Home » Decorating & Home » The NPR Archive – Jan’s Neighborhood In 1950 & Now!

November 26, 2010

The NPR Archive – Jan’s Neighborhood In 1950 & Now!

Late Happy Thanksgiving, everyone-who-celebrated it!  I’m doing a bit of throwback today since it is a holiday weekend.  This post is from September 29, 2009.  Enjoy!  Sablemable aka Jan

I live in a subdivision called Fair Plain, which was developed beginning circa 1949.  I chose a few structures that were featured in our local newspaper from 1951 and 1952.  All are in walking distance from my home.

1850 Heath Court, 1952…..

1850 Heath Court, 2009……..

1801 Broadmoor, 1952……

1801 Broadmoor, 2009……

The first elementary school constructed, Fair Plain West, was built in 1952.  I have a soft spot for FPW, as it was the last building I was assigned to as secretary before I retired from the school district.

Fairplain West School, 1952……..

Fair Plain West School, 2009…….

Sadly, I could not find anything about my current home that was built in 1955 by Joe Sorce, but here is a recent photo of it.

I hope you enjoyed a brief tour of my neighborhood and its classic MCM architecture!

7 Responses to The NPR Archive – Jan’s Neighborhood In 1950 & Now!

September 29, 2009 at 1:30 pm

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT post Jan!!! I love the tour of the neighborhood, and adding the original newspaper articles was way cool. Hmmmmmmmm, do you think I could still get that house for $21,000? 😉 Your house looks awesome, I can’t wait to see more pics of it!

September 29, 2009 at 2:15 pm

LOL, Saraaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! I wish I could sell it to you for $21,000!!!!!! The house next door to 1801 Broadmoor is up for sale but not at 21 thou!

3. Alex Reply

September 29, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Is it true that two fireplaces was a trend? My house has two, and I’ve often wondered about that. I had always thought it was just this particular owner’s preference.

• RetroRuth Reply

September 29, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Hmmm…our house has two fireplaces also! I think I do smell a trend!

Great post, Jan! The pictures are fab. 🙂

September 29, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Thanks, Ruth! I had fun doing the research.

Alex, I don’t know about the 2 fireplace trend, however, I have seen in the larger ranch homes built around here during the Fifties a fireplace in the living room and a fireplace directly below in the basement family room. Maybe families did more entertaining at home back then (which sounds feasible) and a fireplace in the basement would make it more homey? Just guessing.

5. Alex Reply

September 29, 2009 at 8:42 pm

The first newspaper article posted above called it a trend. That just started the wheels moving. 🙂 Mine are back to back. I have one in the living room and one in the den.

September 29, 2009 at 10:22 pm

Oh, LOL, I meant to say I wasn’t familiar with the stated trend! Ha! I need to learn how to explain myself in writing!

Alex, a den with a fireplace sounds awesome! We MUST see pictures! I’m still swooning over your cornices.