Home » Decade » 1950 » Another One Bites The Dust

November 16, 2010

Another One Bites The Dust

By Sara In AZ

_____________________________________________________

Oh man, I sincerely wish I did not have to report MORE bad news on the MCM home front! Especially after I had to tell y’all about all those decorative concrete screen blocks being trashed. But, here goes anyway.

Do y’all remember the house that was for sale  here in Phoenix, that reader Shen went to and snapped a bunch of pictures for us to drool over? HERE  is the link if you want to see that post.

As many of you know, I am searching for my own retro dream house here in AZ. My real estate agent has me set up with an account that will automatically send me alerts anytime a house that meets my specifications comes up for sale. Basically my specs are a house 1950-1965, at least 3 bedrooms and 2000 sq feet. So, that is how I knew this house was back up for sale.

I already knew that this house had sold back in July for $215,000, because I had been watching it to see how much it sold for. I was SO hoping that it had sold to someone who loved the retro vibe of the house and NOT to some flipper.

But, I was wrong y’all.  🙁  Oh , so wrong.

As Sablemable/Jan pointed out a while back, the re-hab disease is spreading far and it is spreading wide. And this house is no exception. This place is about as bland as you can get now, with no retro or mid-century left in it at all. Maybe we should all start calling this the “Home Depot Disease” or HDD for short. This house was built in 1954, unfortunately you could never tell that now.

***WARNING*** ***WARNING***The pictures you are about to see are not for the squeamish or the faint of heart ***WARNING******WARNING***

Lets start off with the front door.

Remember the awesome Starburst Escutcheon?

Well, gone baby, gone…..

Remember the awesome entry with the cool planter and hip tile floor?

Now it’s all blah, blah, blah………with that blah Home Depot ceiling light. HDD y’all!

Remember that AWESOME blonde paneled living room with the original lights and ultra FAB fireplace?

Well, now we have this. At least they saved the fireplace…… Uh-oh HDD strikes again!

Remember the kitschy and cute kitchen?

With the original tile.

Now we have granite, granite, and more granite………………. WAY HDD!!!!

Remember the cute little sink with the original wallpaper?

Now we have this.

Remember the AWESOME mint green tub?

It’s all plastic now y’all. Oh HDD, what have you done?

Looks like they even spilled some of that beige paint on the shower surround.

Uh-oh, maybe that is karma for destroying that nice green tub!

I was SOOOO in love with this fish shower door.

For some reason this part makes me the most sad.

And now we have this. HDD working at destroying everything cute and kitschy!

I don’t want to sound mean about the way this house was re-done. I’m sure there are many, many people who would be perfectly happy in it now, and would probably even like it much more than the way it was originally. But, you can buy ANY new house now and get all this same stuff – granite and dark wood cabinets and travertine and blah…..blah……blah. We can never get back the cute fish shower door, or that fantastic green bathtub, or that awesome Starburst Escutcheon – and, oh, the original lights – and everything else that is now probably in the trash heap.

Obviously, the house needed some sprucing up. Maybe some fresh paint, some new carpet or hardwood, some cleaning here and there, maybe a bit of tile work – but it was such a cute house. I can’t tell you how very much it saddens me that all of the character has been stripped out of this house.

Oh boy y’all, whatever can we do to stop HDD? Help!!!!

The house is now back on the market for $315,000 – any takers?

16 Responses to Another One Bites The Dust

1. Kelly Reply

November 16, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Oh no! I liked it much, much better in the before pics. So sad what these…idiots…do to original details like that. The inside does look nice, IF it were in a basic tract home, not this once retro home. So sad! I hate seeing things like this happen.

PS. Can I steal “Home Depot Disease” for my blog? I love it! I call the bathroom floors the HGTV flooring, I think everyone on HGTV has that kind of huge tiled floors. Heck, the whole house is an HGTV house but I think I like Home Depot Disease a lot more. 🙂

November 16, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Kelly – You can totally use “Home Depot Disease” for your blog! 🙂 I know what you mean about all the HGTV stuff, and I agree this does look like an HGTV house! Ugh, those huge tiled floors look SO out of place in this retro home don’t they?

November 16, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Can someone PLEASE explain the appeal of granite to me?? I sure do not get it …

I do realize that no one here will be explaining the appeal of granite to me, LOL.

So sad … at least they kept the fireplace.

4. bri Reply

November 16, 2010 at 3:19 pm

If you look closely in the window of the first pic, I think you can spot the silhouette of the harbinger of doom.

I really like the planter (that was) in the entrance.

Ah well.

November 16, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Oh Sara! My heart aches! Of course, one has to wonder where all of that cool stuff went when they took it down – that shower door..oh my stars! The character is completely gone. Sure, it needed some sprucing but seriously…can the beige EVER end?

I’d like to add to this that I don’t understand why everyone and their brother has to buy those stupid nipple lights. That’s what the Mister and I call them – those round ceiling lights with the hardware on the end that look like nipples? I guess it makes it easier for consumers to suckle at Mother Home Depot’s breast. Bleckk. Color me agitated.

November 16, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Andrea – Yeah, when you figure out the whole granite thing can you please let me know what the big whoop is! 🙂 Poor little fireplace, doesn’t know what to do with his MCM self now. 🙁

Bri – Never noticed the silhouette before, you never know! I know, that planter was pretty rad huh. 🙁

Eartha – Girl, you crack me up! PLEASE make the beige END!!!! AND, you and MR are right on it – I was gonna call it a nipple light too – hee! I feel sad for my little fish shower door. 🙁

7. Kelly Reply

November 16, 2010 at 6:42 pm

The granite love must come from people watching to much HGTV. I think every show someone mentions they MUST have granite counter tops!

8. Shen Reply

November 16, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Sara! It’s so awful isn’t it! I’ve been waiting for you to post this bad news. I still kick myself for not calling and to inquire about the vintage stuff before they renovated, especially since the house is so close to me. Everything happened so fast and I was away overseas. Oh well. 🙁

November 16, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Kelly – You are so right!

Shen – I couldn’t sleep for days thinking about what had happened to this house. 🙁 I know you would have tried to rescue the stuff, had you known. Let’s just all hope and pray they donated everything to ReStore before they put up those nipple lights. 🙂

10. Annie B. Reply

November 17, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Absolute sacrilege! More evidence of the “lemming mentality”. The next thing you know, granite will be on the endangered mineral – or whatever – list.

This makes me sicker than sick, but it is happening this very minute all over the country. No one has the @$%& to appreciate design history or the ^&$# to do anything other than what HGTV says to do.

I’m ranting, but this debacle deserves a rant. Thank you, Sara and Ruth, for letting me expound.

November 17, 2010 at 2:55 pm

No problem Annie! And you are right, a lot of people must think they should follow HGTV like robots or something, because I guess they think they rule the design world. Not good. 🙁

November 18, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Aaaaargh!!! This makes me want to puke!!!!

You know what I find ridiculous is that they stripped that family room, but didn’t bother to power-wash the soot stains off the fireplace.

Worst case of HDD ever!

November 18, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Ruth – I know, they could have totally washed the soot stains off since they had the room stripped bare. 🙁

14. Mrs. Jess Reply

November 19, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Sad sad sad 🙁

November 19, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Mrs Jess – I know. 🙁

16. Pingback: 10 vintage shower doors help answer, What kind of shower door for my retro bathroom? — Retro Renovation