Home » Decorating & Home » Time Capsule Homes » Bathroom » Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Glenbrook Valley In Houston

December 19, 2010

Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Glenbrook Valley In Houston

By RetroRuth

Hello, everyone!  I am taking over for Jan this weekend, cause she isn’t feeling so well.  Nothing worse than being sick over Christmas, so we gave her the day off to rest up and get better.

But that doesn’t mean a week off for Won’t You Be My Neighbor!  This week we have a totally awesome submission from Maureen in Houston.  Maureen writes:

Ruth,

I live in an MCM neighborhood in Houston, TX that is trying to get historic neighborhood designation (fingers crossed). One of the things Glenbrook Valley was noted for was its fabulous holiday lights displays. There are several swanky homes for sale, but this one is up the street from me and was known, in particular, for great lights and was featured on the holiday home tour (old flier attached).  I thought this might be something your readers would like.

Thanks, and I love your blog!

Maureen

Well, thank you, Maureen!  We love working on the blog as much (or more) as you guys love reading it!  And thanks for sending the cool flier.  Click here to take a look at it: Xmas

Anyway, enough chatting. Here is the house!

You can take a look at the information here.  All photos are property of HAR.com and not of us!

Wow!  I think my favorite parts are the interesting windows in that bedroom, and the metallic tile in the blue bathroom.  Awesome.

Which is your favorite??

Thanks again for the great link, Maureen.  It’s a gorgeous house!

7 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor – Glenbrook Valley In Houston

1. Sylko Reply

December 19, 2010 at 5:52 pm

I love the spacious kitchen. I’m an avid cook and have always had teensy kitchens.

December 20, 2010 at 2:06 am

I am absolutely in love with the blue bathroom. I know most people who like this style are all about the pink bathrooms, but i really love the blue ones!

December 20, 2010 at 10:37 am

I just love this house and it’s not something that I can put my finger on – it just seems like it would be a cozy, family home. Maybe it’s all of the wood and windows and that that sweet built-in desk. And that front view of the house looks like a film still with all of that light flooding in through the trees.

4. Annie B. Reply

December 20, 2010 at 10:58 am

Great post, Maureen! Love the house.

Sable, get well soon!!!!!!!!

5. Robert Reply

December 21, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Maureen sent a copy of this to me, I am the listing agent on the house & I list a lot of the ones in there. This one is a one-owner and like many houses in there hasn’t been remuddled up. I always hope to match these gems up with people who appreciate the originality. It breaks my heart to see these baths in perfect shape end up in pieces at the curb on heavy trash day, and unfortunately, it happens. What is especially frustrating for me is the ones like this are are wonderful, comfortable houses with original details, but they are not the flat/angled or butterfly roof Palm Springs-esque mid-century moderns. The “mods” are easy for me to save by pairing with a sympathetic buyer but unfortunately the coolonials are tougher as many mid-century enthusiasts pass them by without giving them much thought. Often times those are the ones, like this one, that have cool period features intact and unspoiled, and for a far better price. I’ll get off my soapbox now. I have another 1959 swank palace coming up in there with a 40′ round rotunda living, when I get that one and pics I’ll be sure to share!

6. MoMoDeluxe Reply

December 21, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Ooooh how I love this house! I completely agree with Eartha Kitsch…there is something warm and inviting about this house. I truly hope that whoever buys it will keep everything intact!

December 24, 2010 at 4:20 pm

You can’t beat MCM kitchens and bathrooms!