Home » Decorating & Home » Mid-Century Decorating » Basement » New Basement Floor – Red and Black Retro VCT Tile

September 6, 2010

New Basement Floor – Red and Black Retro VCT Tile

By RetroRuth

Finally!!  I know I have been promising to post pictures of the new basement floor for a while, and I have finally had time to sit down, edit photos and pick out some good ones.

Everyone will be happy to know that ALL of the nasty, gross carpeting is GONE from the basement. Huzzah! And it has been replaced with Armstrong VCT tile in red and black.

Let’s take a look, shall we???

Down the stairs aaaaaaaand….

Ta-Da!!!  What do you think? Too crazy?  We messed around with a lot of patterns and color combinations before coming up with this.  First, we decided on the pattern, which was inspired by Tom’s grandparent’s basement.

Here is Tom’s little sister playing shuffleboard in his grandparent’s house.

I know, I know, we really should have gotten the shuffleboard.

We then threw color ideas around, wanting to go with something that wouldn’t impact resale too much, and at the same time be the retro basement we longed for.

In the end, we just decided to bite the bullet, forget about resale and go with the red and black we really wanted.  And I think it ended up looking pretty good!  Next up, paint on the walls, and new Formica for the countertops.

The carpet was also pulled out of my sewing room, thank goodness!  I went with a nice neutral gray in this room.  It looks like of institutional now, but my accent color is going to be turquoise, and the walls will all be painted gray in the near future.  More pictures of this coming soon!

And here is Midnight enjoying the new floor!!! At first, the cats didn’t care for the new floor, one of them even refused to walk on the red squares and hopped from black to black across the floor.  But they have all settled in now, and love the coolness of the floor compared to the hot, sticky summer upstairs.

Did anyone else just finish a big summer project??? Let us know!

15 Responses to New Basement Floor – Red and Black Retro VCT Tile

1. Deb Reply

September 6, 2010 at 7:29 am

Looks stunning, and I’m SO glad you went with what YOU GUYS wanted!! If you sell, anyone who doesn’t want it doesn’t deserve it…

2. Sharon Reply

September 6, 2010 at 7:54 am

Love it! The pattern and colors are totally perfect for a fun and frolicksome basement!

3. Fiona - Notorious Kitsch Reply

September 6, 2010 at 8:41 am

wow I love it! We have to think about resale all the time as we don’t intend to stay here long term, it’s a real pain! Well done you for ignoring it :o)

4. Uncle Atom Reply

September 6, 2010 at 9:10 am

Looks great! How hard was it to do the stairs that way? Probably a lot of cutting there. Life is too short to worry constantly about potential resale value. Nice job.

5. Eartha Reply

September 6, 2010 at 10:30 am

Absolutely gorgeous! And I love that you let Tom’s grandparents’ floor inspire yours. That’s lovely. Your sewing room is going to be great too – it’s cool that you get that much space, all crisp and clean.

It’s so funny that the cats wouldn’t walk on the red squares!

I didn’t get to help due to allergies but the Mister finished a Summer project this weekend. When we moved in, we had this huge towering pile of limbs and bricks and concrete and who all knows what piled against our back fence. He’s been working on it for a full year, hauling it off. We had no idea that there was a pretty darned big patio under there! So, this weekend, he found our new surprise patio! 🙂

September 6, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Love, love, love it! I don’t think that could have turned out any better, wow!

7. Inky Reply

September 6, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Ruth it turned out marvelously!! i adore that it was inspired by Tom’s grandparent’s basement 🙂 we are pondering doing our bathroom floor with the Armstrong VCT Imperial Texture – is that what you used and was it a pretty straightforward project? Neither of us have done any flooring but we have painted and done some minor repairs so we’re game to try.

September 6, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Totally jealous Ruth! I LOVE that floor and I am crazy for your basement!!! 🙂 Hi Kitties!

September 6, 2010 at 7:29 pm

OMG! I absolutely love this color combination and pattern!

Great job, Ruuuuuuuuuuuth and Tom-Tom!

10. Maggie Reply

September 7, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I’m much better at shuffleboard now…. but it’s probably good you didn’t get one so that I don’t have to back that comment up….

11. Miss Marwood Reply

September 11, 2010 at 3:18 am

Absolutely stunning! I am very jealous! God, the size of that basement – you get neither basements (too damp here) nor any rooms that size in the UK. We are short of space here, compared to the US 🙂 The pattern is simply gorgeous!

12. thissideofgaudy Reply

September 11, 2010 at 9:15 pm

If you want to play shuffleboard, get some painters edging tape (they have some blue now that pulls off super easy) and put it down when you want. When the game is over, pull up the tape.

13. Anonymous Reply

October 18, 2012 at 11:02 pm

How did you buy these tiles when I go on the Armstrong website and try to order them it says you need to have a commercial business in order for you to process your order through the commercial site. Another question is what are the exact names of the colors of those red and black tiles?

14. Pingback: Neon Signs And Vintage Motels In North Platte, Nebraska | No Pattern Required

15. Pingback: What My Studio Looks Like: Then And Now | No Pattern Required