Home » Decade » 1950 » Retro Road Trip!

December 2, 2010

Retro Road Trip!

By Sara In AZ

So y’all Mike and I decided to take a crazy cross-country road trip!

We have been debating for awhile about taking a big road trip, but Mike and I thought it felt like the right time and we went for it! We saw and did all kinds of crazy and fun things on our trip and I will show y’all everything we did in my upcoming posts.

Here is a teaser of what you will see in the coming weeks.

First up, Mike had to change the engine out in Texas! 🙂

Just kidding y’all. We actually were pulled over in Texas for only having one headlight, so he changed it out the next day after a very stern warning from the officer.  Thanks honey!

We went to the big Flea Market in Texas and saw tons of cool stuff!

We went to a zillion antique stores along the way!

We went to the “World’s Largest Dog Museum”! We saw signs hyping the museum, inside an antique store, so we had to stop and see what it was all about. Turns out the guy has tons of vintage dog memorabilia, including a HUGE collection of spaghetti poodles! Love!!!

We met up with Ruth and Tom, and Jan and Bob and we all went to Rosie’s Diner in Michigan! YUM!!!

We made cream cheese penguins with Eartha Kitsch from Ranch Dressing With Eartha Kitsch! YAY!!!

And, we bought our dream house!!!

Lord have mercy, I WISH!!!!!  Just kidding y’all! 🙂

Actually, we toured the Wilson House in Temple, Texas. This house was built by the founder of Wilsonart Laminate in the late 1950s and let me tell you, this really is a dream house.

So, buckle up kids, we are off on a road trip!

8 Responses to Retro Road Trip!

1. Barbara Reply

December 2, 2010 at 12:04 pm

You saw Eartha in PERSON? Wow! How about Jack?

I wish I lived nearer to you all!! I made those penguins for a Mary Kay party I had. They were the talk!!

December 2, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! Wish I could have been along for the retro ride!!!!!

Great stuff and photos, especially the one with Mike checking the oil, etc.!

December 2, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Barbara – Yes, I DID see Eartha in person and she actually let me into her house too! Her and her Mr are SO very sweet and kind. I saw Jack too, and let me tell you, he is a really well behaved boy! I LOVE those penguins. We made them for Thanksgiving and everyone LOVED them!

Sable – I wish you were along for the ride too! I am so glad we were able to meet up though, it was really fun girl! 🙂 More photos coming up!

December 2, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Auugh!!!! That house still kills me, I love it so! Oh, and there had better be tons of detailed pics from the cream cheese penguins.

I am totally jealous about the Dog Museum!

December 2, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I know, that house kills me too. It’s crazy they had it on the market for so long and no one wanted it. I’ll take it!!!!!!! 🙂

We have gotta get you to the Dog Museum! But, it’s in Texas too!

6. Eartha Reply

December 3, 2010 at 11:16 am

We had such a great time having y’all here, Miss Sara! I’m glad that you also got to meet up with Ruth and Jan and the guys. Your trip looks like such a blast – can’t wait to see more! When you said “The World’s Largest Dog Museum”, I instantly thought that it was going the hold the largest dog ever. What you found was even better! 🙂

And that Wilson house….HELLO, GORGEOUS!

p.s. BLAT!

7. Sharon Reply

December 3, 2010 at 11:17 am

So many adventures!! You’re just a red-headed midcentury modern gal on the road out for vintage finds and kicks!

I can also attest to the fact that Jack is a very well-behaved boy in person! 🙂

December 3, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Eartha – Hee – “Worlds Largest Dog” 🙂 I loved seeing all those spaghetti poodles though! We had an awesome time with y’all too! Oh Lord girl, I need a BLAT!!!!!!!!

Sharon – We did have a blast, we only wish we had more time. Jack is the best huh! 🙂