Home » Decade » 1950 » 1950s Patio Furniture

October 21, 2010

1950s Patio Furniture

By Sara In AZ

Mike and I were checking out a local Flea Market a few months back when we came across these cool patio chairs.

I thought they were so retro and funky looking, I immediately fell in love with the set.

We walked around for a while and debated buying the set, but ultimately decided to bring them home with us.

I must say that I have seen the round woven chair a bunch of times before, but I still thought it looked really cool.

But, I have never seen this version of the woven patio chair before.

Isn’t it cool how the woven sections make up funky triangles for the seat bottom!

How crazy and atomic looking is that?

Here is a top down view of the seat bottom.

The guy we bought them from said he got them at an Estate Sale in California about 25 years ago and, as far as he knew, the green cording was original to the set.

I really love our new patio furniture, and no worries y’all – I definitely will NOT leave this stuff out to bake in the hot AZ sun!

7 Responses to 1950s Patio Furniture

1. Annie B. Reply

October 21, 2010 at 9:34 am

Holy Cow! Sara, these are the coolest. I’d put them in my living room, for sure! You find the BEST vintage furniture out there in AZ.

I’ve found only one circle patio chair ever, probably because metal outdoor furniture does not last long here due to the salt air.

2. Eartha Reply

October 21, 2010 at 10:11 am

Girl, those are GORGEOUS! Probably the best patio furniture that I’ve ever seen even. I’m with Annie – if you have room, put those babies in your house.

October 21, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Are you kidding me???? That triangle chair is INSANE! I am beyond jealous right now. We should work on a trade. I’ll send you Midnight (the black kitty) and you can send me the chair. Deal?

October 21, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Annie B. – Thanks girl! Now, why haven’t we seen any pics of your circle chair yet???

Eartha – Thanks sweetie, I really do appreciate it! 🙂

Ruth – Oh god, should I even let Mike see this post? He will be in the car SOOOOOOO fast with those chairs, heading up to MI, it’ll make your head spin! 🙂 Maybe???

5. Annie B. Reply

October 21, 2010 at 3:13 pm

My circle chair comes with a free cat…Zelda, the 17 year old cross-eyed Manx cat.

Actually, the chair belongs to Zelda. She spent the summer in the chair on the deck waiting for someone to come along and peel her a grape. She fit it perfectly since she’s as round as a basketball.

She left a “Zelda circle” on the seat, too!

October 24, 2010 at 6:02 pm

OMG, Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! Whatever you paid for them was well worth it!

I need smelling salts!

7. Allan Reply

November 22, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I love the Jetsons style retro chair. I found them in Pasadena at a high end outdoor patio furniture store with an otoman. Down side was the price….about 400 for chair and.amother 150 fot the otoman. Too expensive for set of 2 but my favorite chair. These were reproductions as well.