Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » MCM Home Improvement: Snips And Snails And A Few Things From Etsy and Ebay

October 29, 2010

MCM Home Improvement: Snips And Snails And A Few Things From Etsy and Ebay

By Sablemable aka Jan

Finally, I’m beginning to move into my 1955 brick ranch and I’ve been digging through all the boxes of my stuff in the basement.  When I looked some of them over, I decided to share some photos of them with you.

The snips and snails are from MCM treasures that were in my 1958 ranch home basement (that I didn’t know was there), things my mother had, a desk that my late sister-in-law, Lois had and something from a thrift shop.  Here we go!

My copper finished wall kitchen clock, which I bought from Etsy.  This will go on the soffit above the kitchen sink.  There is a wall plug already there; all I have to wait for is Bob to shorten the cord, plug it in and hang it up (hook is there, too!).

From Ebay, a flying-saucer floor lamp, brass finished!

My mother had a set of these West Bend aluminum wheat design glasses and a pitcher, but that one had a wooden handle.  I can remember drinking iced cold lemonade from them during the summer.  The set of 8 glasses and pitcher, plus the tray were purchased from Ebay.  Excuse the glare, but even photographing them in the dark didn’t help much.

My late sister-in-law’s MCM desk that was purchased from Sears, mid-Fifties.  I forgot to snap a picture of the matching chair.

A table lamp my mother had.  The porcelain/ceramic base is kind of a rosy-terracotta, contrary to the photograph.

From my late mother-in-law, Violet, a cooky jar of a monk reminding us “Thou Shall Not Steal.”  I also have her yellow Sunbeam Mixmaster and yellow Sunbeam blender.  I think there are a few other things from her kitchen buried somewhere in the basement.

At one of the local thrift stores, I found a set of four dessert dishes.   They were $.99 a piece, but I didn’t care.   Mom had the same set, but unfortunately, only 2 survived, which I have.  Now they won’t be lonely any longer.  I promised them I would make lots of homemade chocolate pudding and eat it from them.  They were very happy.

Tell me about your MCM treasures, gang!

9 Responses to MCM Home Improvement: Snips And Snails And A Few Things From Etsy and Ebay

1. Lorie Reply

October 29, 2010 at 10:51 am

Jan, where do you go thrifting around here? I haven’t had much luck, other than the goodwill by the mall. And that isn’t exactly the best place to find stuff. As far as goodwill’s go, it is rather lean most of the time. I do like the goodwill on grape road.

I used to adore that shop on old 31 between St. Joe and Berrien Springs. But they are hardly ever open anymore. I would appreciate any suggestions you have.

Lorie

October 29, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Hi, Lorie!!!!!!!!

There’s Valueland, which usually has loads of MCM stuff and a large book collection. There’s also a place on M-139 next to the Country Kitchen, but I don’t remember the name of the store. There’s also a new thrift shop open in the mall area where Gordon’s Food Service is located. I believe it’s right next to the Subway. I never have any luck at Goodwill, but I go there on occasion.

Hope this helps!

October 29, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Aha!!!! I have seen the tray to that aluminum drink set everywhere, and I always wondered what it went to. That you for solving a riddle for me!!! 🙂

That desk is sweet, Jan. I love the drawer pulls.

I was thinking about you yesterday when I was at the Habitat for Humanity Restore here in town. They had a metal Hoosier type cabinet there with excellent drawer pulls, and someone had painted the entire thing the most vile green. I thought to myself, “If Jan were here, she would have a fit!” 🙂

October 29, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I have nearly identical dessert dishes, except mine are green glass!

5. Lorie Reply

October 29, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Thanks Jan. I have checked out that place on M-139. I haven’t had any luck so far. I forgot about Valueland. I will have to check that one out for sure. I didn’t even know there was one by Gordon’s. Tell’s you how oten I go over by there, HAHA. I LOATHE the BH Wal-Mart, so I always go to Michigan City. It is only about 5 more miles from out place so not a big deal.

I will keep my eye out for you when I am out thriftng. 😀

October 29, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Love, love, love that desk Sable!

October 29, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuth! LOL, you know me too well!

Andreaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Yes, those dessert dishes are built like a barn! I think if you threw one at somebody, it would damage the person instantly, yet the dish would stay intact, LOL!

Lorieeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! I haven’t been to the thrift store on Mall Drive yet; the one next to Country Kitchen had some wonderful stuff in there, but I didn’t buy that day and haven’t been back since.

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! My late mother-in-law took care of everything she owned, including the desk which Lois didn’t take with her when she married. Thanks, Mother!

8. Jayne Pleysier Reply

October 30, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Wow, you have picked up some really great items here for next to nothing! I love your clock and my Aunt has one of those Monk Cookie Jars as well (even though he is wearing a black robe) and seeing that picture has brought back some great memories!

9. Jamie in Hollywood Reply

October 30, 2010 at 4:44 pm

I love that desk! Fantastic! The clock is great and though it’s true Deco it can, like many things Deco fit in with mid century. I have just discovered Etsy and love their wares. The lighted numerals are so cool! I remember clocks used to have sweep hands. Sweep hands always remind me that time is flowing. Give me analog over digital any day. Congratulations on moving into your new home! I, too have discovered some great things on ebay. Love the flying saucer lamp. After growing up with Victoriana I’m happy to embrace the best from the 50’s and 60’s.