Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Things I Miss From My Childhood

November 23, 2010

Things I Miss From My Childhood

By Sablemable aka Jan

The other day my brother and I were reminiscing of our childhoods and we found ourselves bringing up some of our favorite MCM things, stuff that we’ll probably never see again in our lifetimes, like…..

Hires Root Beer-in glass bottles, of course.

Vitalis.  Grandpa used this for years and I remember quite distinctly the fragrence, which was fresh and very masculine.

Twinkle Copper Cleaner.  Mom used this on her Revereware.  Sometimes, I was allowed to do the polishing.

Bottled milk, delivered every morning.  Remember the paper caps?

The Murray Pedal Car.  A class-act toy that you could burn rubber down the driveway or sidewalk.

Full-service gas stations.  You know, the ones where the uniformed attendants came running out of the garage to fill your tank, wash your windshield and check your oil?

Telephone operators.  I hate automated messages!

What are your gone-but-not-forgotten things, readers?  Remember, you don’t have to be a Baby Boomer to participate, either!

8 Responses to Things I Miss From My Childhood

1. Barbara Reply

November 23, 2010 at 12:37 pm

2. Sylko Reply

November 23, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Sambo’s restaurants. We used to go there all the time on vacation. They were like Dennys, but they had the story of an Indian boy in a turban and a tiger. The pictures were on the walls, and on the kids menus. I loved them. They were closed because of a backlash as the original Sambo book had very racist drawings. The restaurants were named after the owners, not the book, but they used the books story as their hook, changing the racist character to a less racist one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo's

3. Sylko Reply

November 23, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I also miss the “family” programming. Waltons. Little House on the Prarie. Father Murphy. I have nothing I can really watch with my kids for us to enjoy on two levels. I can watch their kids shows, but I don’t really enjoy them. And they can’t watch my shows. The shows that pass for family shows aren’t, in my opinion.

November 23, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I remember when I was little, I had a friend who had a pedal car – I was so jealous of that thing! I think it is going on the list of vintage toys I need to find for Ella.

November 23, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Barbara! Thanks for the tip on Twinkle! It’s no longer carried here at the grocery stores as I’ve looked.

Sylko! Yep, I remember Sambo’s Restaurants and I miss family television programming, too. Even the “adult” shows like Peyton Place, The Avengers and The Fugitive were older children friendly. And, thankfully, we had parents who explained the facts of life and answered our questions to things we knew nothing about, in a way that we would understand. How did they do that?

Andreaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! Those pedal cars were marvelous, but I had to share one with my brother and you know how older brothers (or sisters) could bully you out of your turn, LOL!

6. Diane Dempsey Reply

November 23, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I love the old pedal cars. Old vinatge toys that had a no batteries required status! BTW, check the Retro Kids at WhatsBuzzin.com They are 50% off and feature tricycles, pogo sticks, Red wagons, and betsy wetsy dolls… Now thats what Christmas morning is all about!

7. Lorie B. Reply

November 23, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I remember Archway chocolate chip icebox cookies. They were so big they wouldn’t fit into the glass to dunk them. they ‘restructured’ a few years ago and stopped making those. I greived.

8. thissideofgaudy Reply

November 28, 2010 at 1:16 pm

My father was a milkman briefly in the 1970s right before that service stopped being offered. The glass bottles were gone by then and plastic had not yet made its appearence. Visiting the “plant” was always fun as we would come home with cartons of chocolate milk given us by the management. Thanks for the memory.