Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Are We Heading For A Hat Trend?

January 25, 2011

Are We Heading For A Hat Trend?

By Sablemable aka Jan

Pun intended, Kate Middleton, fiance of Prince William has been sporting hats and the fashion press has noticed.   Just in case, we MCM women better stock up on hats.

The pillbox hat was an important accessory to the MCM woman during the Fifties and First Ladies Mamie Eisenhower and Jacqueline Kennedy wore them with panache.  Fashion advertisements showed models in pillbox hats.

I looked around to see if I could find pillbox hats on Etsy (www.etsy.com).

Seller shaynaxena has this marvelous navy pillbox in velvet and netting for $45.00.  It is in excellent condition!

Seller PoppycockVintage has a hot pink velvet pillbox in excellent condition for $34.00.

Seller studio1950 offers this black velvet pillbox in excellent condition for only $20.00!

For spring, seller GeneralWhimsy2 has this perfectly gorgeous teal straw pillbox with netting for $22.00!  Love the button detail on the top!

Seller leftylouvintage  has this never-been-worn pillbox with the sales tag intact.  Orange, mustard and red feathers make this a winner for only $30.00!

I love this baby blue pillbox with ivory netting from seller Yesterdays Silhouette!  It is in excellent condition and on sale for only $11.69!!!!!!

Sara, I thought of you when I saw this hat.  It is a vivid green velvet pillbox in great condtion from seller stickylipgloss.  The price?  $22.00.

So far my favorite pillbox hats shown are the teal straw and the black velvet.  I like them, too, because I have an odd shaped head and these two would sit nicely there!

What are your favorites?  Do you own a pillbox hat and do you wear it?

17 Responses to Are We Heading For A Hat Trend?

1. Annie B. Reply

January 25, 2011 at 10:22 am

These are gorgeous. I love hats, but look ridiculous in them; however, this sad fact does not keep me from wearing them.

How I do hope hats make a huge comeback. I’m headed to Etsy.

Thanks, Sable, for a great post.

2. Deb Reply

January 25, 2011 at 11:44 am

I love them – wish I felt more comfortable wearing them! Maybe I should just DO IT…!

January 25, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Oooohhhh, that green velvet hat is really cool Sable!

I do have this really sweet vintage pink hat I got from an antique store a while back. It has pink fabric flowers on it with glitter and a little pink net. It even had the original price tag still on it!

January 25, 2011 at 1:07 pm

All I can say is that man, I really do hope that hats come back! I love hats. And I am loving the one with the feathers, however I have no idea where I would wear a hat like that, LOL.

January 25, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Oh, I’m so glad that we’re in accord on hats, LOL!

If I were fit to wear a vintage gray flannel suit with gray and white spectators, seamed hose, a red patent leather purse, I’d snatch up the black velvet hat!

Annieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! You are so funny! Yep, I look horrible in hats, too, but I wear them as well!

Deb! Yes, take the plunge by buying a small hat, plain with no extra decoration. It would look good with a sheath dress, which is so MCM in style and still popular in women’s wear today.

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! With your beautiful red hair in the perfect upswept french twist, any of these hats would suit you! But I like the green hat best as it would compliment your hair color. Let’s see a pic of you and your pink hat someday, please!

Andreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! I love that hat, too, but look terrible in oranges and mustard colors. However, if I were to wear the hat, I would pick a color from it for the suit/dress I would wear. Probably an orange suit/dress, as I am a bit of a flashy dresser, LOL! Even a black suit/dress, or for contrast, how about olive green? Heels I would probably do in bone or beige with matching purse.

LOL, here I am giving fashion tips and I’m in my jammies and slippers!!!!!!!!

6. Annie B. Reply

January 25, 2011 at 3:00 pm

No, Sable, it’s not jammies and slippers…..it’s peignoir and mules – think of Betty Draper. (Old Betty D. was better dressed in her bedroom than I was at my wedding, but who’s counting, right?)

My mother is the world’s greatest wearer of hats; always has been. I can remember playing “dress up” in one of her lovely chapeaux from the 1940 which had a beautiful long face veil. Or, it did have until I bit a hole in the veil while eating an apple.

January 25, 2011 at 5:08 pm

OMG, Annie! I’m rolling in the aisle laughing my head off!

I don’t think my mother liked to wear hats because I never remembered her wearing them. However, she did wear red, red lipstick extremely well (pale skin, dark brown eyes, brown-black hair). I liked the red lipstick, too, and was caught once “drawing” with it in the white bathroom sink. It was so lovely, that red on white!

8. Annie B. Reply

January 25, 2011 at 5:16 pm

That is a true story. I kid you not. It was so traumatic that I remember it to this day.

Your mother sounds stunning! What was your favorite lipstick “crayon” shade….Love That Red, Fire and Ice, or Cherries in the Snow?

January 25, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Oh, Annie, I hope you didn’t get it too badly from your mom! It was just the way you put it that was so cute that I couldn’t help but laugh.

I don’t know what brand of red lipstick Mom used during the Fifties, but in the Sixties, she used Tabu Bermuda Red. She also used Tangee back in the Forties. Mom tried to use makeup on her legs to imitate hose when nylon was rationed during WW2 and ended up with a bad allergic reaction. The makeup was by Max Factor and I’ve never used their stuff because of what happened to Mom.

10. Annie B. Reply

January 25, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I think my mom thought my hat eating episode was funny, but she didn’t want to show it! It was the ’50’s, ya know.

I’ll bet your mom used Revlon cosmetics just as so many of our mothers did. I can distinctly remember a tube of Coty lipstick my mom had that smelled like birthday cake. Really. I wanted to eat it. (Seems like I want to eat everything, huh?)

Thanks for all this fun, Sable!

January 25, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Y’all are too funny Sable and Annie!

Speaking of lipstick……My Mom’s sister once colored my Mom’s entire face with bright red lipstick (their Mom’s/my Grams lipstick). My Grams FREAKED out and thought my Mom was bleeding from her face! Those crazy kids! I SOOOOO wish I had a pic of this!!!

January 26, 2011 at 11:46 am

Love, love, love hats! Alas, my head is enormous and none ever fit. It’s always just embarrassing.

13. Annie B. Reply

January 26, 2011 at 5:25 pm

OMG, Saraaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! I so wish you had a pic of that, too. Your poor Grandma!

Eartha, I understand enormity; however, in my case it’s my hair. Hats on my head make me look like a decorated Q-tip. But I still wear them, regardless.

January 26, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! LOL! We kids sure knew how to hit the right nerve with our “innocent” pranks!!!!!

Earthaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Big head, warm heart!

Annieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! Do you have a beehive ‘do? Remember those? A female relative had one back in ’62 and I watched her tease her hair with a rat-tail comb, then use a whole can of hairspray to hold it.

• RetroRuth Reply

January 27, 2011 at 9:24 am

Sable! I have a pic of my Mom going to prom with a beehive! I am going to have to dig that one out and scan it. 🙂

15. Annie B. Reply

January 27, 2011 at 10:56 am

The Bee Hive Do!!!!!!!! I’d forgotten all about it. My Mom had a fine one, so did her sisters. Childhood was kind of like being surrounded by Tippi Hedren clones.

Oh, to be able to have a bee hive. My own hair makes me look a little like Bill Clinton wearing a pill box – well, maybe not that bad, but close.

January 27, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Eartha – that is the beauty of a pillbox hat that just perches on your head – it doesn’t have to really fit! I too suffer from having a gigantic melon, where no hats fit, but I can still perch a pillbox on there 🙂