Home » Decade » 1950 » Vintage Stuffed Animals and My Baby Spots

October 5, 2010

Vintage Stuffed Animals and My Baby Spots

By Sara In AZ

Does anyone else love old stuffed animals like me? I have bought some here and there  when I see one that particularly strikes my fancy. It seems that I have been especially drawn to the ‘plastic face’ type of stuffed animals that were so popular in the 1950s and 1960s.  And, I was just noticing, I have more rabbits than any other type of animal. Hmmmmm, maybe they are multiplying when I am not looking????? 🙂

Click on any picture to enlarge it.

My first animal is a rabbit, or course! He has a label that says “A Loveable Woolikin Original” He was made in Japan, and I think his fur is some kind of wool blend. Don’t you just love the leopard type spots in his ears! I don’t think he was ever really played with, as he is in super good shape.

Next up is another rabbit! What else? 🙂  This rabbit is special to me because Mike gave him to me as a gift. We saw him in an antique mall and I just thought he was soooo cute with those big rabbit paws. Well, then I decided I probably had too many animals already, so I left him behind. But, Mike went back about a week later and bought him as one of my Christmas gifts! This is a Gund rabbit, and his ribbon says “Tweak ‘n Squeak – You Tweak Me I Squeak”. Unfortunately, he no longer squeaks. Oh well, I still love him anyway.

OK, let’s change things up a little and check out a Duck now! I found this little guy at a Flea Market in Texas. He is the funniest looking little black duck, just kitschy enough for me! I was really surprised that he still had his original paper tag. He is made by Gund, and I have included pictures of his tag for y’all to see too.

Next up are my old Huckleberry Hound and Yogi Bear stuffed animals.  These both are made by Knickerbocker and the tags are dated 1959!

Uh-oh, another rabbit!!! See, I told y’all I had A LOT of rabbits! How could I resist this one though – a rabbit wearing overalls with a duck on the front. Come on, could y’all resist this cute little bunny? 🙂 The rabbit is made by Gund.

Here’s an old ‘Frosty The Snowman’ I just found at Goodwill a few weeks ago. Poor guy is missing his Corn-Cob pipe, but I will be on the lookout for one! There is no manufacturing tag, so I have no clue who made him.

Here is a little Bear Buckaroo saying “Howdy” to you Miss Eartha! He appears to have his original felt vest and scarf, and who does not love a big ol’ turquoise cowboy hat! There are no marking on this guy anywhere. Does anyone have any clue at all about who made this bear, or if he is from a 50s cartoon or something? I would love to know.

Lastly, my baby Spots.

I know some of y’all out there have special animals that were your best friends when you were young. Eartha had Peanut. I think Ruth mentioned she had a koala bear. Well, I had Spots. My Mom got him for me when I was just a baby, and I loved him so. I carried him with me everywhere. When we lived in Tennessee we drove up to visit my Grams in Wisconsin, that is where the dreaded “Nose Incident” happened. I was happily playing with Spots and somehow never noticed his nose had fallen off. It was just one of those black pom-pom type noses. When I noticed his nose was gone I frantically searched the house and asked everyone around if they had seen my dog’s nose. Grams proceeded to tell me that she had found a “black thing” in the driveway and had thrown it out. I was probably around 5 or so at the time, and I was completely devastated for days afterword. I never even had the heart to cut the strings that held on his nose.

Poor guy doesn’t have a lot of his fur left.

I still love you Spots!

Does anyone else have a ‘best friend’ from childhood?

9 Responses to Vintage Stuffed Animals and My Baby Spots

1. Sharon Reply

October 5, 2010 at 7:56 am

You’ve got a lot of cute little buddies over there, that’s for sure! I really couldn’t pick a favorite because I wouldn’t want to hurt the others’ feelings, of course! 🙂 I only have two vintage stuffed animals — an orange poodle and a purple kitty — both are of the “Boo Boo Kitty” category (http://www.tvacres.com/dolls_bookitty.htm) and I got them 2 for 1 (uh, by accident, but I didn’t correct the accident at the cash register … I’m sure I had kitsch karma not soon afterward and probably lost out on a chance to buy something fabulous). I didn’t take them with me when I moved but I trust the Mr. left in the bedroom (hee!) where they’ve long lived and thrived!

October 5, 2010 at 7:59 am

Now that is a fantastic collection! I love them all but I have to admit that there is a soft place in my heart for Spots (and his lost nose). I hope that he and Biscuits can be good friends. I think they’ve both seen some love. 🙂

October 5, 2010 at 8:29 am

Sara! You remembered my koala! 🙂 I had an extensive list of childhood toys including Chocolate the Bunny, Friskie the Collie (named after our real dog, Friskie), a Cabbage Patch doll named Michelle, several Pound Puppies and Pound Purries and enough un-named stuffed animals to fill a zoo. But “10-Cent Kowallie” the koala was always my favorite. I got him from a garage sale (big surprise!) when I was 6 for, you guessed it, 10 cents. Love that little guy!

4. Inky Reply

October 5, 2010 at 9:42 am

love your collection!! I do have my best buddy from childhood – his name is Pancho. He is a steiff-style bear. I was born in cuba and my grandfather purchased him for me before I was even born. He has gone everywhere with me and will do so for the rest of my life (i’m 50 now). When i was little my dad would take him from me while I slept and put him at the table eating, or watching tv, reading a magazine, using the bathroom and once “running away from home” with a little knapsack. I thought that bear was alive for a VERY long time. great memories 🙂

5. Barbara Reply

October 5, 2010 at 10:29 am

I have a 1966 Winnie the Pooh that is in about the same condition as Spots…actually worse. His “fur” is so thin that we now put bandaids over the holes – there’s nothing left to sew!

6. Sara In Az Reply

October 6, 2010 at 12:29 am

Sharon – Oh, your Boo Boo Kittys I LOVE them!!!! And, I’m sure the Mr knew better than to move those sweet little babies! 🙂

Eartha – Spots and Biscuits are going to be GREAT buds, now if I can only find my Gravy too! 🙂

Ruth – How could I forget your little koala!!! You sound just like me as a kid, I loved to have tons of stuffed animals too! 🙂 I guess I still do though huh! hee!

Inky – Thank you! Gosh, your little bear sounds sooo sweet. That is so cool that your Dad would do all that stuff with the bear – I would totally think he was alive too! 🙂

Barbara – Oh, your little Pooh Bear sounds so sweet, even without the fur! 🙂

7. Sarsaparilla Reply

October 6, 2010 at 8:18 am

These are all wonderful! My favorites are your first rabbit and your Huckleberry Hound and Yogi bear.

I’m so glad there’s someone else out there who loves these old 50’s and 60’s stuffed animals with vinyl faces as much I do. I say that because back in the days when I used to sell antiques in a little booth in an antique mall, nobody ever seemed interested in buying my sweet little stuffed toys – no matter how low the price. It still puzzles me.

Thanks for a great post!
    – Susan

8. Sara In Az Reply

October 6, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Susan – Thanks so much! Darn! It’s too bad I did not know about your booth back in the day, I would have bought all your animals right up! 🙂

October 8, 2010 at 1:16 pm

For some reason that last bunny in the pink gingham bibs looks like something I used to have as a MCM child.

Love them all! Glad you gave them all a good home, girlfriend!