Home » Decorating & Home » The NPR Archive – Jan’s Neighborhood In 1950 & Now!

November 26, 2010

The NPR Archive – Jan’s Neighborhood In 1950 & Now!

Late Happy Thanksgiving, everyone-who-celebrated it!  I’m doing a bit of throwback today since it is a holiday weekend.  This post is from September 29, 2009.  Enjoy!  Sablemable aka Jan

I live in a subdivision called Fair Plain, which was developed beginning circa 1949.  I chose a few structures that were featured in our local newspaper from 1951 and 1952.  All are in walking distance from my home.

1850 Heath Court, 1952…..

1951-5

1850 Heath Court, 2009……..

PICT0424

1801 Broadmoor, 1952……

1952-10

1801 Broadmoor, 2009……

PICT0425

The first elementary school constructed, Fair Plain West, was built in 1952.  I have a soft spot for FPW, as it was the last building I was assigned to as secretary before I retired from the school district.

Fairplain West School, 1952……..

1952FPW

Fair Plain West School, 2009…….

PICT0422

Sadly, I could not find anything about my current home that was built in 1955 by Joe Sorce, but here is a recent photo of it.

004

I hope you enjoyed a brief tour of my neighborhood and its classic MCM architecture!

7 Responses to The NPR Archive – Jan’s Neighborhood In 1950 & Now!

September 29, 2009 at 1:30 pm

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT post Jan!!! I love the tour of the neighborhood, and adding the original newspaper articles was way cool. Hmmmmmmmm, do you think I could still get that house for $21,000? 😉 Your house looks awesome, I can’t wait to see more pics of it!

September 29, 2009 at 2:15 pm

LOL, Saraaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! I wish I could sell it to you for $21,000!!!!!! The house next door to 1801 Broadmoor is up for sale but not at 21 thou!

3. Alex Reply

September 29, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Is it true that two fireplaces was a trend? My house has two, and I’ve often wondered about that. I had always thought it was just this particular owner’s preference.

• RetroRuth Reply

September 29, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Hmmm…our house has two fireplaces also! I think I do smell a trend!

Great post, Jan! The pictures are fab. 🙂

September 29, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Thanks, Ruth! I had fun doing the research.

Alex, I don’t know about the 2 fireplace trend, however, I have seen in the larger ranch homes built around here during the Fifties a fireplace in the living room and a fireplace directly below in the basement family room. Maybe families did more entertaining at home back then (which sounds feasible) and a fireplace in the basement would make it more homey? Just guessing.

5. Alex Reply

September 29, 2009 at 8:42 pm

The first newspaper article posted above called it a trend. That just started the wheels moving. 🙂 Mine are back to back. I have one in the living room and one in the den.

September 29, 2009 at 10:22 pm

Oh, LOL, I meant to say I wasn’t familiar with the stated trend! Ha! I need to learn how to explain myself in writing!

Alex, a den with a fireplace sounds awesome! We MUST see pictures! I’m still swooning over your cornices.