Home » Decorating & Home » A Mid-Century Modern Rooster

January 18, 2011

A Mid-Century Modern Rooster

By RetroRuth

Nope.  I am not crazy. I really do have a Mid-Century Modern rooster.

Okay, maybe not completely MCM, but he is mid-century. And he looks modern. So, there you go.

I came across this little guy while in Bay City over the weekend. Yes, he was at an antique mall. And yes, I probably did pay to much for him. But it was love at first sight.

When I first say him, I thought, “Wow.”

Then I came back to take a picture of him, and I thought, “Wow.”

IMG_3808

Then I came back to buy him. And as I was checking out, I thought, “Wow.”

So, I think that sums it up:

Cool rooster.

Wow.

And now he lives at my house.

IMG_3820

This isn’t his final “nesting” place, but it’ll do for now, Rooster. It’ll do.

IMG_3822

His tail is my favorite part.

IMG_3823

The sticker on the bottom reads, “Bell of California”. I have been looking it up over the last few days, but haven’t found much online.  I think a trip to the library is in order to learn more about my new buddy. When I bought him the dealer said something about them coming in sets, but then clammed up and wouldn’t tell me anything else. Huh.

Anyone out there have any info?  I would love to hear it!

7 Responses to A Mid-Century Modern Rooster

1. Annie B. Reply

January 18, 2011 at 10:26 am

Ruuuuuuuuuth,

This rooster is worth every penny you paid, regardless. Roosters are so mid-mod, period; plus, this piece is fabulous California pottery. Think Metlox Poppytrail, etc.

The color and design are splendid. Conratulations on a great find!

2. Barbara Reply

January 18, 2011 at 11:58 am

Yeah, I probably would have paid too much for that myself!

January 18, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I’m going to say “wow!” too. He’s beautiful.

January 18, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Thanks, Annie! I will just have to take it from my Fairy Mod-Mother that it was a good deal. 🙂 The good news is that this guy is making me do more research into California pottery, and forcing me to learn about the brands you mentioned. Is there anything this rooster can’t do?

Thanks, Barbara! I just couldn’t leave him behind…

Eartha – I know, right?

January 18, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Annie is so right about it being a California pottery type product. That maker is listed here in a discussion about different classic California pottery companies:

Here is a lazy susan on eBay that has the same tag:

Those type potteries are addictive. I bet your rooster is going to be your gateway to the drug that is California pottery collecting! 🙂

This site doesn’t mention Bell Pottery but it sure is a pretty place to dream.

Sorry for all of the links.

January 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm

The rooster is fantastic Ruth and that color is killer! He matches my couches!!! 🙂

January 18, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Oooh! Your rooster is awesome!