Home » Decade » 1950 » Recent Thrifting Finds!

November 2, 2010

Recent Thrifting Finds!

By Sara In AZ

______________________________________________________________

So y’all know I have definitely been thrifting lately, but I’ve been remiss to show everyone my finds.

So sit back, and let’s see what I’ve come up with now!

I found this sweet little pair of kissing angels sitting on a bench.

How could I resist?

They actually are not salt and pepper shakers, just little angels that love one another. πŸ™‚

The labels are almost all gone, so I do not know who made them. Possibly Bradley? The bottom of the bench has a ‘Japan’ tag.

I found this old chalk ware lamp. My Mom snagged it because she totally fell in love with it!

I thought these turquoise glasses with the music motif were so cool!

This old measuring spoon holder was just kitschy enough to come home with me! It is marked ‘Japan’ on the bottom.

I love old wall plaques like these, especially old mermaid plaques. I could not resist this bubble lady bath plaque.

I found this old Shawnee bull planter at an estate sale. I love the pink and black color combination.

Stay tuned for Thursday when I show y’all the rest of my recent thrifting finds!

15 Responses to Recent Thrifting Finds!

1. Sharon Reply

November 2, 2010 at 8:08 am

So many adorable things! I really love that chicken and the mermaid — they will both brighten up any corner!

2. Eartha Reply

November 2, 2010 at 10:44 am

Great haul, Miss Sara! I have never seen that bull planter before. Those “spooning for you” spoons always make me giggle. Very cool.

3. Kelly Reply

November 2, 2010 at 10:44 am

Too cute! I love the bathing lady! Great finds, can’t wait till Thursday to see the rest! πŸ™‚

4. Barbara Reply

November 2, 2010 at 11:27 am

Love the bull…not sure that I’d like spoons from a chicken’s butt…

November 2, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Sharon – Thanks hon! I really appreciate it! I really LOVE to have ‘bright corners’ in my house! πŸ™‚

Eartha – I was stunned when I saw the ‘Spooning Chicken’ for sale on our trip for $20 – exact same one too! Thanks sweetie! πŸ™‚

Kelly – Thanks so much! I really love all those old bathroom plaqes! Come back on Thursday for more fun! πŸ™‚

Barbara – Awwwww, no spoons from a chicken’s butt for you? πŸ˜‰

November 2, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I am absolutely loving that bull planter! Such great finds!

It’s funny, I do well around here at garage sales, but for some reason our thrift store (yes, there is only one in town) never seems to have much mid century stuff.

November 2, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Andrea – That is too funny, it seems like all the stuff I find is at thrift stores (sometimes estate sales). I never have any luck at garage sales! Maybe one day the fates will switch it around on us! πŸ™‚

November 2, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Oh, I am all about spoons from a chicken’s butt! That thing is adorable! πŸ™‚

The bull is freaking sweet. Jealous!!

Also, Sara and Andrea, you guys are so funny. I find that I have better luck at thrift stores because I am too lazy to drive around garage saleing. The worst part is when you buy something at a thrift store that is leftover from a garage sale, and it still has the old garage sale tag on it! It is always MUCH cheaper at the garage sale than the thrift store price. Oh well, it is for charity!

November 2, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Don’t you just HATE that Ruth! It seems like I see garage sale tags all the time on stuff at thrifts too — and yes, it’s ALWAYS cheaper! But, yeah, it’s for charity so I don’t really mind.

PS – I knew you would like spoons from a chickens butt! πŸ™‚

10. JenniferBuckeye Reply

November 3, 2010 at 9:34 am

Ok, not fair to all of you. I live in Charlotte, NC where there just seems to be a lot of wealthy people– meaning they’ve gotten rid of most of their trinkets and MCM treasures some time ago. I recently made an excursion to Western PA to see my brother and scored some great stuff there. Apparently I need to nw visit some cousins in the Phoenix area to find the goodies you are lucky enough to get!

11. Annie B. Reply

November 3, 2010 at 11:58 am

Saraaaaa,

Dang, it! You get the bestest stuff!!! Congrats on the cool finds.

I’m with JenniferBuckeye: it’s hard to find good MCM things in NC anywhere outside of Raleigh. I rather thought there’d be lots of mid mod treasures in Charlotte, though; sad to hear otherwise.

12. Jamie in Hollywood Reply

November 3, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I want those glasses! It seems that here people know how great mid century is, so you have to be Johnny On The Spot to get anything good. I’ve found so many great things through thrift stores and on ebay and such but the fun is not paying full price. Here’s to continued good finds!

November 3, 2010 at 3:22 pm

JenniferBuckeye – Oh, you are so lucky to visit PA and shop for MCM there. I’m sure you found some amazing things. I have always wanted to go there…..someday! I will admit it is hit and miss here sometimes, I don’t find stuff every time I go thrifting. Yes, come on out to Phoenix, there are plenty of goodies to go around! And send in some pics of your PA treasures if you have a chance.

Annie B.- Oh, thanks hon! πŸ™‚ I guess we have to get you out here to Phoenix too!

Jamie – I really loved those glasses when I saw them, I only wish there had been more than 2! I completely agree, not paying full price is the BEST!!! You should send in some pics of your thrifting finds too! Cheers to good finds!

14. Jamie in Hollywood Reply

November 3, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Thank you, Sara, I will take some pictures and ask a friend to teach me to upload them. You’d think that after all this time I’d know how to upload pictures but I will learn and do it. This is a good impetus to learn something new! The pictures on the site are always clear and I enjoy them. I had no idea till I came across No Pattern Required how many folks love MCM like me! It’s not just the design, of course but the culture, as well.

November 4, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Thanks Jamie! We all look forward to drooling over your MCM finds. Cant’ wait to see everything!

You are so right, the design and culture go hand in hand in the MCM world, and we are so glad you found us! πŸ™‚