your comment! 🙂 Thanks so much for the compliment! I promise, more pics to come.

Miss Kelly – No prob. girl 🙂 Thanks, too, for the compliment. We love Joan! 🙂
    The lamp IS a pull down! I did a post on it a while back. Here is the link http://www.nopatternrequired.com/?p=4696#comments

September 3, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! We love our clocks and pull-down lights, eh?

Great post!

5. Pingback: My Retro Mid-Century 1950s and 1960s Starburst, Teak and Brass Clocks! | No Pattern Required

6. Lisa Reply

January 14, 2012 at 12:59 am

Hello Sara,

Pleased to meet you! It is exciting to learn that someone else other than Mad Men set designers have one of these fantastic clocks. My mom used to work at A&P grocery store when she was a senior in high school (1964). A&P handed out S&H Green Stamps during checkout and with the accumulated stamps you could purchase merchandise from their catalog. The stamps were worth different points and the amount you received at checkout was dependent upon the total amount of your purchase. The clock is the first thing my Mom purchased for herself for her future home. 🙂

Are you aware of the history of your clock?

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 14, 2012 at 2:37 am

Hi Lisa! Thanks so much for the comment! I have to say that is SO completely awesome that your Mom got this clock from the Green Stamp catalog! I lived in a small town in Tennessee in the early 70s and I too remember the Green Stamps, I was completely fascinated by them. Sadly, we never got anything as cool as this clock – or if we did I sure don’t remember it! 😉

I got my clock from an estate sale probably 5 or 6 years ago. It was kind of before mid century was so popular. We were there on the last day of the sale and everything was half off. No one wanted the clock, but I was smitten with it. I took it right off of the kitchen wall, where I suspect it had hung for quite some time. We took it home for around $10.

• Lisa Reply

January 14, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Wow, Sara, it’s great that you scored the clock for $10! Who knows what its fate would have been had you not taken it home with you.

During a remodel of my parent’s dining room about 20 years ago, my Mom decided that she wanted a fresher looking clock to replace the Sunbeam. She is notorious for simply throwing unwanted items away so I made it abundantly clear that she had better not toss that clock in a garbage can! The clock is part of most every memory of my childhood. Well, you know what I mean; the clock is like family.

Happily, the clock has hung in the various apartments I’ve rented and now hung in my home. Although the original motor stopped working and has been replaced, I made sure that those wonderful hands remained intact.

Thank you, Ruth!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 14, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Lisa – I do wonder what would have happened to the clock had I not bought it? Perhaps a Goodwill donation??? I think a lot of estate sale sellers around here donate what does not sell. Sad to think that though.

Thank God your Mom listened to you and saved that clock for you!!! I cannot imagine it just being tossed into the garbage. *shudders* And I completely know what you mean about that clock being like family. I feel the exact same way about some of my things.

The motor on my clock is still the original one. It was not working very well right after we got it and then there was some battery corrosion that needed to be cleaned out; but my Mr who is a fix-it whiz finally got it up and running like a champ!

Thanks again for the comments and please stop by again! 🙂

• RetroRuth Reply

January 14, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Excellent story, Lisa! What a fantastic piece with a fantastic history!

7. Nicole Reply

April 22, 2013 at 12:16 am

Ahhh! I have the same clock too! Mine was a “gift” from my basement – a place I moved into with lots of vintage things hanging around.

I had to replace the timepiece on mine, but you can see mine hanging vertically behind me on this blog post: http://www.manicpopthrilled.blogspot.com/2013/03/fun-in-sunrise-panel-top.html

What a cool clock to have!

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 22, 2013 at 10:02 am

Very, very cool Nicole…..and how lucky you were to have received yours for free!

8. Pingback: It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World | No Pattern Required

9. Daniel Reply

September 26, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Sara, I was a little late in catching up on Mad Men, so I didn’t see the clock episode until this last winter. When I did see it, I nearly jumped off of my couch! We had this clock on our living room wall for as long as I can remember. I don’t know the circumstances of the purchase and my mom doesn’t remember. My parents hung it vertically, however, it does look better in the horizontal position. After I saw the clock on Mad Men I quizzed my siblings about it and none of them remembered it and I was sure that it had been destroyed by us kids. In fact I had a memory of the hands being bent or broken.

This last Spring my brother was going through belongings in the house to prepare for a rummage sale and he found the clock! It was in very good condition and luckily my memory was false, since the hands were perfectly intact!

Thanks for showing the instructions label. It doesn’t exist on our clock. Like your clock, the battery housing needs some clean up, but everything else appears to be in working order.

Who knew my parents had such good taste in clocks!

10. Sara In AZ Reply

September 26, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Daniel! What a lucky find!!! That is SO awesome that you still had the clock after all…it was just waiting all these years for you to uncover it! And wow yeah – your parents had GREAT taste in clocks!

11. Richard Moll Reply

June 16, 2015 at 9:24 pm

We bought that clock at a barn antique shop 3 days before the Mad Men episode aired. $20.00 (Canadian!).