Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » MCM Home Improvement: Should I Paint This Bookcase?

September 24, 2010

MCM Home Improvement: Should I Paint This Bookcase?

By Sablemable aka Jan

I have this built-in bookcase in my living room and I’m wondering if I should paint the inside walls of it, i.e., yellow walls/sides, white shelves.

I plan on keeping the living room walls white; my carpeting is a mocha brown shade.  When I find my perfect furniture, it will be in a mathcing mocha brown.  Then I plan to use bright accent colors such as mint green, coral pink, lemon yellow, et al.

More info:  the bookcase is the divider to the front door foyer and living room.  You can see the carpet color, along with the baseboards in the original finish.  The trim/baseboards are going to be refinished and I’m leaning towards the blonde wood look.

Any recommendations, readers?

7 Responses to MCM Home Improvement: Should I Paint This Bookcase?

1. Annie B. Reply

September 24, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Noooo. Leave it white and let books, ceramics, glass, etc. provide your color. I have a similar white book case under a double window in my living room. The white looks bland all by itself, but it’s fun to be able to change the color schemes of the pieces on it. Right now, it’s adorned with atomic orange ceramics, books, and an old Grundig radio!

2. Lorie B Reply

September 24, 2010 at 2:08 pm

You could always paint it, live with it for a while and see. If you don’t like it, you can always paint it white again.

3. Anonymous Reply

September 25, 2010 at 2:58 am

I like the idea, a primrose kind of yellow rather than a sunflower one would look really pretty! Love the bookcase!
    Then again, Annie B does have a point with the objects you put on. If you use it for books rather than glass, then I would paint it.

September 26, 2010 at 5:05 pm

LOL, thanks Annieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and Lorieeeeeeeeeeee!! I’ll try both and at the same time!

Thought about putting my 1966 World Book Encyclopedias there, but maybe not. Maybe Trixie Belden books?

5. Annie B. Reply

September 27, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Go for the Trixie Belden’s ……… lots of color!!!!

6. Chrissie Reply

June 17, 2011 at 8:27 am

I have a vintage china cabinet that I wanted to add some pop to but didnt want to paint the inside . So I measured the inside area , cut a panel of fabric and applied fusible webbing to the back to make it sturdy and popped it in . It provided the right amount of pop and accented my dishes perfectly . I’ve done up a few panels that I can now pop in and out with the seasons/ holidays .

• RetroRuth Reply

June 17, 2011 at 8:42 am

That is a great idea, Chrissie!!!!