Home » Decade » 1950 » More Texas Flea Market!

December 16, 2010

More Texas Flea Market!

By Sara In AZ

As promised, here are some more sights from around the Texas Sales.

I loved this old 50s Asian picture. I thought the frame was really cool too! $65 seemed like an OK price, but I’m sure they would have come down.

A super sweet chenille cowboy blanket! I thought this was totally adorable, but there was no price and I was afraid to ask!

Lovely Head Vases and Mermaids!

This retro table set was so AWESOME!!! It all matched and all the vinyl was perfect! It would have SO been mine, but I already have a diner set.

See the cool sputnik/atomic pattern on the vinyl! The seat bottom was a black version of the pattern.

And, it matches the table! I did not ask, but I’m sure he would have done a lot better than $265.

I have to say that if my service station had this for their signage I would want to go there  a lot more!

This next one about killed me to leave behind. This was a pristine couch and chair set – original fabric too!!! The couch also folded out into a bed. The seller said it came out of a basement of a Texas home and was hardly ever used. Ooooooooh, the fabric was sooooo awesome and perfect. The price was marked at $650, but the seller came over when he saw me taking pictures and said he would sell everything including the tables for $350! I probably could have talked him down to $300!!! Where was this guy when I was on my one-armed couch quest???? If I didn’t already have my green couch set this would have been mine! Gosh, I hope it goes to a good home.

Well, that is all for the sights of the sales.

Next up, what I found!

16 Responses to More Texas Flea Market!

1. Sharon Reply

December 16, 2010 at 8:54 am

Wowza! I would like everything, please! That couch and chair is outrageously good looking. I can’t believe that finds like that still exist — people still have vintage, pristine furniture in their basements? God bless America! 🙂

December 16, 2010 at 9:06 am

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Those couches should have been mine! MINE! 🙁

And that table too.

And maybe that picture. 🙂

3. Natalie @ Chadwell Chronicles Reply

December 16, 2010 at 10:02 am

Oh em gee. I would have bought that couch. I live in Dallas. Was this Flea Market, the Canton First Monday weekend? If so, how the crap did you find all this awesome stuff? I never find stuff like that when I am there! If it wasn’t Canton? Where was it, I want to get in on that!

4. Eartha Reply

December 16, 2010 at 11:43 am

I looooooooooooooove the bear sign and that Western bedspread! I hope that someone who will love that living room set got it – and not a dealer who will mark it up to a $1000. 🙂

December 16, 2010 at 2:52 pm

That living room set and cowboy bedspread are both so gorgeous! But what I am really loving is that table and chairs! $265 doesn’t sound that bad compared to what some people around here ask for them, and it really looks to be in awesome shape

December 16, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Sharon – I know, right! I was stunned when I saw that sofa set and devastated when I had to leave it behind. 🙂 God Bless America is right!

Ruth – Gosh, that couch would have been PERFECT in your basement, even the color too – I SOOOOOOOO wish it could have been yours! We should have gone down with a freakin’ U-Haul and bought everything we saw! 🙂

Natalie – Hi! It is not the Canton Trade Days. This sale is about an hour east of Austin. It is always the first week of April and October every year, but some sale areas start the end of March and September. Here is a link that will better explain.

I would definitely recommend at least 3 days to see everything. It is a huge show and some sale areas are really far (like different towns) so you will have to drive to them. All of the pictures I took were around the Warrenton area – that is where the couch set was. I like that area the best because they seem to have a lot of the retro stuff there! You should definitely check it out if you have the chance, you will LOVE it! 🙂

Eartha – I totally hope someone got the couch set who loves it too and NOT a dealer. I was obsessed with that Bear sign. I can’t remember for sure but I *think* it was like $650 or something. Oh well, I still love him – it will just have to be in pictures, not in real life! 🙂

Andrea – I kinda regret not trying to get that table set now. It really was in spectacular shape. Not one rip or tear in any of the vinyl, which is almost always the case. I know he would have done better on that price too. Next time, next time…….. 🙂

7. Natalie @ Chadwell Chronicles Reply

December 16, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Bookmarked. I am going in March. Going to see if we can stay with our friends in Austin for a few days and drive out there. =) Excited. Why have I never heard of this? Apparently I live under a rock.

8. Natalie @ Chadwell Chronicles Reply

December 16, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Oh, I know what Round Top is….is this the same thing?

9. Amy M Reply

December 16, 2010 at 8:04 pm

WOW!!!! All of those would make lovely Christmas presents!! Especially that table!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don’t really have extra money for vintage furniture but hope to one day. 🙂 Until then I just drool over great pics!! And pic up a vintage magazine every now and then. 🙂

I’m dreaming of a whiiiiteee formica table… Just like the one’s I never had the pleasure to know… Where the vinyl seats glisten and children eat homemade cookies…

*sigh* 🙂

December 16, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Natalie – YAY! You are SO going to love this. Be sure to bring a huge truck cuz I am sure you will find tons to buy. 🙂 I heard about this show a bit over 10 years ago from a TV show about collectibles. I used to go every spring and fall when my Mom lived in Houston, but she moved so we don’t make it as much anymore since we are all the way in AZ. Round Top – the town, is also where the Marburger Farm antique show is, but Marburger is kinda on the edge of Round Top. In the town center of Round Top they have little booths set up, but it was always more crafty and stuff – not really antiques. And, Marburger Farm is really more high end antiques. I’m not saying you would not find anything there, but it costs $10 to get in and I rarely found anything that really made it worth my while to go. Anyway, from my experience, I would not even bother with Round Top or Marburger Farm if you are looking for the more retro/kitschy type of stuff. I would definitely do Warrenton, then go up 237, and pass through Round Top and there are more stops on the other side of Round Top. Pick up a ‘Show Daily’ magazine (they are free) in Warrenton and that will help you out a lot too. And PLEASE let me know what you found! 🙂

December 16, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Amy M. – Oh, they would all make GREAT Christmas gifts wouldn’t they! Maybe I’ve been a REALLY good girl this year and Santa will bring be that table set I left behind? 😉

Don’t you worry, I’m sure your house will be filled with vintage treasures real soon! 🙂

12. Natalie @ Chadwell Chronicles Reply

December 17, 2010 at 10:55 am

Thanks so much Sara! I have been reading ya’lls blog for awhile and this was my first time to comment. Not sure how I stumbled upon it (probably from retrorenovation), but it is one of my favorite reads! Keep up the great work!

I go to Canton a few times a year but it is hard to find a lot of good kitschy vintage items among all the “stuff” people make. Haha. I tried to say it in a nice way. 😉

December 17, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Natalie – You are so welcome! I know you will have a blast! Please, please, please let us all know what you found.

Thanks for the comment and compliment too! That is very kind of you. 🙂 I have to admit, I am bad too, as your blog is also one I read, but have not commented on. Keep up the great work too – your house is gorgeous! And, I promise to comment!

14. Natalie @ Chadwell Chronicles Reply

February 8, 2011 at 1:07 pm

One more thing…do you see people with their dogs out there? I hate trying to find a place to leave them and I’d rather just bring them with me.

I am working on a place to stay right now! Either Houston or Austin. =) Yay!

February 8, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Oh YES!!! People are everywhere with their dogs, you even see them in those doggy strollers! 🙂

The sales are coming up fast! Please write in and let me know what you find!!!!

16. Natalie @ Chadwell Chronicles Reply

February 17, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I hate those doggie strollers! Haha. Mine will be walking!