Home » Decade » 1950 » Retro Plant Stands

October 7, 2010

Retro Plant Stands

By Sara In AZ

_______________________________________________

Y’all know it how it is, you are cruising around E-Bay and all the sudden something that you were not even looking for pops up – but you are intrigued. I honestly can’t even remember what I was looking for when these retro plant stands came up. I for sure know I was not searching for ‘retro plant stands’ because I had not even really thought about the term before I came across these.

Well, I do know about the old wire plant stands, but I had never seen any like these before.

Weirdly, these are all from the United Kingdom. They must have had a HUGE thing for atomic plant stands in the UK in the 1950s, because they sure do have the most awesome plant stands I have ever seen.

This first plant stand comes to you from seller http://myworld.ebay.com/gilespug/

It measures approximately 2 feet high and 3 feet wide.

Here is a close up of the Formica on the bottom.

This plant stand is on a ‘Buy It Now’ for $541 American! Eeps! Too rich for my blood, but super cool to look at anyway.

All of the remaining plant stands come to you from seller http://myworld.ebay.com/sonic–youth/

This seller must have cornered the UK market on vintage plant stands, because it seems like they usually have one up for sale. Unfortunately, all of the following plant stands are already sold. But, if you want one don’t give up hope – just watch seller : sonic–youth – one is sure to pop up.

The first plant stand from sonic–youth is this sweet little one.

It is approximately 2 feet wide and 2 feet tall.

It sold for $111.16 American.

The next plant stand from sonic–youth is this cool tall one.

It is approximately 4 feet all and 2 feet wide.

This plant stand sold for $236.46 American.

Here is a close up of the Formica.

And, lastly, my FAVORITE!!!!! This is the most bomb-a-licious plant stand ever!

It measures approximately 3 feet tall by 2 feet wide.

This plant stand sold for a whopping $530.51!

Here is a close up of the Formica. It totally matches the black Formica on the first plant stand!

Oh, how I would love to see the house of the person who bought this plant stand!

I hope y’all enjoyed all the pictures.

And, if anyone out there gets a plant stand from the UK be sure to let us know!

11 Responses to Retro Plant Stands

1. Fiona - Notorious Kitsch Reply

October 7, 2010 at 6:59 am

They always go for crazy money, I watch them to cos I’m in the UK but I could never afford one either! I actually think most come from Germany, that seems to be where the best of these come from.

2. magnarama Reply

October 7, 2010 at 10:48 am

There must have been a Euro manufacturer who specialized in these — I’ve never seen ANYthing like these in the U.S.!

They are waaaaay cool.

3. Angela Reply

October 7, 2010 at 11:17 am

Never in a million years would I think to look for such a thing, but now that I have seen them, I can’t help thinking how I could use them for all sorts of other display applications. I guess it’s a good thing I’m broke or I’d be rearranging the living room for one of these!

October 7, 2010 at 11:30 am

Those are so ridiculously cool! I’ve never seen anything like them before.

5. Sara In Az Reply

October 7, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Fiona – Oooohhhh, be sure to let us know if you ever do get one of these plant stands – you will be the eny of all of us! 😉

Magnarama – There had to have been a Euro manufacturer! But why, oh why, couldn’t they make them here too! 🙂

Angela – I know right, retro plant stands – who wudda thunk! 🙂 And all the uses besides just plants, endless…..

Andrea – I know, I was drooling all over myself when I saw them! 🙂

October 8, 2010 at 9:50 am

These are G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S Sara!!! Great find. That last one is freaking killing me. 🙂

October 8, 2010 at 1:12 pm

OMG, Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! I want them all!

Great finds, great post!

8. stacey Reply

December 13, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Aren’t these amazing? I have 3 of them ~ 2 came from Germany itself, one was a local auction win. I know literally nothing about these (designers, companies responsible etc) except that [mine] are very cheaply made, one is simply particle board and screws. All of them spin in one way or another, if it’s not the little stands it’s the platform that the stands are screwed to. The last stand in your photo looks like the rectangular wooden base on the top of the main table is probably on a washer and is able to rotate.

I wish I could find out more ABOUT these, but I’ve hit a brick wall of information… on the internet at least. I’m happy to find more fans of these, the German sellers seem quite unimpressed by them!

December 14, 2010 at 2:00 am

Oooohhhhh Stacey!!! You have 3 of these type of plant stands! How completely awesome, and I can assure you we are ALL jealous! 😉 If possible, can you send some pics to me? I would love to post them on No Pattern for everyone to enjoy! I guess we all need to make a trip to Germany to snatch some of the babies up!

10. Flower Pot Reply

May 30, 2012 at 12:19 am

I’ve never seen the likes of these…they are really fun and very retro!

11. PJsParadise Reply

May 5, 2013 at 7:57 am

I just bought one yesterday at a garage sale in my area and have been trying to find out about them. If you would like a pic, tell me where to send it.