Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » MCM Home Improvement: Danish Furniture

October 1, 2010

MCM Home Improvement: Danish Furniture

By Sablemable aka Jan

I know it’s way past beginning my New Year’s resolutions, but I’ve suddenly been empowered to start making decisions on colors, furniture, etc. for my MCM home.

Danish furniture is so MCM correct and furnishing my living room with it is one of the decisions I’ve made.  But finding the exact style of Danish furniture used back then either too expensive or non-existent.  I’ve searched Ebay and Metro Retro and frankly, with their prices, I could do without.   I once missed out on a set of vintage Danish, sans cushions, that was posted on Craigslist for 50 bucks, but I had no way of driving up to Kalamazoo.  Fudge.  Haven’t seen any more Danish listed since.

I did find one online store, www.urbanoutfitters.com that offers what they call Mid-Century Modern furnishings and decor and low and behold, here are some vintage-style Danish pieces.

The armless sofa comes in black fleck, charcoal and pistachio for the cost of  $480.00.

The loveseat comes in a choice of chartreuse and sky (blue) for $398.00.

The rocker is offered in a variety of colors; taupe, robins egg blue, carbon, lime, peridot and pinot.  The price tag is $288.00.

The armchair only comes in gray and is priced at $288.00.

Well, okay, nothing matches at Urban Outfitters, but then I remembered this catalog I’ve been receiving since the late Seventies.  Genada Imports out of Teaneck, New Jersey sells the vintage-style Danish furniture, brand spanking new.

Here are a few of the pieces they sell.

I haven’t learned yet how to magnify the images here, so I’ll have to fill in with text what you cannot see.  The fabric choices for the sofas come in a heavy tweed fabric in gold, toast, olive, blue, orange, black and red.  You can also have the cushions covered in a vinyl in tangerine, black, gold, blue and olive.  If you’d like something in an animal print, for a bit extra, there is leopard, zebra, tiger and ocelot fabrics.  Genada Imports will even go the extra mile and customize your cushions with fabric you send to them.  All of the details are included in their catalog.

The prices for the armless sofas, or divans, are from $189.95 to 199.95.  The sofas with arms range from $229.95 to 239.95.

You can also get replacement cushions and rubber strapping for chair bases at low costs.

Now the bummer:  there is no web site or telephone number for Genada Imports, only a POB address.  You may write to them at Dept. H-9, P.O. Box 204, Teaneck, New Jersey, 07666.  I have been receiving their catalogs every other year for over 30 years, so they still must be in business.  My last catalog was for the 2009 buying year.

Do any of you live in the Teaneck area and know if Genada’s is still operating?

11 Responses to MCM Home Improvement: Danish Furniture

1. Deb Reply

October 1, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Jeez…all those prices seem good to me!!

October 1, 2010 at 7:15 pm

This Genada Imports is blowing my mind! It’s almost like stepping back in time. I’ve just got to get on their mailing list. The Mister and I have often wondered about the quality and comfort of the Urban Outfitters pieces but they don’t carry them in the store here for us to test sit. I’d love to know if anyone has them.

October 1, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Hi, Deb! I know, very reasonable they are!

Hi, Eartha! Just write to GI and request a catalog. My only problem with Urban Outfitters is that you can’t get the pieces in the same color fabric, otherwise I’d buy their stuff pronto.

4. Brini Reply

October 2, 2010 at 12:48 am

I googled them and came up with a business profile. It looks like a very small company: http://www.manta.com/c/mmfz195/genada-imports-inc There is a phone number on the profile though… Good luck with them. They look like a great source for retro furniture!

October 2, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Hi, Brini!

Thank you for the information! I’ll give them a ring on Monday.

6. Cory Reply

October 7, 2010 at 11:19 pm

Any news on Genada imports? i tried the telephone number and it’s been disconnected?

7. Cory Reply

October 11, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I am also interested in Genada imports? Any news?

8. Larry W. Yother Reply

December 19, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I bought a Danish chair from them in 1973 and have replaced the cushions several times. Today I got in the mail their fabric sample card and plan to replace the cushions again. The chair is strong hardwood but the assembly is a bit loose and the chair fell apart a couple of times. However, if you don’t mind a little drill-and-screwdriver work with some hardware, you can easily fix these issues. They are shoestring-plus but seem to be honest. The collapse of the Soviet Union put a severe crimp in their supply line but they seem to be back.

• RetroRuth Reply

December 19, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Good to know, Larry! Thanks for the info!

9. Jennie Reply

September 3, 2015 at 8:35 pm

Hello! I came across your blog and was wondering whether anyone has ordered from Genada Imports recently? I wanted to know whether they are still in business and whether they ship to Hawaii? Thanks!

• Julie Williams Reply

August 19, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Did you ever get any responses to your inquiry? I, like others, used to receive the catalog. Now that I have the money and actually am interested in buying something, I can’t seem to find them. I tried a phone # I found on one of the links mentioned from previous posts, but it had been disconnected. Would love to see if they are really still in business and if they are….how to get hold of them!