Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » MCM Home Improvement: Traveling On The Craigslist Highway

November 5, 2010

MCM Home Improvement: Traveling On The Craigslist Highway

By Sablemable aka Jan

The weather here in Michigan is rainy and cold and I feel so blue that I decided to do something that would make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside and make me think of something other than my aching bones.

So I jumped into my imaginary 1956 Mercury Monterey and headed around the USA and Canada looking for unique MCM goodies.

When Andrea did her post on re-upholstering a vintage baby high chair, I took a look around and found this hardwood beauty in Whittier, California for $55.00.

From Forest Hills, NY (Queens), a Danish buffet for $195.00.

From the Province of Alberta in Mt. Royal, southwestern Calgary, a Fifties exterior door with fantastic lites for $100.00!

Need some MCM exterior bricks?  A seller in Bellvue, Washington is selling 2400 of them at $.50 a piece or 100 or more at $.10 a piece.  These are from the Fifties.  The bricks are leftovers, no mortar ever touched these babies.

Borrowing one of Sara’s favorite expressions:  Me wants this desk!!!!!!!!!  From Hatfield, Pennsylvania (Philly area) comes a modern wood desk from the Fifties for $140.00.

Looking for stainless steel wall ovens from 1951?  A seller in Pasadena, California has a set for sale for $300.00.

For $99.00, you can buy a beautiful MCM lamp in Montreal, Quebec.  Mais oui!

Finally, I almost choked when I saw this, but fainted instead.  From Raleigh, North Carolina, a very vintage rattan set of furniture.  The price?  $3,000.00 but who cares?  It’s worth every greenback!   Don’t miss the side table next to the chair in the last photo!

Next »

9 Responses to MCM Home Improvement: Traveling On The Craigslist Highway

November 5, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Hmmmmmm, me does want that desk! 🙂 And that cool rattan set! And, I wouldn’t mind that rockin’ buffet either!

Great finds Sable!

November 5, 2010 at 2:21 pm

OMG, do you have a link to that door?? Calgary is a drivable distance for me …

That buffet is gorgeous!

3. Annie B. Reply

November 5, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Aw, Sableeeeeee!!!

That rattan set looks like 100% vintage Hey Wake. And, it’s in Raleigh, only three hours up US 70 West. How tempting, except for the big bucks they’re asking. You’re right, that set is worth it. Anyone want to loan me three grand??? (just kidding!!!)

November 5, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! Thought you’d like the stuff!

Andreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! Yep, I’ll go to it and come back with the link.

Annieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! Sure, I’ll loan you the bucks, LOL! A Mrs. Got-Rocks I ain’t!

November 5, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Andreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! I just copied/pasted the link to you. If you get the door, yell out, girl!

November 5, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Forgot to mention, Annieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, that I’ll keep a watch for stuff in NC for you. Since I’m retired (or just plain tired), I’ve plenty of spare time to search C-List, and that includes anyone else reading this.

We must find homes for these precious MCM treasures, right?

7. Jamie in Hollywood Reply

November 6, 2010 at 2:33 pm

These are all too wonderful. Why are all the great things in the hinterlands? Give me the lamp and the desk and I’ll be happy.

8. Eartha Reply

November 7, 2010 at 9:23 pm

I just want that rattan sideboard. Okay, and that door. And well, several thousand of those bricks.

9. Annie B. Reply

November 8, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Sable!! Thanks a million!!! There is SO little cool stuff east of Raleigh, it seems. I need all the help I can get in my searches. If you see anything on CL’s Eastern NC site……yell!!!!!!